Need help determining capacitor value

Old December 25th 03, 12:41 AM
Erwin Dokter

Default Need help determining capacitor value

Any electronic wizards out here?

I got a trashed unbranded (probably Chaintec) nVidia ti4200, which is
missing a capacitor. Believe it or not, the card is still running, but
in Windows, the screen is all messed up (vertical stripes and
corruption). I hope this is due to the missing capacitor, which could
well cause underpowered memory chips.

The card is a reference design. However, I have been unable to
determin the value; it's the only one on the board. Here is a picture
of a similair card. The value I'm after is that of the purple
aluminium electrolytic capacitor on the top right hand of the card
(C2267). This is the only pic I could find, and I can't read it

http://www.dantes-inferno.net/resour...y/grafik-1.JPG

If anyone knows what value it has, or has a suggestions for
alternative parts, please let me know.

-- Erwin Dokter
Old December 25th 03, 03:58 AM
PRIVATE1964

What is listed on the capacitor is not the value or at least not in the
way it usually is listed. It is also tough to read in the picture. Your better
off typing what is there.

To me it's a part number for a certain value capacitor. I also think you could
put in a larger value capacitor and be OK. You don't know what value it is, but
usually the capacitor size for an electrolytic is related to its value. The
dielectric can be different though and its rated voltage.

Old December 25th 03, 04:43 AM
Mark A

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
What is listed on the capacitor is not the value or at least not in

the
way it usually is listed. It is also tough to read in the picture. Your

better
off typing what is there.

To me it's a part number for a certain value capacitor. I also think you

could
put in a larger value capacitor and be OK. You don't know what value it

is, but
usually the capacitor size for an electrolytic is related to its value.

The
dielectric can be different though and its rated voltage.

The C2267 is just an internal number used by the factory that corresponds to
a schematic and circuit board. I think the poster knows that is not the
value of the capacitor. This is usually listed on the circuit board, not on
the capacitor itself.

Almost always, you can use a higher voltage capacitor with no problem, but
it is not good to vary the capacitance value from the original design.

My understanding is that the guy does not have the board in the picture with
the good capacitor, he only has the pic. Someone who has that card should be
able to read the specs on the capacitor itself.

I see what looks like 82 and 16 on the capacitor. Looking at my Digi-Key
Catalog, I see that 16 volts is a common voltage rating for electrolytic
capacitors, and 82 uF is one of the common capacitance ratings (although
there are also some at 8.2 uF). You might try a Panasonic HFQ Series
Radial-Lead Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor with the above rating.

Here is section of the catalog I looked at:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T033/SectE.pdf

Old December 25th 03, 05:38 AM
PRIVATE1964

The C2267 is just an internal number used by the factory that corresponds to
a schematic and circuit board. I think the poster knows that is not the
value of the capacitor.

That's not what I meant. I meant sometimes the number listed on the part is not
actual value, but is a part number and not the value. I wasn't talking about
the schematic number.
If you knew what was listed on the part, and its tough to tell from the pic. I
would start searching catalogs or even online. If there is any kind of logo or
company marking then I would start at the company that made it. You could also
ask someone with that card to identify the numbers like you said.
That card in the picture is an MSI 4200.
Old December 25th 03, 05:45 AM
Mark A

The C2267 is just an internal number used by the factory that corresponds
a schematic and circuit board. I think the poster knows that is not the
value of the capacitor.

That's not what I meant. I meant sometimes the number listed on the part

is not
actual value, but is a part number and not the value. I wasn't talking

about
the schematic number.
If you knew what was listed on the part, and its tough to tell from the

pic. I
would start searching catalogs or even online. If there is any kind of

logo or
company marking then I would start at the company that made it. You could

also
ask someone with that card to identify the numbers like you said.
That card in the picture is an MSI 4200.

There are several numbers easy to see on the capacitor. One is 16 and the
other is 82 (or 8.2). The other markings are probably the manufacturer and
model number.

If you look at the pic in full pixel mode (100% on Photoshop, etc) it is
easier to see the numbers. A web browser compresses the pic to fit on the
screen.

Old December 25th 03, 06:38 AM
PRIVATE1964

There are several numbers easy to see on the capacitor. One is 16 and the
other is 82 (or 8.2). The other markings are probably the manufacturer and
model number.

If you look at the pic in full pixel mode (100% on Photoshop, etc) it is
easier to see the numbers. A web browser compresses the pic to fit on the
screen.

I have the option in internet explorer shut off for adjusting picture size, but
I also use the broswer built into AOL which is also internet explorer not sure
if that version adjusted the picture size when I looked at it.
I don't have the original post anymore with the picture link so I can't look at
the picture in Photoshop. I did find a good picture of the same video card,
but the cap was covered by the websites logo.
The numbers I could read were close to what you say, but if it was my card I
would want to be 100% sure. If there is a marking for the company that made it
I would go to their website first. I have found out what a lot of components
were such as IC's that way.
If you can post the picture link again.

Old December 25th 03, 07:22 PM
Jack McKenzie

Looking at a reference card all the Purple cap are Sanyo marked 510/4 105c
3a no other values given I hope this helps
Jack

om...

Old December 25th 03, 08:02 PM
Mark A

"Jack McKenzie" wrote in message
om...
Looking at a reference card all the Purple cap are Sanyo marked 510/4

105c
3a no other values given I hope this helps
Jack

I think he is talking about the cap in the upper right hand corner. It is
aluminum with a small purple marking on top. It is different than the other
purple caps on the board.

Old December 25th 03, 08:47 PM
Mark A

"Jack McKenzie" wrote in message
om...
Looking at a reference card all the Purple cap are Sanyo marked 510/4

105c
3a no other values given I hope this helps
Jack

I think he is talking about the cap in the upper right hand corner. It is
aluminum with a small purple marking on top. It is different than the

other
purple caps on the board.

Sanyo has three capacitors that look like the C2267.
http://www.secc.co.jp/retri_e/os_smd_index_e.html

There is a Sanyo conductive polymer type capacitor 16SVP82M which has
capacitance of 82 uF and 16V that has the same purple markings as the photo.
This assumes that three letters say SVP or something close (can't tell for
certain from the photo). I believe that the number on top is the
manufacturing lot number, which is not important for your application:
http://www.saga-sanyo.co.jp/test/cgi...ode.cgi?id=SVP

There are also two other Sanyo capacitors with similar markings and with 82
uF and voltage rating of 16 V:

The first is the 16SVQP82M (which appear to have a 2-letter SP markings on
top). This unit has a higher heat rating.
http://www.saga-sanyo.co.jp/test/cgi...de.cgi?id=SVQP

The second is the 16SVPA82MAA (which appear to have either the 4-letter SVPA
or 2-letter SA markings on the top). This has a large ripple current.
http://www.saga-sanyo.co.jp/test/cgi...de.cgi?id=SVPA

There is not a big difference in the three version other than heat rating
and ripple current rating. But I would go with the 16SVP82M. Probably any
conductive polymer type capacitor with 82uF and 16V rating would work OK if
you cant find the Sanyo. Capacitors are not proprietary like IC chips.

Old December 26th 03, 02:15 AM
Erwin Dokter

Wow! Thank you so much mark.

It was the "82" that stumped me... that is a pretty exotic value. I
thought only 10x, 15x, 22x, 35x, 47x and 75x were the going values. I
hope my local electronics shop carry these; they usually have only to
10x's, 22x's and 47x's of everything (their credo: "That's close
enough". Of course, it's almost impossible to have everything in
stock.)

I'm going to test first if the missing cap is the source of the
problem, or is the card is truly shot, by soldering a regular 100 uF
in it's place. Should be close enough