Standby vs. shutdown

Old February 28th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Standby vs. shutdown

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200.

I use it quite a bit (6-10 hours per day).

At times I am not using it for say 20 minutes to 3 hours.

I usually shut it down. If I am only going to be away for say 15 minutes or
so, I use standby.

Is there any rule of thumb as to which mode to use (standby versus
shutdown)?? I'm not worried about anyone else using my machine and generally
all files are saved before I leave the computer.

So it may come down to saving battery power versus increased wear and tear
for shutdown (and I'm not sure if there is a lot of wear and tear booting my
laptop -- is it the same as a desktop in terms of wear and tear and is it
significant)?

Mel

Old February 28th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

MZB wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 2200.

I use it quite a bit (6-10 hours per day).

At times I am not using it for say 20 minutes to 3 hours.

I usually shut it down. If I am only going to be away for say 15 minutes or
so, I use standby.

Is there any rule of thumb as to which mode to use (standby versus
shutdown)?? I'm not worried about anyone else using my machine and generally
all files are saved before I leave the computer.

So it may come down to saving battery power versus increased wear and tear
for shutdown (and I'm not sure if there is a lot of wear and tear booting my
laptop -- is it the same as a desktop in terms of wear and tear and is it
significant)?

Mel

Standby uses a good bit of power. I usually use hibernate. It is slower
than standby but much faster than rebooting. Hibernation does not use power.
Old March 2nd 06, 11:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Hi, I rarely shut down my computer...I use standby mode.
Considering your time away I would definitely use it (standby is around
1 watt of power-depending on the vintage of the computer)

Best of Luck

Old March 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

With my laptops, I almost always use standby. The only time I
wouldn't is if my laptop battery is getting low and I know I won't be
around a power outlet for a while and I won't need to use the laptop
for a few hours (a rare situation).

Windows XP is fairly stable so I don't need to reboot or restart like
in the past as much.

Journey