Memory - compatible with Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo

Old May 27th 04, 10:54 PM
Steve Schooler

Default Memory - compatible with Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo

Wish to find 1 GB memory compatible with:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
(Pentium 4, Socket 478, 875P, ATX, 4GB DDR, 800MHz FSB)

Memory -Dual Channel Memory Architecture
-4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB PC3200/PC2700/
PC2100 ECC/ Non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory

One recommendation received is

1024MB Kingston Hyper-X DDR500 PC4000 RAM (512MB X 2)

Questions:

1. My understanding is that PC3200 is the same as DDR400, which runs at 400
MHz. However, the user recommendation is DDR500 PC4000. Does DDR500 mean
that it runs at 500 MHz? If so, why is it compatible with a motherboard
expecting PC3200. Also, what does the PC4000 nomenclature mean?

2. If either DDR500 or DDR400 is compatible with the motherboard, does it
make any sense to choose the (presumably more expensive) DDR500? Won't it
be impossible to get 500 MHz memory speed on the Asus P4C800-E, or is it
routinely feasible to "overclock the memory" on this motherboard?

3. In 2-3 years I may wish to keep the motherboard but expand the memory to 4
GB. Consequently, I'm considering buying 1024MB x 1 rather than 512MB x
2. Will this strategy work on this motherboard?

4. Are all DDR400's created equal? Request brand name or website
recommendations? Are all DDR500's created equal? Again, request brand
name or website recommendations?
Old May 28th 04, 05:14 AM
Paul

I'm not able to answer all your questions, however, since I just
purchased this same motherboard, and I spent some time researching this
same subject, I'll let you know what I found out and decided upon. I
originally was going to purchase 1GB of Kingston Hyper X for my Asus
P4C800-E also. After spending some time at different forums and
newsgroups, I decided on a matched pair of Corsair TwinX 512MB modules
for a total of 1GB. Most people that had this motherboard seem to lean
towards the Corsair RAM. I originally ordered the PC3700 RAM, which is
actually DDR466, with the intent of obtaining faster RAM which I could
use at stock settings (I'm not an overclocker), figuring that faster
must always be better. After ordering the PC3700 RAM, however, I
discovered this forum at www.corsairmicro.com,

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=130

After doing more reading at this forum, I discovered that the PC3700 RAM
I had ordered would actually be slower (due to higher latency timings)
that their PC3200LL or PC3200C2, which is DDR400. Now you would think
DDR466 would be faster than DDR400, but because of the lower latency
timings of the PC3200LL or C2, and because the 3.2C P4 that I would be
using doesn't have much headroom in the area of overclocking (the PC3700
actually would be better to use with a slower CPU, which, theoretically,
would be a better overclocking CPU, something to do with the FSB). Since
I really have no intention of overclocking, I was told by a few
knowledgeable people that the PC3200LL would be the way to go.

I'm not trying to steer you towards Corsair memory, that's a decision
you'll have to make. I will tell you, however, that making a decision to
buy RAM will probably be one of the hardest component decisions to make
when it comes to building a system. Visit Corsair's site, and see what
others have to say. If you wish, post a message asking the above
question, and see what kind of answers you get back. Visit Kingston's
site, and see if they have a similar forum.

And remember, higher numbers don't always translate into "faster."

Old May 28th 04, 06:03 AM
Louise

In article ,
says...
[...]

I had my system built for me with the same board, SATA drive, etc.
The installed Kingston Value Ram which does have the Kingston Label on
it, but Everest reads it as: Infineon and Kingston says yes, it is
Kingston Value memory.

I've had absolutely no trouble with it.

Louise