probs with nVidia FX5600 video card, LCD monitor and Linux

Old December 6th 03, 06:29 AM
Larry Gagnon

Default probs with nVidia FX5600 video card, LCD monitor and Linux

I have recently installed Mandrake Linux v9.2. In the install setup
screen for graphics card I chose nVidia GeForce FX and flat panel
1280x1024 monitor. My graphics card is actually an Abit Siluro FX5600
(nVidia chipset) and my monitor a Hansol H950 LCD panel fed digitally.

I was unable to make any combination of available nVidia graphics card
drivers panel - generic monitor combinations give me a proper graphics
en. Consequently I am booting to a non X logon and otherwise the
install went beautifully. (This should force me to learn the command
line a bit quicker!).

I have been to the Abit website, and they forward you to the nVidia
website for their nVidia chipset graphic cards driver - which is one
package for all of their cards. That driver is dated July 28th, 2003,
so I wonder why it wasn't included in the 9.2 release?

At any rate, I would appreciate hearing from others whether this
driver works with your Vidia FX series cards?

Is there anything special to the X system regarding LCD flat panel
monitors that I need to specify in the Xfree98 config file?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Larry Gagnon
Old December 6th 03, 07:49 AM
Bimmer_Ray

No that driver will not work. I just found & installed this driver for
Mandrake 9.2, PNY GeForceFX 5700. Now I can play UnrealTournament.
LCD, I'm using a ViewSonic VP171b monitor and I did not specify anything the
XFree98 config file. Good Luck.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37074

Old December 24th 03, 05:14 AM
farqua

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:29:33 -0800, Larry Gagnon wrote:

I have recently installed Mandrake Linux v9.2. In the install setup
screen for graphics card I chose nVidia GeForce FX and flat panel
1280x1024 monitor. My graphics card is actually an Abit Siluro FX5600
(nVidia chipset) and my monitor a Hansol H950 LCD panel fed digitally.

I was unable to make any combination of available nVidia graphics card
drivers panel - generic monitor combinations give me a proper graphics
en. Consequently I am booting to a non X logon and otherwise the
install went beautifully. (This should force me to learn the command
line a bit quicker!).

A "proper graphics en"? I assume that you can subsequently start the X
server and run in graphics mode. Sounds like you need to change your
default to run X windows from the start, which is unrelated to your
monitor type. Type "/sbin/runlevel" at the commandline to find out what
runlevel you are using. If the reply is "N 3", you are starting up in text
mode and need to change to runlevel 5 (graphic mode). If this is the case,
you can either edit your inittab file to run at runlevel 5 (if you know
what your are doing) or go into Mandrake Control Center (mcc) and change
your system boot settings by checking "Launch Graphical Environment when
your system starts" in DrakBoot of the Boot section.

I have been to the Abit website, and they forward you to the nVidia
website for their nVidia chipset graphic cards driver - which is one
package for all of their cards. That driver is dated July 28th, 2003,
so I wonder why it wasn't included in the 9.2 release?

The nVidia drivers are not open source software covered under GPL;
so, I think it doubtful that Mandrake or any other Linux distribution
will include nVidia drivers. In fact there is a warning message in the
startup screen about using non-open source software. I believe that I have
the same driver (vers 4496) working with my nVidia FX5200 and Mandrake
9.2 but I am using a Princeton Ultra95e monitor, not a flat screen.