P4C800E - Howto shutdown fans on standby?

Old July 27th 04, 07:28 AM
Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro Computers\)

Default P4C800E - Howto shutdown fans on standby?

My system has 2 chassis fans, and a Prescott CPU, so the combination is
quite loud.

Is there a way of shutting down some or all the fans when the system is in
standby? I can't use hibernating mode as I need the system to wake up very
fast.

Old July 27th 04, 10:00 AM
Paul

In article , "Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro
Computers\)" wrote:

My system has 2 chassis fans, and a Prescott CPU, so the combination is
quite loud.

Is there a way of shutting down some or all the fans when the system is in
standby? I can't use hibernating mode as I need the system to wake up very
fast.

Sounds like you are in S1, rather than S3 (suspend to RAM).
In S1, everything is still running, and the monitor gets blanked.

Ingredients for this to work would be:

1) ACPI enabled in the BIOS. (And, no, I don't know if your ACPI
2.0 setting makes a difference or not. My assumption is the
motherboard defaults should be good enough.
2) OS installed with ACPI HAL (hardware abstraction layer)
3) A copy of dumppo.exe

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe

From a dos prompt:

dumppo.exe admin /ac minsleep=s3

There is a bit of info in this thread:
http://forums.pcper.com/printthread....3&page=3&pp=15

That should stop the fans. In S3 state, the processor is shut down,
video card powered down etc, only DRAM is still powered, in order
to maintain refresh cycles.

Note: The Microsoft site isn't responding right now, and I don't
know of another site with the executable. Size is 13072 bytes for
the file. OK, found another site. Only this file is 13584 bytes ?
An extra 512 bytes ? Makes you say hmmm...

http://www.bellamyjc.net/download/dumppo.exe

I hope you can reach ftp.microsoft.com later today.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 28th 04, 04:46 AM
DanO

Enable "Suspend to Ram" in the BIOS, and then either reinstall XP or use the
DUMPPO.EXE mentioned in an earlier post.