Mobo problems fixed -- now I'm getting a STOP error

Old July 14th 03, 09:30 PM
Cyde Weys

Default Mobo problems fixed -- now I'm getting a STOP error

Cyde Weys wrote:

Thanks in advance for the help. In the mean time I'll try the
recovery disks and see if I have any luck with them.

No-go. Those are setup disks to install Windows on a computer without a
bootable CD-ROM drive. What do I use for my situation?

--
Usenet is a strange reality where you see people beating up a patch of
grass where nine years ago there used to be a horse. -Nuke

Old July 15th 03, 02:38 AM
Cyde Weys

Cyde Weys wrote:
Cyde Weys wrote:

Cyde Weys wrote:

Thanks in advance for the help. In the mean time I'll try the
recovery disks and see if I have any luck with them.

No-go. Those are setup disks to install Windows on a computer without
a bootable CD-ROM drive. What do I use for my situation?

Stupid me, I forgot about my XP CD. I found that and I got it to boot
into a recovery console. I'm not used to DOS though. What command(s)
do I type in to prep the system to boot on its own next time and
auto-detect the new mobo?

I found some drivers for my A7V8X-X on the Asus website and transferred
them to a floppy disk. There's an installation program that can be run
from the command line. Small problem -- in the recovery console it
won't let me execute the program! It just says "The command is not
recognized." when I supply a fully qualified path to the executable
file. In Linux I would just do something like /mnt/floppy/setup.exe -i
.... but in this lame ass DOS prompt A:\SETUP.EXE -i doesn't work at all.
There's no "RUN" command either, that'll take a path to an executable
and run it. How do I do this?! Thanks.

Old July 15th 03, 02:55 AM
Cyde Weys

Cyde Weys wrote:

I found some drivers for my A7V8X-X on the Asus website and transferred
them to a floppy disk. There's an installation program that can be run
from the command line. Small problem -- in the recovery console it
won't let me execute the program! It just says "The command is not
recognized." when I supply a fully qualified path to the executable
file. In Linux I would just do something like /mnt/floppy/setup.exe -i
... but in this lame ass DOS prompt A:\SETUP.EXE -i doesn't work at all.
There's no "RUN" command either, that'll take a path to an executable
and run it. How do I do this?! Thanks.

I tried running a command prompt on my working system, and to run a
program all I need to type is the program's name (if I'm in that
directory, anyway). So I'm guessing the recovery console that my XP CD
booted into doesn't have the capability to execute programs. So I guess
the only option I have left is to copy the correct .dll (or whatever
the file extension for driver files is) into the correct directory.
This isn't going to be easy. Can someone point me to the correct driver
files for the A7V8X-X motherboard, and where to copy them in the Windows
directory to get everything working again? Thanks.

Old July 15th 03, 03:46 AM
Cyde Weys

Cyde Weys wrote:
Cyde Weys wrote:

I found some drivers for my A7V8X-X on the Asus website and
transferred them to a floppy disk. There's an installation program
that can be run from the command line. Small problem -- in the
recovery console it won't let me execute the program! It just says
"The command is not recognized." when I supply a fully qualified path
to the executable file. In Linux I would just do something like
/mnt/floppy/setup.exe -i ... but in this lame ass DOS prompt
A:\SETUP.EXE -i doesn't work at all. There's no "RUN" command either,
that'll take a path to an executable and run it. How do I do this?!
Thanks.

I tried running a command prompt on my working system, and to run a
program all I need to type is the program's name (if I'm in that
directory, anyway). So I'm guessing the recovery console that my XP CD
booted into doesn't have the capability to execute programs. So I guess
the only option I have left is to copy the correct .dll (or whatever
the file extension for driver files is) into the correct directory. This
isn't going to be easy. Can someone point me to the correct driver
files for the A7V8X-X motherboard, and where to copy them in the Windows
directory to get everything working again? Thanks.

I suppose I could stick the hard drive in my working computer, extract
all the valuable files, then wipe clean and reinstall the OS. I'd
rather not do this though ... is there any way to reinstall Windows XP
without having to re-partition/format the hard drive, i.e. pretty much
only overwriting stuff in the C:\WINDOWS directory? I assume it would
autodetect my new mobo if I were to reinstall Windows, right?

--
Usenet is a strange reality where you see people beating up a patch of
grass where nine years ago there used to be a horse. -Nuke

New mobo - comp still won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 7th 03 07:49 PM
Mobo type?? kony General 3 July 1st 03 04:15 PM
Vidio problems part deus nECrO General 1 June 29th 03 07:08 PM