'Old' games and glide wrapper

Old September 15th 03, 01:52 PM
meshJ

Default 'Old' games and glide wrapper

Getting a 9800 non pro in the near future. Looking around there seems to be
probs with Quake 2, Half Life and a few other games with new cards being too
fast. I wouldn't call these games old as I enjoy quite a few games from the
glide and quake 1 era.

Is there more info on the problems these games are having, any solutions and
will I have probs with the really old games?

Also, do people use a Glide to DX wrapper which actually works on the modern
ATIs?

TIA

meshJ

Old September 16th 03, 04:56 AM
Scott

Dont have a 9800 but have the 9600 Pro. Saw your post. Hadnt played Q2 in
a long time so just loaded it and tried it. On install it couldnt find
Direct3D and wanted to re-install DX. Dont know what version that would
have been (4?) but of course ignored that and carried on installing. It
then said I didnt have a 2x CD player installed (which is of course correct)
so I ignored that and carried on installing. No other probs.

When I fired it up I didnt of course get an option for D3D under rendering
so chose default openGL. Game played no prob whatsoever except for being
dark even on highest game brightness setting. I could change this in the
ATI control panel tho'.......

I had the same problem in XP with older games being too dark with my
9700pro so I downloaded RadeonTweaker. It is a simple program that
allows you to adjust the Gamma before and after playing a game. I
just placed a shortcut on the desktop.

There are other settings you can piddle around with. Wouldn't someone
here like to update this program for today's cards?

http://radeontweaker.sourceforge.net/

Half Life (and Opfor and Blue shift) were some of the games I loaded back
onto the PC as soon as I got the new card - no probs with those at all.

(Win XP Pro, XP2100+, 512meg of DDR2700)

HTH.

Old September 16th 03, 09:30 PM
Phydeaux

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:52:10 +0100, meshJ wrote:

Getting a 9800 non pro in the near future. Looking around there seems to be
probs with Quake 2, Half Life and a few other games with new cards being too
fast. I wouldn't call these games old as I enjoy quite a few games from the
glide and quake 1 era.

Is there more info on the problems these games are having, any solutions and
will I have probs with the really old games?

Also, do people use a Glide to DX wrapper which actually works on the modern
ATIs?

TIA

meshJ

For my Radeon 9700 Pro, I use evoodooxp-3.2 for Quake2 for Glide to OpenGL.
I put Glide2X.dll and Glide3x.dll into C:\Windows\System. Set video options
in Q2 to 3DFX GL. I have tried 3 or 4 different wrappers, some just don't
work. You have to experiment.

For DOOM and DOOM 2 using Legacy 1.4 video set to OpenGL in Legacy
Launcher.

For Quake using Tenebrae.
--
E-mail address is phony