TV black after standby with 3.9

Old November 25th 03, 12:11 PM
Gary L. Drescher

Default TV black after standby with 3.9

I have an ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro, Catalyst 3.9 drivers, Windows XP Pro
(all updates installed). Often, after the PC resumes from standby (S3), the
TV no longer functions--the TV picture is solid black and there is no sound.
The only remedy I've found is to reboot. This seems to happen when the
computer has been in standby mode for several hours; shorter standby periods
are ok.

I've seen this problem reported six months ago for the older drivers (3.0),
but not more recently. Is anyone else seeing this with the 3.9 drivers?

Old November 26th 03, 08:04 AM
David Shorthouse

Gary,

I had a similar problem when Microsoft released a poorly researched
stream.sys file as part of an older version of DirectX. Since the most
recent version of DirectX, I haven't had your problem and use S3 every
night.

Dave

Old November 26th 03, 12:52 PM
Gary L. Drescher

Hm, I wonder what the problem is then. I do have the latest DirectX, along
with all other XP updates. This is a new computer with a fresh installation
of XP Pro and of the ATI software.

Thanks for the data point.

--Gary

Old November 26th 03, 11:54 PM
Gary L. Drescher

Have you had this particular anomaly? ATI tech support seems not to exist,
so I'm trying to figure this one out on my own. (Phoning ATI for their
advertised free 30-day tech support just results in getting put on
indefinite hold on a toll call. Emailing them results only in automated
replies that do not address the reported problems. Plus their web
problem-submission form is broken, and there's no way to try to report the
problem other than through the broken web form.)

link.net...

Old November 27th 03, 12:11 AM
JAD

You can try making sure all PM is disabled in the bios.....Don't try hibernation...try each PM setting one at the time e g first
spin down the HD's then spin them up blank the monitor bring it back then try standby....it could be another piece of HW also,
LAN Sound etc....I would get the no TV start up at all....black TV screen, none of the SW in MMC will start...right after wake up
from STandby..right now a .Pb4266 and the 533 one with a 9700p and a 7500AIW same thing on both and numerous other boards...I
hardly use standby as if the machine is on I'm in front of it or its shutdown.....I used to leave things running 24/7 but not
anymore....dust and un-needed wear and tear.

"Gary L. Drescher" wrote in message news:C2bxb.313410$HS4.2773498@attbi_s01...
Have you had this particular anomaly? ATI tech support seems not to exist,
so I'm trying to figure this one out on my own. (Phoning ATI for their
advertised free 30-day tech support just results in getting put on
indefinite hold on a toll call. Emailing them results only in automated
replies that do not address the reported problems. Plus their web
problem-submission form is broken, and there's no way to try to report the
problem other than through the broken web form.)

link.net...

Old November 27th 03, 01:41 AM
Gary L. Drescher

"JAD" wrote in message
link.net...
I would get the no TV start up at all....black TV screen, none of the SW

in MMC will start...right after wake up from STandby.

That sounds a little different from what I'm seeing. The rest of MMC works
fine; it's just the TV that's black and silent. Plus it only happens after
the PC has been asleep for hours (and even then only sometimes). If the
standby is brief, the problem doesn't occur. That makes it difficult to
experiment with.

I hardly use standby as if the machine is on I'm in front of it or its

shutdown.....I used to leave things running 24/7 but not
anymore....dust and un-needed wear and tear.

I have S3 standby set up to turn off the fans, so it's no more dust-prone
than a full shutdown.

--Gary

"Gary L. Drescher" wrote in message

Have you had this particular anomaly? ATI tech support seems not to

exist,
so I'm trying to figure this one out on my own. (Phoning ATI for their
advertised free 30-day tech support just results in getting put on
indefinite hold on a toll call. Emailing them results only in automated
replies that do not address the reported problems. Plus their web
problem-submission form is broken, and there's no way to try to report

the
problem other than through the broken web form.)

link.net...