Mx440 to 5200 ?

Old December 7th 03, 01:13 PM
David B

Default Mx440 to 5200 ?

Will I notice much improvement with a 5200 or 5600 board. I currently have a
MX440 GF4 with 128mbDDR. I have a 40.?? driver installed any my games MOH /
Veges make it big etc run ok. I saw a 5200 with 128 ram at a computerfair
today for £65 looked good . Any advice please
Also should I upgrade my existing drivers with my MX440 card will taht show
any benefit?
Thanks

Old December 7th 03, 01:23 PM
Psymaster

"David B" wrote on Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:13:14
GMT in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

Will I notice much improvement with a 5200 or 5600 board. I
currently have a MX440 GF4 with 128mbDDR.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-12.html

Check out the benchmarks yourself. You won't see a big improvement.
Old December 7th 03, 02:32 PM
Darkfalz

"bluestringer" wrote in message
.. .

/
Veges make it big etc run ok. I saw a 5200 with 128 ram at a

computerfair
today for £65 looked good . Any advice please
Also should I upgrade my existing drivers with my MX440 card will taht

show
any benefit?
Thanks

See if you can find a 5200 Ultra. Frame rates in my games doubled from

what
I got with the MX440. And I can use Ansio and AA without loosing much.

Yep. All 5200s are not created equal. A plain 5200 with 64 bit memory bus
will be less than half the speed of a 5200 Ultra (or even a 5200 with 128
bit memory and a decent overclock).

Old December 7th 03, 08:26 PM
Psymaster

"Darkfalz" wrote on Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:32:44
GMT in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

A plain 5200 with 64 bit memory bus
will be less than half the speed of a 5200 Ultra (or even a 5200
with 128 bit memory and a decent overclock).

Why, can't 64-bit cards be overclocked?
Old December 8th 03, 01:10 AM
Darkfalz

"Psymaster" wrote in message
"Darkfalz" wrote on Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:32:44
GMT in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

A plain 5200 with 64 bit memory bus
will be less than half the speed of a 5200 Ultra (or even a 5200
with 128 bit memory and a decent overclock).

Why, can't 64-bit cards be overclocked?

Yes, but they are slow. Specifically the ram. Overclocking the GPU is
pointless because of the massive memory bottleneck. And on cards cheap
enough to be 64 bit, they usually have cheap ram chips too (so crap
overclock for them too).

Old December 14th 03, 06:24 PM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:13:14 +0000 (UTC), "David B" wrote:

Will I notice much improvement with a 5200 or 5600 board. I currently have a
MX440 GF4 with 128mbDDR. I have a 40.?? driver installed any my games MOH /
Veges make it big etc run ok. I saw a 5200 with 128 ram at a computerfair
today for £65 looked good . Any advice please

Fx5200 - You won't see much of an improvement in most cases. You'll probably see some
better textures, in some games, faster, some slower frame rates.

Speed wise - the two cards are about comparable in raw performance. However in my
experience, the fx5200 just looks better...

Fx5600 - no comparison to the Mx440. Apples and oranges. The fx5600 vastly out performs
it.

Also should I upgrade my existing drivers with my MX440 card will taht show
any benefit?
Thanks

Your milage may vary. Probably not. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Higher than
30.82 I believe on a mx440 - makes no difference. If I'm not mistaken...

ll
Kanda'

SPAM-KILLER- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandajeatbresnandotnet

You figure it out...
Old December 25th 03, 01:55 AM
Kevin Ferguson

I have found with my card {GF 4-440se 64 mb, eVGA} any drivers beyond 31.00
give no increase in performance, and sometimes degrade
performance/stability. The 31.00s' have been rock solid for me.

"Tweaking-the act of taking a perfectly functioning system and tuning it
until it will not run."

Old December 26th 03, 01:45 AM
Louie

"Kevin Ferguson" wrote in message m...
I have found with my card {GF 4-440se 64 mb, eVGA} any drivers beyond 31.00
give no increase in performance, and sometimes degrade
performance/stability. The 31.00s' have been rock solid for me.

"Tweaking-the act of taking a perfectly functioning system and tuning it
until it will not run."

I have the exact same problem. The out of the box drivers work fine
but the new drivers cause all kinds of trouble. I have read that the
OEM drivers work better if you have a MOBO that has onboard video, and
the newer drivers do not work right with a MOBO with video on the
MOBO