Problem booting up after adding new hardware

Old October 17th 03, 09:02 PM
Slaphead

Default Problem booting up after adding new hardware

I have been running my Windows 98SE system for quite a few years with no
problems. I have installed the software for my new 54 Mbps wireless PCI
Adapter network cardand installed the hardware. My PC won't boot up. It
doesn't even get to booting the operating system or sending any signal to my
monitor. If I remove the card and switch on the moitor springs into life and
the system boots into windows. Every time I switch on with the card
installed no signal goes to the monitor and the hard disk stops whirring
after a few sconds and does not boot into windows. Any idea what the problem
could be?

Old October 17th 03, 10:13 PM
Mike Mastro

I might try it in more than 1 PCI slot. If it doesn't work in two or more
slots, then it's probably bad.

Old October 17th 03, 10:32 PM
Shep©

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:02:01 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Slaphead"
wrote :

I have been running my Windows 98SE system for quite a few years with no
problems. I have installed the software for my new 54 Mbps wireless PCI
Adapter network cardand installed the hardware. My PC won't boot up. It
doesn't even get to booting the operating system or sending any signal to my
monitor. If I remove the card and switch on the moitor springs into life and
the system boots into windows. Every time I switch on with the card
installed no signal goes to the monitor and the hard disk stops whirring
after a few sconds and does not boot into windows. Any idea what the problem
could be?

What make of card and mother board and where did you get the card?
Full system spec and PCI slots used?
IRQ list?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 17th 03, 10:49 PM
kony

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:02:01 +0100, "Slaphead"
wrote:

I have been running my Windows 98SE system for quite a few years with no
problems. I have installed the software for my new 54 Mbps wireless PCI
Adapter network cardand installed the hardware. My PC won't boot up. It
doesn't even get to booting the operating system or sending any signal to my
monitor. If I remove the card and switch on the moitor springs into life and
the system boots into windows. Every time I switch on with the card
installed no signal goes to the monitor and the hard disk stops whirring
after a few sconds and does not boot into windows. Any idea what the problem
could be?

Probably either a defective card or an incompatibility with your
specific motherboard. You might try updating the motherboard's BIOS
but a different make of card is the most likely solution, not an
exchange for another card of same make/model. If your system is
fairly old, one that started out with Win98SE, you probably won't get
full throughput with a 54Mbit adapter though, their througput seems to
increase, needing around 1GHz or faster CPU for good performance.

Dave

Booting Problem *Paul* General 2 September 16th 03 09:16 PM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
Hardware problem Russ Gilbert General 4 July 7th 03 02:15 AM
Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM
thinkpad booting problem Chris Enns General 0 June 26th 03 11:30 PM