What is a RAID controller?

Old July 8th 03, 11:08 PM
Rich

Default What is a RAID controller?

Having tried to install some software which put my XP home system into a
continuous reboot, I managed to uninstall it in safe mode but my
system/device manager window is now showing a problem with SCSI and RAID
controllers. Any advice on how this may have happened and suggestions on
how to fix it would be gratefully received. The boot up sequence has also
gone from about 20 seconds to a couple of minutes (mainly while it says,
"scanning for IDE drives.................." then "No array is defined")

TIA

Rich

Old July 10th 03, 03:42 AM
Doug Holtz

"Rich" wrote in message

"Doug Holtz" wrote in message
Rich;

Do you have SCSI or IDE drives? I suspect IDE and that you have a
controller like Promise or SIIG that identifies itself as SCSI to

Windows
XP. That being said, these controllers can enable a RAID set. I

haven't
played with IDE drives, but I suspect you can Mirror or just stripe data

both drives on an IDE RAID system (RAID 1 or 0 respectively). If you

have
2
drives and you want some protection for your data, use RAID 1 mirroring

on
the system, and the system will write data to both drives - if one

fails,
the other has the entire contents on it, so your data isn't lost.

Doug

"Rich" wrote in message
Having tried to install some software which put my XP home system into

continuous reboot, I managed to uninstall it in safe mode but my
system/device manager window is now showing a problem with SCSI and

RAID
controllers. Any advice on how this may have happened and suggestions

on
how to fix it would be gratefully received. The boot up sequence has

also
gone from about 20 seconds to a couple of minutes (mainly while it

says,
"scanning for IDE drives.................." then "No array is

defined")

TIA

Rich

as far as I am aware I only have one hard drive, which is what is

puzzling
me slightly about this and why I asked for some advice. I have done
searches and discovered that RAID is something to do with setting up HDD's
to work together in a particular way, but, like I said - I only have one
HDD, which seems to be confirmed when I use Belarc and Aida32.

(the other obvious solution of ringing Tech Support for my computers
manufacturer is unfortunately not possible, as they went bust a couple of
months after I bought it!)

Rich

Rich;

If you only have 1 hard drive, then you have an IDE controller in there and
the operating system sees it as a SCSI device.

You CANNOT have RAID with one hard drive.

Doug

Old July 10th 03, 08:48 PM
Rich

Snip

looking at the info on the HDD, it is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 160GB,
which apparently has 2 disks. Would this be the reason for it trying to use
a RAID controller?

thanks

Rich

Old July 16th 03, 03:47 AM
Doug Holtz

Have Fun.

Doug

"Rich" wrote in message

"Doug Holtz" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message

Snip

I hope this is clear. If you are using a machine set up by a company,

and
the controller is a Promise RAID controller, and you have an owner's

manual
for the controller, you can probably add a second 160 GB Maxtor drive

and
have a RAID set. But, you don't need it IMHO.

Clear as mud I hope

Doug

Doug,

thanks very much for your help and advice. Based on this I checked

various
settings/options and, I don't really know how or why, but it seems that

when
I had the original problem with the software a BIOS setting was altered to
tell the system to look for a RAID controller during boot up. I disabled
this and I am now back to where I was before the problem :-)

Once again, I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

Thanks

Rich

Get message "Remove disks or other media" since converting from NTFS to FAT32 Paul Hill General 1 July 6th 03 02:03 PM
SM Bus Controller MiniDisc_2k2 General 0 July 5th 03 12:46 AM
Vidio problems part deus nECrO General 1 June 29th 03 07:08 PM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM