Sound problem

Old June 22nd 04, 08:26 PM
Sonars_UK

Default Sound problem

Hi,

My system was crashing all the time (using WinME) so I have just upgraded to
WinMX Pro. The intallation went quite well but now I can't get any sound
and in control panel it says that no sound device is intalled (the sound
worked fine on the previous set up under WinME).

I had a new motherboard installed six or so months ago and as I am a
complete hardware novice I can not find out if it has sound on board. The
motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X-X. When I look for the spec on their website,
under audio it says: ADI 1980 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface.

Does this means that the sound card is part of the motherboard? If not, how
do I find out the make and model of my sound card? Or is there a generic
sound driver that I can download? I am suprised that if a sound device is
intalled on my system (which it must be) that Win MX did not detect it
during installation.

Any information would be greatly received.

Regards,

Sonars UK

Old June 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
Cuzman

"Sonars_UK" wrote in message

" My system was crashing all the time (using WinME) so I have just upgraded
to WinMX Pro. "

WinMX is a filesharing program. Are you sure you don't mean Windows XP Pro?

Anyway, you can download all the drivers for the A7V8X-X he
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...elName=A7V8X-X

Old June 23rd 04, 12:33 AM
MisterSkippy

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:26:13 +0100, "Sonars_UK"
wrote:

[...]

My comp originally came with Win98SE installed. Sound card was
integral to the ASUS MB. I later upgraded to ME and had no problems
with sound. Later yet I swapped harddrives and did a clean install of
ME. No sound! I had to reinstall the sound drivers from the MB CD. You
might try that.
FWIW
YMMV
DFB
For email remove "_no_spam_"
Old June 23rd 04, 01:19 AM
kony

wrote:

Hi,

My system was crashing all the time (using WinME) so I have just upgraded to
WinMX Pro.

Upgraded or did a clean install (of WinXP)?
It would be a bad idea to upgrade an OS that's already quite crashy...
even though WinME is not the greatest, it is stable enough (within the
limits of it's design) that it's not going to crash enough that it would
prompt an upgrade... whatever the problem was, might easily still be
present, just masked by the different OS.

The intallation went quite well but now I can't get any sound
and in control panel it says that no sound device is intalled (the sound
worked fine on the previous set up under WinME).

Well, yes, you need new drivers for EVERYTHING.
Just beause WInXP may have drivers "built-in" for some of your devices,
doesn't necessarily mean you should be using those drivers instead of the
full-featured, modern driver from the board maker or chipset manufacturer.
In other words, download a full set of Win2K/XP drivers from Asus and
check on newer versions from the chipset manufacturer, including the Via
4in1.

I had a new motherboard installed six or so months ago and as I am a
complete hardware novice I can not find out if it has sound on board. The
motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X-X. When I look for the spec on their website,
under audio it says: ADI 1980 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface.

The sound is a feature of the Via southbridge, IIRC, but what you mention,
the "ADI 1980", is the analog codec for that. Asus should have the driver
for download or IF they consider WinXP to provide suitable support, it
should be mentioned.

Does this means that the sound card is part of the motherboard? If not, how
do I find out the make and model of my sound card? Or is there a generic
sound driver that I can download? I am suprised that if a sound device is
intalled on my system (which it must be) that Win MX did not detect it
during installation.

yes, sound is built into board, not a card but an integrated feature. It
is evidenced by audio ports on the rear I/O shield or a dongle instead of
ports on a card at the case slot bracket (though the dongles for some
audio features like digital I/O may still use a slot bracket plate), but
typically Asus now uses a stack of three audio ports in a row for their
integrated-audio boards, which may now be ALL of their boards, i don't
recall seeing any that don't have audio but then I haven't looked for any
either... bottom line is that if you didn't add a sound card yourself (or
someone else who built the system, didn't) then it has to be integrated
onto the motherbaord.

It is surprising that WinXP didn't detect it. Check the bios and/or
jumers for settings, though the settings should already be at least
partially correct else you wouldn't have had sound in WinME.

This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Sound problem Dave General 1 December 7th 03 01:41 PM
Sound Problem Jack Bruss General 3 November 24th 03 12:44 AM
Problem with built-in sound when upgrading Jon Greene General 4 July 10th 03 10:41 PM