Avoid PNY and FX 5900 SE ? Why?

Old December 17th 03, 07:27 AM
Luke Piasecki

Default Avoid PNY and FX 5900 SE ? Why?

I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE 5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

Thank you,
Luke

Old December 17th 03, 10:08 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:54:26 +1300, william bell
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:27:42 GMT, "Luke Piasecki"
wrote:

I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE 5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

The SE or TX versions are a very good buy, not like the crap SE ATI ones..

We can ALL thank Nvidia for this mess...

Besides the CONFUSION of 5200 / 5600 / 5700 / 5900 Ultra or not (= 8
card types) They have to add SE and XT as well?

XT = low end... lower than Non Ultras.

Se doesn't mean squat.

GF4 MX440 = good (for this junky card)
GF4 MX440se = overclocked MX420 - its even slower.

Ti4800 = Ti4600 with a new name
Ti4800SE = Ti4400 with a new name

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 17th 03, 10:27 AM
Daniel Crichton

Darthy wrote:

Ti4800 = Ti4600 with a new name
Ti4800SE = Ti4400 with a new name

Almost - the 4800 and 4800SE are the AGP 8x versions of the 4600 and 4400
GPUs (the originals being the AGP 4x versions).

Dan

Old December 17th 03, 02:24 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Luke Piasecki" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE

5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

Thank you,
Luke

As nobody else has addressed the PNY part of your question, I googled up
numerous complaints that PNY does not provide good warranty service. In
general, PNY is alleged to hang owners of defective cards up in red tape and
unreasonable documentation demands instead of just honoring their "lifetime"
warranty. The reliability of such reports *is* open to question, but there
are a lot of them.

Old December 17th 03, 04:28 PM
Dark Avenger

"Luke Piasecki" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE 5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

Thank you,
Luke

PNY has an interresting way to define "life time warranty".

Technicly once they stopped making the cards, the support is gone! And
yes they can do that, read their fine lines!

Old December 18th 03, 02:39 AM
John Lewis

wrote:

I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE 5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

The SE or TX versions are a very good buy, not like the crap SE ATI ones..

We can ALL thank Nvidia for this mess...

Besides the CONFUSION of 5200 / 5600 / 5700 / 5900 Ultra or not (= 8
card types) They have to add SE and XT as well?

XT = low end... lower than Non Ultras.

Se doesn't mean squat.

GF4 MX440 = good (for this junky card)
GF4 MX440se = overclocked MX420 - its even slower.

Ti4800 = Ti4600 with a new name

and 8X AGP

Ti4800SE = Ti4400 with a new name

Ditto.

Two simple words:-

CAVEAT EMPTOR ( Latin: let the buyer beware )

All vendors play this sort of game. SE versions of cars
are frequently stripped down versions of other models.

Applies to all purchases. The habit of blaming others
has become endemic. Hasn't your daddy taught you to
read the "small print"? If you don't know precisely what
you are purchasing or you are not willing to find out,
then have a qualified 3rd-party update your computer.

Now, if a product does not meet the published
terms in its manufacturer's spec, that is quite a different
issue. Or the wrong product is either deliberately
or inadvertently shipped to a customer.

John Lewis

Old December 18th 03, 02:46 AM
John Lewis

wrote:

I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE 5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

Thank you,
Luke

1. the 5900 is better/faster than the 5900SE. I have a eVGA 5900/128.
Excellent card. Overclocks nicely.........YMMV of course.

2. PNY has discontinued the 5900. So getting a brand-new RMA
is a crap-shoot.

3. PNY RMA turn-around cycle is months. My son's experience.

4. PNY may use ??? parts. Exploding cap on well-ventilated video
board. My son's experience.

John Lewis

Old December 18th 03, 05:17 AM
Mike Gale

"Luke Piasecki" wrote:

I've been trying to finally buy a geForce FX 5900 card, but most of the
widely available ones in my area are PNY and the eVGA 5900SE. I remember
readign somewhere posts that adviced to stay away from PNY brand or FE 5900
SE, why? Isn't the 5900 better than the 5900?

Here's the rundown:

PNY : Misleading advertising, dubious business practices, essentially
no warranty.
Gainward : Misleading labeling
nVidia : Cheating, lying, poor hardware
ATI : Cheating, crappy drivers

And I'm not even going to go into crippling, price fixing.. etc

It's a mess and the only reason all these companies can get away with
such disgusting behaviour is the relatively young customer base with
more money and greed than brains.

Old December 18th 03, 05:46 AM
Fred

One thing people don't like about PNY is their warranty. They state
"lifetime" on the package, but inside they say lifetime is the life of the
product ON THE MARKET.

So if you buy one and they declare it off the market, two months after you
buy it, then your "lifetime" is only two months. LOL.