first build, suggestions please

Old April 6th 04, 03:12 AM

Default first build, suggestions please

First, thanks in advance for all the information I have been reading from
past posts.

I have purchased (from newegg) the following to build and I would appreciate
any suggestions before I start.

Cooler master Wavemaster alum case
MB ASUS P4C800 DELUXE-UAY RETAIL
CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT
CPU THERMPASTE ARCTIC SILVER5 3.5G
CPU FAN A/I ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU RT
DDRAM 1GB TWINX1024-3700PT Corsair
RADEON 9800PRO
POWER SUPPLY ANTEC TRUE550 ATX RTL

HD 74GB WD 10,000RPM 8MB WD740GD
HD 200GB SEAGATE 7200 ST3200822A
CABLE HD IDEATA10/3 24"3H

CDRW PLEXTOR PX-PREMIUM/SW
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR PX-708A/SW R

MODEM USR 56K V.90 HW PCI 2976 OEM
WRLSS PCI ADPTR D-LINK DWL-AG530 DB
KB&MS LOGITECH CORDLESS MX DUO
CAMERA LOGITECH QUICKCAM PRO 4000 R
M-AUDIO SOUND CARD REVOLUTION RTL
LOGITECH Z-640 5.1 70 WATTS SPEAKER

CD MS WIN XP HOME w/SP1a

I may have made a mistake in the HD department? and these two drives cannot
be used in the same case?
I had planned to use the 10k rpm drive as the boot drive, and the 250GB as
the main data storage device.is this possible?

Thx,
Jon

Old April 6th 04, 07:46 AM
S.Heenan

x wrote:
First, thanks in advance for all the information I have been reading
from past posts.

I have purchased (from newegg) the following to build and I would
appreciate any suggestions before I start.

Cooler master Wavemaster alum case
MB ASUS P4C800 DELUXE-UAY RETAIL
CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT
DDRAM 1GB TWINX1024-3700PT Corsair
RADEON 9800PRO
POWER SUPPLY ANTEC TRUE550 ATX RTL

HD 74GB WD 10,000RPM 8MB WD740GD
HD 200GB SEAGATE 7200 ST3200822A
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR PX-708A/SW R
CD MS WIN XP HOME w/SP1a

I may have made a mistake in the HD department? and these two drives
cannot be used in the same case?
I had planned to use the 10k rpm drive as the boot drive, and the
250GB as the main data storage device.is this possible?

That's exactly how I'd use those two drives. Connect the WD Raptor to the
primaty SATA channel. Set the optical drive as the first boot device. Boot
from the Windows XP CD. Partition, format, install the OS and any later
Critical updates. Install this file to allow use of the 200GB Seagate.
**SATA drivers should install just fine with the Intel chipset. Otherwise,
us the F6 routine during Windows setup.

Reg48bitLBA for Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP3
http://seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html

Old April 6th 04, 01:30 PM
Patrick

S.Heenan wrote:
x wrote:

[...]

But, if you want speed, download the FREE Knoppix Live CDrom. that boots
from the CD, runs in RAMdisk, and, after trying it out, you can install
it to co-exist with your MS environments (up to 23 partitions/OSes per
hard drive!)

Plus, when the MS environment is broken from w0rms, virus, exploits, you
can boot from the Knoppix CD, or partition, and THEN copy all of your
data files! Knoppix bypasses ALL passwords in ALL MS partitions! Can
even burn a CDrom, or a DVD!
Yeah, there are now over 250 different OSes, with MOST free on the Internet!

True power comes from Knowledge. Genuine knowledge comes from knowing
where the bodies are buried! Oops, just kidding, Genuine Knowledge comes
from knowing the references, sources! Get the Source Code, too!

http://knopper.net/knoppix
http://linuxiso.org
http://distrowatch.com
http://www.bsd.org
http://freeos.com
http://yolinux.com

Old April 6th 04, 03:00 PM
S.Heenan

Patrick wrote:
But, if you want speed, download the FREE Knop...

snipped

*PLOP*

Old April 6th 04, 08:51 PM
Richard Dower

You've got a truely excellent system, except for the CPU...the 3.0e Prescott
chip is poor. It performs less that what an Intel 3.0c will give you and
runs 10C hotter.

The extra cache will not help you, save some money here and buy a 3.0c or
3.2c CPU.

Hard drive, ideally you should have two Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0,
then have an IDE drive for storage.

You can get 200-250GB drives real cheap now at Newegg. Overall you have
selected the very best parts available and many would choose the same.

I might suggest you purchase a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS also.

Old April 6th 04, 10:31 PM
Isaac Kuo

"x" wrote in message ...

I have purchased (from newegg) the following to build and I would appreciate
any suggestions before I start.

Suggestion one--wear earmuffs. Not really, but don't
be too surprised by the amount of noise this system will
generate.

[...]

Yes, it's perfectly possible, although my personal
preference is to have just one drive per computer (less
noise, heat, power, space, and chance of hardware failure).

I would recommend partitioning the drives in the
following way:

74Gig drive
~10G = Windows XP boot partition
~4G = Swap partition
~50G = Data partition
~10G = future use (i.e. Linux dual boot)

250Gig drive
~10G = WINDOWS XP BOOT PARTITION BACKUP
~230G = Data partition
~10G = future use (i.e. Linux dual boot)

IMO the most important part of this whole scheme is the
backup boot partition on the 250G drive. You should use
Ghost or some other utility to copy your working WinXP
boot partition to this backup partition every once in a
while--this backup program should be run off a bootable
CD or from Linux, NOT while WinXP is running. By doing
a periodic clean backup, you can recover quickly if your
boot partition gets fubar'd or if the entire drive goes
bad. If it's not a hardware problem, all you need to
do is copy from the backup partition and you're back in
business!

Note that all hard drives die sooner or later, regardless
of whether they receive outside "assistance" in doing so.
A hard drive can die at any time--any time! If you have
any critical data, keep a backup of it on both drives AND
make frequent backups to DVD-RW.

Now, perhaps you're thinking--I don't have Ghost or
Partition Magic. Is there any free bootable utility CD
that can do all that stuff? Yes! Download Knoppix, and
burn it to a CD. Even if you don't care one bit about
Linux, Knoppix is worth putting on a CD for its partition
management and comprehensive file reading capabilities
alone. It's a full featured OS that runs off of bootable
CD without installing anything on the hard drive. It
happens to have partition managing software also. As a
full featured OS, you can do so much more than merely
manage partitions--you can browse, view, and edit files,
transfer files to/from the network/internet, and so on.

Trust me. Download Knoppix, put it on a CDR. You'll
be thankful if your boot partition goes haywire.

Isaac Kuo