Computer freezes upon moving it

Old March 31st 07, 11:18 AM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
[email protected]

Default Computer freezes upon moving it

My computer often sort of freezes when I'm moving it (even with just a
few millimeters motion, e.g. when I'm vacuuming around it). The
symptoms are similar to when a process takes up 100 % of CPU: very
slow responses to my commands - sometimes even a few minutes (the
mouse can be moved around normally, though, and pressing NumLock,
ScrollLock, CapsLock on the keyboard reacts immediately); also, some
processes or applications cannot be shutdown, and you cant' really
start another application - you get a dialog box and a logged event:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to
terminate the application.

I've done some extensive RAM testing, but both sticks seem to be all
right.
The mainboard is Abit IS7-V2, running Windows 2000 Professional. CPU
is Intel Celeron D320 2.4 GHz.

What could be the cause for this and how to remedy the situation
(apart from leaving the box intact while on)?

Old March 31st 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to alt.os.windows2000 and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article . com,
says...
[...]

For one, it's best not to move a running computer. Desktop hard drives
are not really designed to handle motion while running.

I would double-check all cables and mounting points. Make certain there
isn't a loose screw floating around inside, or a loose mount for the
motherboard or other part causing intermittent connections. In
particular, pay close attention to the CPU and heatsink/fan, as that is
often a lot of weight hanging on it's side (assuming this is a common
tower-style case.)

You may also want to remove/re-insert the memory if you haven't. There
could be some corrosion or a bad connection that any slight vibration
causes a glitch.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old March 31st 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Dan G

"Andrew Rossmann" wrote in message I
would double-check all cables and mounting points. Make certain there
isn't a loose screw floating around inside, or a loose mount for the
motherboard or other part causing intermittent connections. In
particular, pay close attention to the CPU and heatsink/fan, as that is
often a lot of weight hanging on it's side (assuming this is a common
tower-style case.)

You may also want to remove/re-insert the memory if you haven't. There
could be some corrosion or a bad connection that any slight vibration
causes a glitch.

Power connectors also, Molex connectors are often loose or a single wire is
loose inside the connector itself.

Old March 31st 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Stephen

On 31 Mar 2007 03:18:39 -0700, had a flock of green
cheek conures squawk out:

[...]

Static electricity.
Power plug not in completely.
Bad connection somewhere.

Stephen
Old April 1st 07, 05:41 AM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Kyle

"Stephen" wrote in message
| On 31 Mar 2007 03:18:39 -0700, had a flock of
green
| cheek conures squawk out:
|
| My computer often sort of freezes when I'm moving it (even with
just a
| few millimeters motion, e.g. when I'm vacuuming around it). The
| symptoms are similar to when a process takes up 100 % of CPU: very
| slow responses to my commands - sometimes even a few minutes (the
| mouse can be moved around normally, though, and pressing NumLock,
| ScrollLock, CapsLock on the keyboard reacts immediately); also,
some
| processes or applications cannot be shutdown, and you cant' really
| start another application - you get a dialog box and a logged
event:

| Event Type: Information
| Event Source: Application Popup
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 26
The
| application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK
| terminate the application.
|
| I've done some extensive RAM testing, but both sticks seem to be
all
| right.
| The mainboard is Abit IS7-V2, running Windows 2000 Professional.
CPU
| is Intel Celeron D320 2.4 GHz.
|
| What could be the cause for this and how to remedy the situation
| (apart from leaving the box intact while on)?
|
| Static electricity.
| Power plug not in completely.
| Bad connection somewhere.

Add to the list poor electrical contact at the crimp locations for the
Molex HD power connector pins, which caused intermittent HD problems
with one system I worked on. It sure sounds like a poor electrical
connection somewhere, or even more nightmarish, a broken circuit board
runner that is making and breaking in response to mechanical movement
causing flexing of the circuit board.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old April 1st 07, 10:30 PM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Ron Gibson

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 00:41:59 -0400, Kyle wrote:

Add to the list poor electrical contact at the crimp locations for the
Molex HD power connector pins, which caused intermittent HD problems with
one system I worked on. It sure sounds like a poor electrical connection
somewhere, or even more nightmarish, a broken circuit board runner that is
making and breaking in response to mechanical movement causing flexing of
the circuit board.

Boy you got the nightmarish part right as this type of failure can be a
real PITA.

I have had the HD power plug do that more than once. Actually you
shouldn't have this problem unless you are unlucky and got a lemon
connector or in my case I'm plugging and unplugging drives all the time.

Most frustrating one I ever had to trace down ( the first time) the
connection would only fail when I was using Drive Image to backup about
10GB of data - Using the copy partition function. It would make it about
3/4 of the way through and then lock up. Small backups were not a problem
and I could boot both drives without error.

After a LOT of cussing I found that one of the wires (1 red, 1 orange
and 2 blacks) was ever so slightly loose were it slipped into the back
of the plug. My guess is the high throughput under those conditions made
just enough heat to expand the fitting and open that connection.

I never narrowed it down more than that as I just took some wire cutters
and cut it off and wired up a good plug. It took me a good 4 intense
hours of work to find that.

But I could have done it faster if I'd followed the suggested method of
removing every thing you can and still boot. Then add one device at a
time until the fault shows up - But heat of the moment and all that...

Another culprit to watch out for especially with 80 wire EIDE ribbon
cables is a broken or failing connector where the wires attach to the
plug. Those are small wires and they can't take a lot of stress -
remove by pulling the connector NOT the cable. Use needle nose pliers
if you have to.

BTW, this is a good NG - Lots of wise and experienced folks in here...

Email -
Replace borg with net

Old April 2nd 07, 07:41 AM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Kyle

"Ron Gibson" wrote in message
news | On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 00:41:59 -0400, Kyle wrote:

| Add to the list poor electrical contact at the crimp locations for
the
| Molex HD power connector pins, which caused intermittent HD
problems with
| one system I worked on. It sure sounds like a poor electrical
connection
| somewhere, or even more nightmarish, a broken circuit board runner
that is
| making and breaking in response to mechanical movement causing
flexing of
| the circuit board.
|
| Boy you got the nightmarish part right as this type of failure can
be a
| real PITA.
|
| I have had the HD power plug do that more than once. Actually you
| shouldn't have this problem unless you are unlucky and got a lemon
| connector or in my case I'm plugging and unplugging drives all the
time.

In my case, the connector was fine, the contact pin (that slides into
the connector) crimped on the end of the wire was making good contact
with the insulator and intermittently touching the conductor.

| Most frustrating one I ever had to trace down ( the first time) the
| connection would only fail when I was using Drive Image to backup
about
| 10GB of data - Using the copy partition function. It would make it
about
| 3/4 of the way through and then lock up. Small backups were not a
problem
| and I could boot both drives without error.
|
| After a LOT of cussing I found that one of the wires (1 red, 1
orange
| and 2 blacks) was ever so slightly loose were it slipped into the
back
| of the plug. My guess is the high throughput under those conditions
made
| just enough heat to expand the fitting and open that connection.
|
| I never narrowed it down more than that as I just took some wire
cutters
| and cut it off and wired up a good plug. It took me a good 4 intense
| hours of work to find that.
|
| But I could have done it faster if I'd followed the suggested method
of
| removing every thing you can and still boot. Then add one device at
| time until the fault shows up - But heat of the moment and all
that...

| Another culprit to watch out for especially with 80 wire EIDE ribbon
| cables is a broken or failing connector where the wires attach to
the
| plug. Those are small wires and they can't take a lot of stress -
| remove by pulling the connector NOT the cable. Use needle nose
pliers
| if you have to.

Well, I didn't mention the other PITA electrical connection problem,
but cold solder joints can also give the intermittent failure
symptoms. I've spent plenty of time tapping on circuit boards in my
day. If one does try this, use a non-conductive tool for the
"tapping" and tap lightly. Seems that such problems are less common
with the vapor phase soldered SMD boards, but one can never be too
confident with any manufacturing process as things can fail anywhere.
I've seen dirt on a mobo interfere with the operation of the IDE
controller, simply brushing the dust/dirt of the mobo fixed the
problem.

And the comment on IDE cables is very pertinent, as I tend to pull on
the cables to remove them, which I know is a bad habit, but getting
needle nose pliers to grip the connectors is equally a pain. Too bad
the old connector ejectors (which add maybe a few cents to the cost of
the connector) are no longer in use, they DID server a valid purpose.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old April 2nd 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Ron Gibson

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 02:41:52 -0400, Kyle wrote:

Well, I didn't mention the other PITA electrical connection problem,
but cold solder joints can also give the intermittent failure
symptoms. I've spent plenty of time tapping on circuit boards in my
day.

Well you got me on the solder thing. I'm just too much of as klutz to be
fooling with solder connections. If it gets to that point I buy another
mobo

as things can fail anywhere. I've seen dirt on a mobo interfere with
the operation of the IDE controller, simply brushing the dust/dirt of
the mobo fixed the problem.

Here's a wild one. My old Engineering prof was an instrumentation
expert. They had designed some sort of a device (forgot exactly what)
that had this huge resistor in the circuit for the power industry where
high voltages and currents are the norm. Antway the power company kept
calling about problems with the unit. They found a mold had grown
around the connections and since it had a lower resistance it was
shorting the circuit. Solution: They cleaned it again and encased it in
epoxy :-)

And the comment on IDE cables is very pertinent, as I tend to pull on the
cables to remove them, which I know is a bad habit, but getting needle
nose pliers to grip the connectors is equally a pain. Too bad the old
connector ejectors (which add maybe a few cents to the cost of the
connector) are no longer in use, they DID server a valid purpose.

I have a pair that I've never seen anywhere else with a very thin nose.
I use these things all the time. They are perfect for grabbing stuff in
those confined spaces. I'd have a panic attack if I ever lost them.

Email -
Replace borg with net

Old April 5th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.os.windows2000,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Linea Recta

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
[...]

Cards and/or cables making bad contact (interruptions) while moving the case
might disturb certain software from running properly.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../