No DOS display with DVI connection ??

Old January 12th 05, 04:40 AM
Mike

Default No DOS display with DVI connection ??

I have a 20" DVI LCD display with a FX5900 DVI
card, connected with a DVI cable.. Windows works
fine, only I can't see dos, or even get into my
BIOS for that matter..
Is this normal?
Anyone else have this problem??

MIKE..
Old January 12th 05, 12:26 PM
Homer J. Simpson

Is the DVI port on your video card the primary port? If not, the analog VGA
port is the primary port and will be the only port active during POST and
therfore DOS mode. The DVI port will not become active until the video
driver is loaded by WIndows. This is the way it worked when I was using a
G4Ti4600 with my LCD panel.

So the answer to your question "Is this normal?" is YES for the older
generations of video cards where the DVI port is not the primary video port.
If you need to work in DOS mode you will have to use the VGA port on the
video card, that is, if your LCD panel has an analog VGA port. Yep, I found
it inconvenient so I upgraded my video card.

I am now using a 6800GT with my 20.1" LCD where the DVI port is the primary
port on the video card and always get a digital video signal. The default
video resolution during POST, as detected by the LCD panel, is 1280x1024
digital.

Old January 12th 05, 07:14 PM
Neil J Bundy

When I had my MSI GF4Ti4400 I had this issue. Luckily I have an AG Neovo
F-419 which has both DVI and analogue inputs, and I simply connected
both ports on the card, set the DVI to primary in the windows driver,
but the analogue still displayed for BIOS, DOS, etc.

Just transferred over to an AGP Galaxy 6600GT 128mb and I just connected
it exactly the same way. Both work fine. I must say I've not tried it
using just one.

Note you only need the windows driver to be set to single display not
clone, dualview, etc.

Neil.

In message 1I8Fd.58606$6l.40099@pd7tw2no, Homer J. Simpson
writes
[...]

.. .

--
Neil J Bundy
Old January 16th 05, 07:15 AM
McGrandpa

"Mike" wrote in message

I have a 20" DVI LCD display with a FX5900 DVI
card, connected with a DVI cable.. Windows works
fine, only I can't see dos, or even get into my
BIOS for that matter..
Is this normal?
Anyone else have this problem??

MIKE..

That's weird. I've used two different LCD monitors with several
different AGP cards in the last two years, and every one will show the
DOS and BIOS screens with DVI port being used. Radeons 8500 and 9800
Pro, GF4 Ti4600, FX5900 and now GF6800. All using the DVI port with a
19" Envision monitor.
Maybe, just maybe, it could be your BIOS is set to init PCI first, not
AGP?

McG.

Old January 21st 05, 05:02 PM
Mike

nah.. My BIOS is set to AGP..
My card is a BFG FX5900..
Sometimes after the system is running for a few
hours, after multiple reboots, I will get a dos
screen.. Weird. I'm at a loss..

MIKE...