Asus P-299 MotherBoard memory upgrades??

Old February 4th 04, 06:55 AM
lpender

Default Asus P-299 MotherBoard memory upgrades??

I have the Asus P-299 MotherBoard
I'm trying to upgrade to the memory from SDRAM 128.

However. if I insert a..

SDRAM 256 chip in socket 1 - the system will not boot up, and I get beeps
and distorted colors on monitor.

If I insert a ...
SDRAM 128 (or lower) chip in socket 1 and the SDRAM 256 chip in socket 2

The system will boot-up.. to WinXP (clean install).. but it becomes unstable
and crashes.

If I insert a ...
SDRAM 256 chip in socket 1 and the SDRAM 128 (or lower) chip in socket 2

The system will boot-up.. to WinXP (clean install).. But it becomes unstable
and crashes.

Then, on the next boot, I get the beeps and the distorted colors on monitor.

I removed all of the other cards from the board and tried a different video
card as well.

According to the MB's user manual, I should be able to install the 256 chip.

(From the user manual)
System Memory (DIMM)
Socket 1 (Rows 0&1) - SDRAM 8,16,32,64,128,256
Socket 2 (Rows 0&1) - SDRAM 8,16,32,64,128,256
Max Memory: 512

Is there a setting in the BIOS that I can change to correct this problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks..

Old February 4th 04, 11:26 AM
steven67@

lpender wrote:

[...]

..

This motherboard uses an Intel 440ZX chipset. 256MB DIMMs must have sixteen
16Mx8(128Mbit) chips. 256MB DIMMs with eight 32Mx8(256Mbit) chips, or sixteen
32Mx4 chips, are not supported.

Old February 4th 04, 02:29 PM
lpender

I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused.. please bear with me..

The 256 DIMMS that I am trying to use have " 8 chips on each side" a total
of 16 chips.

When you say "256MB DIMMs must have sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips"

Are you saying I need a single 256 DIMM with "16 chips" on each side with a
total of 32 chips or, I cannot us a
256 DIMM at all, only 2 128 DIMMs?

Thanks

"steven67@" wrote in message
.. .

.

Old February 4th 04, 09:19 PM
steven67@

lpender wrote:

I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused.. please bear with me..

The 256 DIMMS that I am trying to use have " 8 chips on each side" a total
of 16 chips.

When you say "256MB DIMMs must have sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips"

Are you saying I need a single 256 DIMM with "16 chips" on each side with a
total of 32 chips or, I cannot us a
256 DIMM at all, only 2 128 DIMMs?

Thanks

..

You need a 256MB DIMM that has sixteen chips, with each of the chips being
16Mx8(128Mbit). These DIMMs will usually have eight chips on each side.

Which 256MB DIMM(s) are you trying; what are the part numbers on the individual
chips? If these were cheap DIMMs, they may use sixteen 32Mx4 chips. These
also, will usually have eight chips on each side. But, these DIMMs are not
supported by your board.

Memory for an Amptron motherboard Wooding General 5 January 10th 04 01:13 PM
RAM-PC100 vs PC133 stromer General 5 December 10th 03 01:59 AM
Buying Kingston RAM chips... Wald General 7 December 6th 03 05:56 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM
Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard - memory problems Wuahn General 1 July 26th 03 01:29 PM