AMD "Evergreen" DX11 Card Backplate Photo

Old August 16th 09, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Default AMD "Evergreen" DX11 Card Backplate Photo

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r..._videocard.jpg

2x DVI
1x HDMI
1x Displayport

Given the rarity of CRT monitors nowadays, this configuration makes more
sense than that 2GB Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X card I linked to last week.

Old August 17th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michael W. Ryder

First of One wrote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r..._videocard.jpg

2x DVI
1x HDMI
1x Displayport

Given the rarity of CRT monitors nowadays, this configuration makes more
sense than that 2GB Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X card I linked to last week.

What does CRT monitors have to do with VGA ports? A lot of LCD monitors
still only come with VGA connectors. And personally, I don't see a
reason for a HDMI connector as I have no interest in connecting a
computer up to a HDTV screen.
Old August 17th 09, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

First of One wrote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r..._videocard.jpg

2x DVI
1x HDMI
1x Displayport

I guess people have to change their old CRT TVs. HDMI-to-S-Video is very
very expensive!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.4
Old August 17th 09, 05:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

It's a two-slot card. There's a half-sized vent next to the bottom DVI
connector. It's similar to the backplate arrangement on nVidia's Quadro
FX5800:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images...adrofx5800.jpg

I wonder if this means the HD5870 (or whatever it will be called upon Sept.
10 launch) will be loud, thanks to the airflow restriction and associated
pressure drop.

"me/2" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:46:30 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

:http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r..._videocard.jpg
:
:2x DVI
:1x HDMI
:1x Displayport
:
:Given the rarity of CRT monitors nowadays, this configuration makes more
:sense than that 2GB Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X card I linked to last week.

Hmmm, 3 slot card or no outside exhaust??

me/2

Old August 17th 09, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"Michael W. Ryder" wrote in message
What does CRT monitors have to do with VGA ports? A lot of LCD monitors
still only come with VGA connectors.

Yes, the cheap store-brand LCDs, sure. They are half-assed solutions like
the motorized seatbelts from the late 1980s. In an LCD connected via VGA,
the image goes through an extraneous D/A - A/D conversion, with associated
quality loss.

And personally, I don't see a reason for a HDMI connector as I have no
interest in connecting a computer up to a HDTV screen.

You may have no interest. But I bet a good portion of gamers (who buy these
high-end dual-slot cards) want their games on a big HDTV screen. Then there
are displays like the Samsung T260HD that blur the line between TV and PC
monitor.

Old August 18th 09, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Shawk[_3_]

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
First of One wrote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r..._videocard.jpg

2x DVI
1x HDMI
1x Displayport

Given the rarity of CRT monitors nowadays, this configuration makes
more sense than that 2GB Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X card I linked to last
week.

What does CRT monitors have to do with VGA ports? A lot of LCD monitors
still only come with VGA connectors. And personally, I don't see a
reason for a HDMI connector as I have no interest in connecting a
computer up to a HDTV screen.

My Hand-G 28" monitor has HDMI.. I use HDMI to DVI on an ATI 4870 and
while gaming is my main interest I do like to watch BlueRay films too -
as I understand it HDMI to DVI means no signal conversion so no quality
loss. Looks great anyway

Old August 19th 09, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" wrote in
message ...
First of One wrote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r..._videocard.jpg

2x DVI
1x HDMI
1x Displayport

I guess people have to change their old CRT TVs. HDMI-to-S-Video is very
very expensive!

Indeed, though DVI to component adapters are only about $20.
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/dvtohdcoad.html Most analog TVs built in the last
ten years have component inputs.

So this is Hong Kong's version of Social Security?

Old August 19th 09, 09:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Default [ot]

So this is Hong Kong's version of Social Security?

Yes, SIR!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.28-14-generic
Old August 19th 09, 09:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Indeed, though DVI to component adapters are only about $20.
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/dvtohdcoad.html Most analog TVs built in the last
ten years have component inputs.

My homes are still using CRT TVs. No DVI port at all, only S-Video!