Sound in linux? ASUS P5AD2, Fedora Core III

Old January 20th 05, 08:51 PM
Benjamin Johnson

Default Sound in linux? ASUS P5AD2, Fedora Core III

I have an ASUS P5AD2 premium motherboard with C-Media CMI 9880 sound built
into the motherboard. In the bios there are two options: AC'97 and HD
Audio

I'm running Fedora Core III, kernel 2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp.

Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully get their sound
working from this motherboard? I suspect that I need some "drivers", but
a visit to the C-Media website doesn't identify any drivers for the 9880
series...

Suggestions? By the way, I would not recommend this motherboard if you
plan to use linux, its software is clearly made for Windows environments.

Thanks,

-Ben
Old January 20th 05, 10:09 PM

Benjamin Johnson wrote:
[...]

That's interesting, I'm running Fedora core 2 on a box and the sound
works fine with no configuration at all. I think (but I may be wrong)
that PC'97 is some sort of standard, and I would expect it to work
under Linux with no problems. My machine isn't particularly common
either, it's a Soltek board with sound, graphics, and a C3 CPU onboard.
Interestingly it's '6-Channel AC'97 Audio'!

When I got Fedora 2, Fedora 3 was only a Beta, yours isn't a Beta is
it? If it's a Beta then I don't know whether that could be partly the
problem?

Old January 21st 05, 04:47 AM
Matt

Benjamin Johnson wrote:

Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.

That happens sometimes. I don't know how hard it is for you to set it
up right. One option is to buy a cheap standard sound card and disable
the onboard sound. I find that such a card with a CM8738 chipset sets
up without problems. See also:

comp.os.linux.hardware
comp.os.linux.setup
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.redhat
linux.redhat
linux.redhat.misc

groups.google.com
Old January 21st 05, 02:45 PM
Benjamin Johnson

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 wrote:

Benjamin Johnson wrote:
[...]

No, it's release version ... oddly enough I have a different motherboard
at home ECS P915-A, and the so called "AC'97" sound doesn't work natively
on that either in Fedora Core 2. It makes me think there's something
wrong with the way I install things.... or that I'm missing a simple
driver installation. (the options in the bios are enabled, and the sound
works fine in windows).

"alsa" doesn't see the card, I've tried to use modprobe (naively, and
unsucessfully) to look for the card..

So I guess I'm just looking for a pseudo checklist from someone who knows
about these things, or has experienced similar problems.

-Ben
Old January 23rd 05, 10:58 AM
Matt

Matt wrote:
Benjamin Johnson wrote:

Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.

That happens sometimes. I don't know how hard it is for you to set it
up right. One option is to buy a cheap standard sound card and disable
the onboard sound. I find that such a card with a CM8738 chipset sets
up without problems. See also:

comp.os.linux.hardware
comp.os.linux.setup
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.redhat
linux.redhat
linux.redhat.misc

groups.google.com

OfficeMax has a sound card free after rebate this week.

See www.techbargains.com
Old February 7th 05, 09:23 PM
Bill Davidsen

Matt wrote:
Matt wrote:

Benjamin Johnson wrote:

Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.

That happens sometimes. I don't know how hard it is for you to set it
up right. One option is to buy a cheap standard sound card and
disable the onboard sound. I find that such a card with a CM8738
chipset sets up without problems. See also:

comp.os.linux.hardware
comp.os.linux.setup
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.redhat
linux.redhat
linux.redhat.misc

groups.google.com

OfficeMax has a sound card free after rebate this week.

See www.techbargains.com

In my case I think it's a setup issue, FC1 and FC2 had sound on my
laptop, so FC3 *may* have a problem.

--
bill davidsen )
Project Leader, USENET news

ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard Andre General 2 October 13th 04 01:46 AM
amd or intel? Codemutant AMD x86-64 Processors 25 July 19th 04 09:44 PM
Sound problem Sonars_UK General 4 June 23rd 04 01:19 AM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
Problem with built-in sound when upgrading Jon Greene General 4 July 10th 03 10:41 PM