fx 5200 sweet deal but will it work ?

Old May 11th 04, 04:06 AM
Skybuck Flying

Well all you smart assess...

If I didn't wash it it would have died anyway... because of overheat or I
would start hitting it...

Anyway now it's just working fine so I am lucky.

The dust was like 1 centimeter thick ok !

Just wait until your super super super duper truper dustsucker is like that.

You have two options:

1. Clean it as good as you can and maybe even oil it... - costs almost
nothing.

2. Or buy a new 400 dollar card.

Take your pick

By the way... the should apply a special coating so that it doesn't short
circuit !

It's as simple as that.

Ok, and I also said I let it dry for a 2 or 3 hours ok !

Apperently that was not long enough.

I am just lucky lucky lucky.

And thx to nvidia for making such a great card =D

I will definetly make sure my next card is an nividia card =D

Old May 11th 04, 04:12 AM
Tim

"CBFalconer" wrote in message

He should rub it down thoroughly with a steel wool soap pad, such
as SOS or Brillo. Then oven dry at 450 degrees F. for 90 minutes.

Better safe than sorry, set the oven for "clean".

Old May 11th 04, 04:18 AM
Skybuck Flying

"We Live For The One We Die For The One" Mr wrote in
message ...

Why you want such a low end card, most gforce4 cards are more
powerfull ?

How much does a gforce 4 cost ?

There are so many cards... I dont know them all...

Some talk about nv30,31 etc.. some talk about fx 5200, 57000 and now you
talk about geforce 1,2,3,4...

See the confusion ?

Besides it's an old system... a new card would be overkill

And also... a fanless card seems really handy... less noise means higher
concentration and more relaxing and as I mentioned no dusts problems
etc... no hitting the computer etc etc lol.

The high end cards have super dust suckers, that s the problem.

Also the high end cards have very very big dust suckers and take a 2 slot
space ouch !

I want my pc's to last you know

Also I wonder if E3 2004 will have some details about doom3 or even a
demo...

I also wonder if it's possible to build a almost or even totally fanless
system that can still play doom3 at 640x480x32 bit colors.

That's good enough or maybe 800x600x32 if the font requires it.

I never play at higher resolutions than that for shooters anyway... except
for real time strategy games or so... but those dont require high fps

I also dont need advanced stuff like anti aliasing or FAA whatever that is..
or over sampling... I even put off the vertex lighting in rtcw so I can see
better.

So my next 3D card should be able to run Doom III at 800x600x32 bit colors
at at least a frame rate of 30 fps... I believe doom3 requires 60 fps so
that might be a problem.

I dont need anti ailiasing or FAA or any other technique that slows down the
game with a factor of more than 2.5 or so.

For example for a shooter: tri-linear filtering... I dont really need it.
over sampling I dont really need it... high resolution I dont really need
it.

Most shooters are fast paced... so most of the time you dont even really
look at stuff but sometimes you do just to enjoy it

I just need the basic stuff like Transform and Lightning... otherwise the
textures dont display at all, I just see what. I want the lighting to look
decent and for doom III ofcourse the shadows and texture should look good as
well so that means bump mapping and maybe those pixel shaders
And maybe also mipmapping and eum ansi trophic filtering... however that's
not really required if it's to much of a performance hit.

See most important thing is: T&L, Pixel Shaders, Shadows stuff, Texture
support , Bump mapping whatever, mipmapping.

That's must important.

I think a card like FX5200 can do those just fine except maybe the shadow
stuff...

The newer FX5700 seems to do it even a bit better ?! but doesn't have
video in and is more expensive and a dust sucker

Skybuck.

Old May 11th 04, 02:29 PM
Cuzman

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

" Besides it's an old system... a new card would be overkill "

As far as I know, the best fanless card is the MSI FX 5500 128MB:
http://snipurl.com/6avv . However, an FX 5500 would be overkill for a
P3-450Mhz, so you would need to put something like that with a faster CPU.
Anyway, I expect the minimum requirements for Doom3 and Half-Life 2 would be
somewhere between 600Mhz and 1.2Ghz when they eventually come out.

According to the Asus website, the P3V4X can take a P3-1.0 Ghz or a P3-1.0B
Ghz with a BIOS update to 1006.003: http://snipurl.com/60r3 . I'm not sure
if those clock-speeds are from 10x100 or 7.5x133, so you'd need to look into
the processor spec a bit more. The problem is that, for the price that a
1.0Ghz P3 goes for on eBay, you could buy an AMD 2500+ and motherboard combo
(!?).

Old May 11th 04, 02:49 PM
kony

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:29:50 +0100, "Cuzman"
wrote:

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

" Besides it's an old system... a new card would be overkill "

As far as I know, the best fanless card is the MSI FX 5500 128MB:
http://snipurl.com/6avv . However, an FX 5500 would be overkill for a
P3-450Mhz, so you would need to put something like that with a faster CPU.
Anyway, I expect the minimum requirements for Doom3 and Half-Life 2 would be
somewhere between 600Mhz and 1.2Ghz when they eventually come out.

According to the Asus website, the P3V4X can take a P3-1.0 Ghz or a P3-1.0B
Ghz with a BIOS update to 1006.003: http://snipurl.com/60r3 . I'm not sure
if those clock-speeds are from 10x100 or 7.5x133, so you'd need to look into
the processor spec a bit more. The problem is that, for the price that a
1.0Ghz P3 goes for on eBay, you could buy an AMD 2500+ and motherboard combo
(!?).

Should accept a Tualatin Celeron (1.3GHz @ Pricewatch = $36 delivered)
with one of these adapters;

http://www.strattoncomputer.com/slot1-fcpga2.html

or if he already had a FCPGA-compatible slotket then just add this
instead:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...370TUA&cat=CPU
Old May 11th 04, 11:58 PM
General Schvantzkoph

You can run any AGP card in your system. I just put an Nvidia 5900XT into
a similar box, PIII 500MHz AGP2X, it works fine. (BTW I'm planning to
build a new AthlonFX system next month when the 939 pin CPUs and
motherboards come out, the 5900XT is pointless in this system but I wanted
to get one before the channel dried up). For your system you should buy
something in the $79 price range, that would probably be a GeForce 4 with
64M. The 5200 is probably in that price range and it would be fine also.
Old May 12th 04, 12:12 AM
~misfit~

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Well all you smart assess...

If I didn't wash it it would have died anyway... because of overheat
or I would start hitting it...

Anger management problems?

Anyway now it's just working fine so I am lucky.

You sure are.

The dust was like 1 centimeter thick ok !

That's pretty bad.

Just wait until your super super super duper truper dustsucker is
like that.

That will never happen. I open my PC and dust all heatsinks and clean all
fans every few months.

You have two options:

1. Clean it as good as you can and maybe even oil it... - costs
almost nothing.

2. Or buy a new 400 dollar card.

3. Do routine mainaitance on your PC.

Take your pick

By the way... the should apply a special coating so that it doesn't
short circuit !

It's as simple as that.

Ok, and I also said I let it dry for a 2 or 3 hours ok !

Apperently that was not long enough.

Not long enough at all. At least 24 hrs in the hot-water cupboard is the
standard for this type of hardware abuse.

I am just lucky lucky lucky.

And thx to nvidia for making such a great card =D

nVidia make excellent GPUs, they don't make many cards.

I will definetly make sure my next card is an nividia card =D

Wise move. Oh, and, just open the case every few months and check for dust.
Also, don't keep your PC on the floor where there is most dust and try to
afford the rent for something better than a packed-earth-floored shed to
live in.
--
~misfit~

Old May 12th 04, 02:13 AM
Skybuck Flying

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Skybuck Flying wrote:
"We Live For The One We Die For The One" Mr wrote
in message ...

Why you want such a low end card, most gforce4 cards are more
powerfull ?

How much does a gforce 4 cost ?

There are so many cards... I dont know them all...

Some talk about nv30,31 etc.. some talk about fx 5200, 57000 and now
you talk about geforce 1,2,3,4...

See the confusion ?

Besides it's an old system... a new card would be overkill

And also... a fanless card seems really handy... less noise means
higher concentration and more relaxing and as I mentioned no dusts
problems etc... no hitting the computer etc etc lol.

The high end cards have super dust suckers, that s the problem.

Also the high end cards have very very big dust suckers and take a 2
slot space ouch !

Nah man. When are you going to get it? You need to vacuum your place once

in
a while, keep it relatively clean and dust-free, and don't keep the PC on
the floor. They're only dust suckers if the environment is full of dust,
otherwise they're air suckers.

You may be getting confused when certain websites/publications described

the
*sound* of some of the nVidia reference cards as dustbusters. It doesn't
mean you can substitute them for your household vacuum cleaner, you still
need to use that now and again.

Hmm that's a good tip.

I DO PLACE MY PC ON THE GROUND !

But it's a HIGH TOWER.

The PC Tower gets full with dust.

I have a wooden table. I think if I put the PC on the table it might start
to resonate.

Besides from that it takes a lot of space on the table !

I rather not waste that space !

The fans just make it worse they gather stuff up.

If it wasn't for the heat these towers could be air sealed preventing any
dust form getting in.

I rather have a sealed pc which transports heat via heatsinks on the side of
the tower casing or something.

Old May 12th 04, 02:58 AM
~misfit~

Skybuck Flying wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

Doesn't matter, most PCs suck air in the bottom of the case, right near the
floor.

The PC Tower gets full with dust.

That's why I *never* put a PC on the floor.

I have a wooden table. I think if I put the PC on the table it might
start to resonate.

Shouldn't.

Besides from that it takes a lot of space on the table !

I rather not waste that space !

It's not wasted if it's saving your hardware.

The fans just make it worse they gather stuff up.

They suck air for cooling, if that air comes from a dusty place then they
suck dust too.

If it wasn't for the heat these towers could be air sealed preventing
any dust form getting in.

I rather have a sealed pc which transports heat via heatsinks on the
side of the tower casing or something.

How much money you got? What you propose isn't really feasible and would
invlove the use of heatpipes, probably custom-made. (You can't just cool the
outside of the case). The new BTX standard should help in this regard. At
the very least vacuum the area around your PC regularly, moving it if
needed. Even lifting it off the gound a few inches by putting it on
something (Books? A low wooden shelf?) is better than sitting on the floor,
especially carpet.

Most of all, regularly open and dust the inside of your machine. (A
paintbrush is good for that, *I* don't recommend using a household vacuum
cleaner inside a PC, ther is a risk of static discharge frying your
components) I do this (paintbrush and blow) every few months anyway, even
though my PC is on the desk next to the monitor. Usually drops my temps a
few degrees.
--
~misfit~