1440 x 900 Resolution Disappeared - Problem and Solution

Old April 13th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 1440 x 900 Resolution Disappeared - Problem and Solution

Hi,

I had a problem that's already solved. I just wanted to post the
problem and the solution so that if anybody else will happen to do
the same - he'll be able to find an answer and save some time.

I have a MSI GeForce4 MX4000 video card and a Polyview V398 monitor.
After installing a newer display adapter driver and VGA BIOS update,
the native resolution of my widescreen monitor (1440 x 900)
disappeared from the display settings. I tried my old WinXP (double
boot), but the setting disappeared there too.
Since it happened in both operating systems I was sure that the
installation flashed some firmware on my display adapter. So I tried
almost all the possible driver / VGA BIOS versions since the display
adapter came out (took me all day...), and it didn't help.

After I started losing hope, I recalled that after installing it, I
connected another computer to this monitor via a KVM. Apparently, the
KVM interfered somehow with the signal and the PC couldn't recognize
the supported resolutions of the "Plug and Play Monitor"
(as it's configured in the display settings).

Stupid and funny, but at least a good end

spgn

Old April 13th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

spgn wrote:
[...]

I don't know exactly what's up with the stupid default resolutions, but
I get the same thing on a CRT w/ my 6600GT. I didn't notice what
version it started in, but even with my monitor installed properly, the
NVIDIA NTune icon only shows odd resolutions like 1600x900 and 1360x768
instead of common ones like 1600x1200 and my max 1920x1440.

MultiRes doesn't have any problem though, it shows everything.
Honestly, unless you had an exact 16x9 LCD with a native resolution of
1600x900, why the heck would you use that?
Old April 13th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

'deimos' wrote:
| I don't know exactly what's up with the stupid default resolutions, but
| I get the same thing on a CRT w/ my 6600GT. I didn't notice what
| version it started in, but even with my monitor installed properly, the
| NVIDIA NTune icon only shows odd resolutions like 1600x900 and 1360x768
| instead of common ones like 1600x1200 and my max 1920x1440.
|
| MultiRes doesn't have any problem though, it shows everything.
| Honestly, unless you had an exact 16x9 LCD with a native resolution of
| 1600x900, why the heck would you use that?
_____

The resolutions 1600 X 900 and 1360 X 768 are wide screen; just about equal
to the Academy Standard for motion pictures (1.78, 1.77 and 1.85
respectively.)
The monitor driver determines the resolutions permissible not the video
card; that list to is limited to what is possible for the video card by the
video driver.

Phil Weldon

Old April 14th 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"deimos" wrote in message

| I don't know exactly what's up with the stupid default resolutions, but
| I get the same thing on a CRT w/ my 6600GT. I didn't notice what
| version it started in, but even with my monitor installed properly, the
| NVIDIA NTune icon only shows odd resolutions like 1600x900 and 1360x768
| instead of common ones like 1600x1200 and my max 1920x1440.
|
| MultiRes doesn't have any problem though, it shows everything.
| Honestly, unless you had an exact 16x9 LCD with a native resolution of
| 1600x900, why the heck would you use that?

MultiRes and other utilities are listing all available resolutions just
fine. It would seem NTune is listing a subset of available resolutions,
and custom ones show up after they're added.

Also if you go into the actual NVIDIA panel and move the slider to
change resolutions, it shows everything like you would expect, including
ones not shown on the NVIDIA icon's right click menu. Just an odd
behavior, nothing is actually gone.