New Asus P4P800 Deluxe - No video at all?

Old October 5th 03, 04:28 AM
Joe Greenman

Default New Asus P4P800 Deluxe - No video at all?

Just got a new Asus P4P800 Deluxe & I can't get any video on my
monitor. System fans all whirr, hard drives have power, but I get
nothing else... no video image, no POST. Nothing on the screen.

Sys specs are below. I've tried different video cards (including an
old PCI one), taking out all the ram, disconnecting all the IDE
cables, etc. Nothing. Monitor is tested as working on another PC (as
are the video cards, ram, hd & pwr supply).

Is this motherboard dead? It's brand new!

Any help appreciated.

Best,
J Greenman
Detroit

Sys specs
---------
Asus P4P800 Dlx
P4 2.4
2 512MB Crucial 2700 DDR (2.5 cas)
Radeon 9100 64mb AGP (1.5v)
Antec 300w ATX Pwr suply
Maxtor 80gb hard drive
Lite-On DVD
Lite-On 52x CD burner
Old October 5th 03, 05:38 AM
Ghostrider

Joe Greenman wrote:

[...]

Just asking what might be obvious --- ATX-P4 power supply with auxiliary
4-pin 12 V power connector also plugged into its motherboard socket?

Old October 5th 03, 09:59 AM
Joe Greenman

Ghostrider wrote in message ...

Just asking what might be obvious --- ATX-P4 power supply with auxiliary
4-pin 12 V power connector also plugged into its motherboard socket?

Yep.

On a related note... Just tried booting with different memory. No go.
Then I tried booting with the CPU removed (just to see if it would go
to the BIOS & at least show something on the darn screen). Still no
go.
Old October 5th 03, 10:00 AM
Joe Greenman

Whoops... I should correct myself - I have the Asus P4C800 Deluxe, NOT
the P4P800 Deluxe (if there is such an animal).

Best,
J Greenman
Old October 5th 03, 01:41 PM
Russ

Yes there is such an animal cause I am running on a P4P800 Deluxe as we
speak.

Windows XP SP1
1024MB DDR 2700 *2x512MB*
P4 2.4C OC'd 2.88GHz
ATI AIW 8500DV 64MB
WD 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache

Stable, running good.

Russ

om...

Old October 5th 03, 07:13 PM
Joe Greenman

(bump)

btw, it's a P4C800 Deluxe - not a P4P800 - that I'm having the trouble with.

Best,
J Greenman

Old October 6th 03, 02:26 AM
Joe Greenman

"Nobody_of_Consequence" wrote in message ...
Try clearing the bios.

How? (Can I do this without actually seeing anything
on the screen? Taking out the battery perhaps?)

P.s. I just tried a brand new 430 watt power supply; still no go.
Old October 6th 03, 03:31 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

Unplug the power, yank out the battery and jumper the 2 pins that
clear bios.(refer to manual that came with mb for location of pins)

Old October 6th 03, 04:18 PM
Patrick

Hi-

Had the same experience this weekend. Apparently, there's a known issue
using the retail box version of the P4 heatsink and fan. There, located
beneath the CPU heatsink mounting bracket on the underside of the board,
there is a small glob of solder located beneath where the bracket sits that,
when pressure from the bracket is applied, shorts the motherboard. It
appears that this is a problem on large numbers of these boards.

Have a look at the thread
at:http://techsupportforum.com/showthre...&perpage=20&pa
genumber=3
(look for the post by MechaBouncer (on the middle of the page).

There's a picture of the bad solder he
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~nightops/eki/DSC00249.JPG

I'm hoping to get a heatsink that mounts in a less stressful way. Any
ideas?

-PJS