Thinking of buying a Dell? Think again!

Old November 10th 03, 03:47 PM
Psychomation

Default Thinking of buying a Dell? Think again!

1) We bought one PC and all went fine.
2) Ordered a second one many months later and for technical reasons,
cancelled the order within 24 hours by both fax and email. We received a
confirmation of the cancellation from the service rep. This rep was not
available by phone and would not return my call to the number left on
2 voice messages and 2 emails.

3) The next month, the full amount of transaction was charged to our
account!

4) Maybe worst of all, any communication to cust service has resulted in
the address being put on a mailing list.

5) The request to remove from list has resulted in a second "subscription"
to the same mailing list.

6) The "unsubscribe page" of the list gives a "Service not available"
error.

Conclusion - I will never ever have anything to do with Dell again.

Just in case you are scanning this forum with the intention of
purchasing... think twice about it.

Old November 10th 03, 04:24 PM
BWL

Man, you had it easy! If that's the worst that happened to you in dealing
with Dell, I'd say you were one of the lucky ones.

Unlike just a couple of years ago, horror stories regarding Dell's PC's,
return policies, and ESPECIALLY their worse-than-bottom-of-the-barrel tech
support have been rampant.

Dell apologists (customers who haven't been screwed yet, or Dell employees)
will post messages of praise, but what's happened to Dell recently is no
longer a secret. If more people did their homework, and actually talked to
recent Dell costomers, fewer people would make that expensive mistake. Dell
would (hopefully) eventually think about getting back to how it was in the
'90's.

But I understand the economics of it, and I doubt they will do that. All we
can do (after exhausting all options in dealing with Dell) is not do
business with them again.

....and warn future potential suckers of what awaits them.

Old November 10th 03, 04:35 PM
Col

Ive had the same thing happen with Screwfix, Argos and a place selling ink
and cds (UK) Its not just Dell Its a big company thing, why should they care
about your situation they are bigger than you and now have your money. what
can you do? they are all at it.

Col.

Old November 10th 03, 05:08 PM
Irene

LOL, I was just thinking the same thing as I read his post.

"BWL" wrote in message
[...]

"Psychomation" wrote in

message

Old November 10th 03, 05:51 PM
PC Gladiator

What can you do? If it's on a charge card immediately call your credit card
company and notify them the amount is in dispute. You'll have to follow up
in writing as well with those cancellation confirmatiuons. They WILL take
care of it.

Old November 10th 03, 05:59 PM
BWL

Actually, Dell used to be big AND good at the same time. Someone at the top
(we'll call him "Michael") did the math and realized that he'd make more
money, in the short term, being the exact opposite of what what got him to
the top in the first place.

Old November 10th 03, 08:07 PM
Psychomation

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:51:05 -0500, PC Gladiator wrote:

What can you do? If it's on a charge card immediately call your credit card
company and notify them the amount is in dispute. You'll have to follow up
in writing as well with those cancellation confirmatiuons. They WILL take
care of it.

All done immediately. Anex doesn't mess with his kind of thing. If Dell
doesn't credit us within 5 working days, Amex will and then they'll deal
with Dell.

Sure this could happen to/with any company (as someone else said above) but
Dell accumulated several really bad commerical screwups in this one small
order. I'll never deal with them again. And the double spam is not making
my desire to forgive them any stronger!
Old November 10th 03, 08:08 PM
Psychomation

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:11:33 GMT, HH wrote:

I read it, and just ordered my 2nd Dell ( an 1100 notebook) anyway. So
there!

You've been warned - and if you answer this, you lied about the plonk
Old November 10th 03, 08:52 PM
Dawn Killick

"HH" wrote in message
I read it, and just ordered my 2nd Dell ( an 1100 notebook) anyway. So
there!
Plonk
HH

You *are* Tom Scales and I claim my $5