KG7 and cempron 2200

Old January 28th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
lancerdad

Default KG7 and cempron 2200

I have an old KG7 that had an AMD 1800 that ran fine for several
years. I am trying to get a cempron 2200 running in it with no luck.
I tried several settings in the soft menu but get no farther than the
XP logo screen. Is there any any way this board can run this CPU or
should I just go back to the old 1800? Is so what settings can I use
in the soft menu?

Thanks,
Brian in MI

Old January 28th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Wes Newell

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:45:22 -0800, lancerdad wrote:

I have an old KG7 that had an AMD 1800 that ran fine for several years. I
am trying to get a cempron 2200 running in it with no luck. I tried
several settings in the soft menu but get no farther than the XP logo
screen. Is there any any way this board can run this CPU or should I
just go back to the old 1800? Is so what settings can I use in the soft
menu?

The Semprons require a 166MHz FSB to run at default speeds and the KG7
only does 133. That means the Sempron 2200+ will run at 9x133.33 or
1200MHz in your old board. Even if your board did do 166MHz, the Sempron
2200+'s default speed is 9x166.66 or 1500MHz, while your 1800+ XP is
11.5x133.33 for 1533MHz. BTW, if you are getting to the Windows XP logo
screen, the cpu IS running and booting the OS. In the end, you are better
off with your old 1800+. And if you happen to have a Tbred B core 1800+,
you can clock it up to about 2400MHz. If it's an older Palomino core,
close the L1 bridges and then change the multiplier to 12.5, etc., etc,
etc. Post the part number stepping code and date code off the cpu and we
can tell you what you have.

Old January 29th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Brian

Thanks for the reply! I will give you the specs off the old 1800 before I
put it back in.

Brian

Old January 29th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Brian

Here are the numbers I got off the heat sink. Good thing I had a magnifying
glass! Thanks again.

Brian

AMD1800DMS3C
AGNGA0203SPDW
Y7593040098
1999 AMD

Old January 29th 07, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Wes Newell

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:34:45 -0500, Brian wrote:

AMD1800DMS3C
AGNGA0203SPDW
Y7593040098
1999 AMD

AMP1800DMS3C maybe?

Palomino core Athlon MP 1800+. It may already be unlocked. I think most
MP's were. Try setting CPU Operating Speed to User Define and then set
the Multiplier factor to 12 and see if it boots as a 1900+. If it does,
then try the higher settings til you get the fastest speed. Make sure
Speed Error Hold is disabled.

Old January 29th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Brian

Thanks Wes,

I am going to pop it back in today and see if I can crank it up faster than
I had it before. I am also putting on a new heatsink and fan so combined
with that and new paste it should run cooler. I'll let you know.

Brian

Old January 29th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
lancerdad

Well I might have screwed up even more messing with changing CPU's! I
put the 1800 back in and no boot no video. I am not sure what could
have happened but I got nothing. I put the ceptron back in with 9x166
and it booted but still hang at the windows users screen. Maybe I
should go to ebay and find someone to trade CPUs with LOL.
Should I play around with the 1800 anymore or just assume it's dead?
Thanks again for the help.

Brian

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.orghttp://mysettopbox....yth.htmlUsenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My serverhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

Old January 30th 07, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Wes Newell

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:59:28 -0800, lancerdad wrote:

Well I might have screwed up even more messing with changing CPU's! I put
the 1800 back in and no boot no video. I am not sure what could have
happened but I got nothing. I put the ceptron back in with 9x166 and it
booted but still hang at the windows users screen. Maybe I should go to
ebay and find someone to trade CPUs with LOL. Should I play around with
the 1800 anymore or just assume it's dead? Thanks again for the help.

Try clearing cmos and then booting again with the 1800+. As for why
windows hangs, I couldn't say, I don't do windows.

Old January 31st 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Brian

Wes,

I put the 1800 in another MB which is bad just to see if the 1800 would
work. Left heatsink off and fired it up and it almost burned my finger in
like 3 seconds. Turned off the juice right away and put another coat of
paste and put it back in the abit and it fired up! Can't figure out what
happened the other time? Currently running as a 1900. Thanks for all the
help. This will close this thread out.

Brian