A7M266 - adding XP2000

Old August 1st 03, 10:46 PM
Hawkeye

Default A7M266 - adding XP2000

I suspect the 2000 cpu is a Thoroughbred core. The A7M266 works
stock with palomino core cpu's only without having to do a bunch of
mods.

ASUS P4T533 mobo
Intel P4 2.8 GHz 533MHz
ASUS V8460 Ultra GeForce 4 Ti 4600
1024 Samsung 32-Bit RIMM 4200 1066MHz RAMBUS
RD1-8X Bios Savior
Enermax EG465P-VE FMA 430W PSU
Creative Labs Audigy 2
Sony DRU-500AX DVD+-RW
TDK VeloCD 48X16X48X CD-RW
TOSHIBA SD-M1612 DVD
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM
WD 60GB 5400RPM
WD 40GB 5400RPM
Promise ULTRA 133 TX2 Controller
Dlink DFE530TX+ PCI nic
Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
Linksys BEFSR41 router
Windows XP Home SP1
Direct X 9.0
Old August 1st 03, 11:17 PM
Alan

Thanks for your interest.
I am not sure which core. Does the serial number identify this?

Alan

"Hawkeye" wrote in message
Looks like the A7N8X will use both Palomino model 6 and Thoroughbred
model 8 cpu's That would explain why it works in the A7N8X and not
A7M266

Old August 2nd 03, 01:27 AM
Alan

Hawkeye:
Just researched out the definitions and it would appear that I have a
Palomino rather than a TBred.
Here is the site I found this at. http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

Thanks again for your help,

Alan

Old August 2nd 03, 04:02 AM
Tip

"Alan" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
Hawkeye:
Just researched out the definitions and it would appear that I have a
Palomino rather than a TBred.
Here is the site I found this at. http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

You may want to also check out this A7M266 forum. It has helped me plenty
and is a great source for information on this board. I particularly like the
"Bios Bible" (Think that is how it is listed) for optimal bios settings.

http://www.2wolfs.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl

--
Tip
www.gotips.net

Old August 2nd 03, 04:48 AM
Alan

Thanks 'Tip':
I also use this site and have been there many times today to find a
solution. Excellent forum with great depth on the A7M266. I went over the
BIOS and board as carefully as I could, and I am still stumped.
For now I dropped the Xp1200 back in to run the machine (home theatre).

Thanks,

Alan

"Tip" wrote in message
k.net...

Old August 3rd 03, 06:53 AM
Jim Ryan

did they make an XP 1200? If that is an Athlon 1200 to run the XP the
slew rate had to be set to 3 in the bios (the athlons ran with a slew
rate of 1).

Old August 3rd 03, 02:26 PM
Alan

I am not sure if the XP or simply Athlon applies but the processor that does
work is a 1200 x 266 fsb. The one that doesn't is 2000 x 266 fsb, I looked
up the part number on the chip, and it (2000) is a Palomino processor.

I have adjusted the Slew rate between installing each processor, 3 for the
1200 and 1 for the XP2000. It simply won't Post.

Thanks,

Alan

Old August 3rd 03, 03:58 PM
Jim Ryan

on my a7m I upgraded from a athlon 1400 to an XP1700+ some time ago.
The slew rate has to be 3 with the XP, the XP wouldn't post at 1 (I
have an XP2400+ in the board now & that required some wires in the
socket, but the slew rate is still set at 3)

Old August 3rd 03, 04:57 PM
Milleron

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:26:32 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:

I am not sure if the XP or simply Athlon applies but the processor that does
work is a 1200 x 266 fsb. The one that doesn't is 2000 x 266 fsb, I looked
up the part number on the chip, and it (2000) is a Palomino processor.

I have adjusted the Slew rate between installing each processor, 3 for the
1200 and 1 for the XP2000. It simply won't Post.

Thanks,

Alan

From what I've read of your posts, this situation makes sense only if
that XP 2000+ is a Thoroughbred, so my question would be "are you
positive that it's a Palomino?" When you install it in the other
motherboard, how is it identified -- model 6 or model 8? PC Wizard
2003, available free at www.cpuid.com, will explicitly distinguish
Palomino- from Thoroughbred-core Athlon XPs, so if there's even the
slightest chance that it could actually be a T'bred, it's worth
checking it with that program. If it is a T'bred, you have an answer.

Ron

Slow Boot After Adding Modem Card to AI7 Mike Fisher Abit Motherboards 3 January 30th 05 03:56 PM
adding USB ports, PCI vs Hub Ken Verdrom Homebuilt PC's 7 June 16th 04 01:56 AM
Adding another hard drive question Hal Homebuilt PC's 3 December 20th 03 05:00 PM
Adding USB 2.0 Curt General 1 December 1st 03 02:47 PM
Advice please on adding more data, use of sessions, vol labels etc Steve Cdr 1 July 10th 03 03:47 AM