blank black screen from boot cd (s)

Old December 25th 03, 03:13 PM
Dr Richard Cranium

i keep another pci video card around just because of the gf3 blank screen (and that was a
while ago).
can't afford for my agp to get shut off - ever.

I have the ati 9800pro now, i switched to ati after the gf3 became aniquated, and have
followed the ATI train since (i see not reason to get the XT though - i would want at
least 50% increase before i went to the ati upgrade.

anyway do the obvious. go back to the standard vga drivers (unless that is what you mean
by "various")

in your mobo bios, does it let you select the agp/pci first [ ] ? - set the opposite.
how about the reserved mem 64 meg [ ] ? - change this number.

then there is the "not enough watts power supply" problem - the power supply needs
cleaning, or is just at the ragged edge of being able to power your PC. I run a 450 and
500 watt servers power supplies (major amounts of perf connectors also).

My ati9800pro requires a separate power connector plugged in to the card itself.

other ideas: mobo bios: try ( temporarily) shutting off com ports,lpt, usb, Let the mem
timing slide up or down.
the idea here is to get your mobo plug n' play to rethink what is plugged in to it.
i've even popped the mobo battery out and zeroed the mobo bios (do this with 115vac power
unplugged). Like in go eat dinner, go down to the pub - take a break while the cmos is
draining (assumes zeroize jumper in place on mobo)
kinda hard to sit the and hold a screw stick across two mobo solder pads eh. just insure
it is cleared before you bring the PC back up for another mobo pnp attempt.

got two mem sticks ? swap them - to see if you have a failing mem stick.

merry christmas and happy new year !!

Hope this helps,

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html

**savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...r1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

NFS: drive at the limits of tyre adhesion ! snag Lara's Croftraider IV sports car ! !
NFS3:NFS4
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider

"duh" wrote in message news:BKIGb.10990$JD6.1141@lakeread04...
: Switching back to Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 with default MS drivers made no
: difference.
:
: I will be hosed if something breaks and I can't use PQRE CD to restore
: backup image No floppy installed, want to live without but suppose I could
: stick one in...
:
: I've combed the web quite a bit looking for info with no luck except for the
: one post that involved a massive procedure involving using a PCI graphics
: card (which I don't have) for a slightly different problem... don't want to
: go there...
:
: If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.
:
: :-(
:
: "Ayoub" wrote in message
: ...
: seem to recall that if you had a GF4 card installed you got that
: behaviour.
: switching to a different card temporarily for install may be the way
: forward.
: cheers
:
: "duh" wrote in message
: news:wNGGb.10988$JD6.587@lakeread04...
: My DIY system had been coming along fine but now does the "blank black
: screen" thing after "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..."
: screen with any Boot CD including XP Pro (compatibility wiz has no
: complaint).
:
: I'm suspicious of video card: original XP install and testing of
: other boot cd's went fine with previous NVIDIA cards...
:
: I've "upgraded" to Sapphire Atlantis (ATI) 9500 128MB.
: Found 1 other post elsewhere of someone with similar problem who got
: around
: it by changing video card...
:
: Tried various video drivers including original disk, Driver Cleaner 2.6
: etc.
: with no joy...
:
: mobo Asus p4c800 deluxe...
:
: Guess I'll yank the card and go back to old Nvidia to see how that
: works...
:
: Any ideas?
:
: TIA
:
: duh
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old December 25th 03, 11:37 PM
Geoff

duh wrote:
Switching back to Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 with default MS drivers
made no difference.

I will be hosed if something breaks and I can't use PQRE CD to restore
backup image No floppy installed, want to live without but suppose I
could stick one in...

I've combed the web quite a bit looking for info with no luck except
for the one post that involved a massive procedure involving using a
PCI graphics card (which I don't have) for a slightly different
problem... don't want to go there...

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

:-(

test your memory
www.memtest86.com

Old December 27th 03, 03:31 AM
duh

Can't use memtest86: no floppy, can't see anything but black when booting
from cd. Catch 22

"Geoff" wrote in message

test your memory
www.memtest86.com

Old December 27th 03, 04:06 AM
duh

Figured it out: leaving USB SanDisk ImageMate memory card reader connected
causes this problem.
I've had the thing for a long time and used on a couple PC's so didn't
suspect it, guess I'd never tried to boot from CD with it connected until
recently.

definitely DUH.