What store to go and see for myself in LA before buying a case?

Old July 11th 03, 05:20 AM
phantom

Default What store to go and see for myself in LA before buying a case?

I'm being shopping for a case online sometime but couldn't
decide on one. I want to go some store in LA to get a look
and feel before I buy one. Can you suggest some stores have
a big collections of cases?
Old July 11th 03, 01:03 PM
bobb

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:20:51 -0700, phantom wrote:

I'm being shopping for a case online sometime but couldn't
decide on one. I want to go some store in LA to get a look
and feel before I buy one. Can you suggest some stores have
a big collections of cases?

Fry's Electronics.

u made it sound like Des Moines, Iowa.

-bobb

Old July 12th 03, 12:30 AM
bobb

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:25:39 GMT, "JAD" wrote:

Louisiana? Any large computer store, but Fry's (UG!) would have the biggest
on hand display that I have seen.

I know some of you like to make fun of Fry's, but u gotta remember
Fry's was born from Silicon Valley, a place where your run of the mill
customer has a Master in Electronics/Material Science/Physic
engineering. So salespeople's knowledge of the products was
unnecessary and unwanted, all we want to know is what shelf the
stuffs we want is, and if I can pick up a six-pack coke and a razor at
the same time, that's groovy. Don't go to Fry's expecting in-depth
explanation and forgive the temporary cashiers (they don't last long),
and yer fine. They got the best return policy of any electronics
retailer I know, and that's mighty important when there is no way to
find out about a product (really) until you bring one home.

-bobb

Old July 12th 03, 03:13 AM
do_not_spam_me

phantom wrote in message . ..

I'm being shopping for a case online sometime but couldn't
decide on one.

Keep in mind that the most important dimension for an ATX case isn't
the height or width but the depth because depth determines whether the
motherboard and disk drives will have enough clearance for one
another, and it has to be at least 18", excluding the front bezel
(bezel adds as much as another 1.5"), for the largest motherboards to
not overlap with any CD drives. Many cases are only 16" deep.

Sometimes it costs less to buy a cheap case that includes a power
supply and buy a separate high-quality power supply than to buy a high
quality case that c omes with a good power supply. Don't ever risk
your equipment to a bad power supply; stay with quality, such as Antec
or Fortron/Sparkle.
Old July 12th 03, 03:26 AM
do_not_spam_me

phantom wrote in message . ..

I'm being shopping for a case online sometime but couldn't
decide on one.

Fry's has everything from the worst to the best, but the most
important factors are the quality of the power supply and the depth.

Many cheap cases come with the worst power supplies, including brands
such as ICTronics, Transworld, King Case (King Star), Raidmax, Allied
(one of the many Deer brands, some others being Codegen, L&C, Mercury,
Foxconn). These can't be trusted to deliver 100% of their rated
power, last long, or not interfere with TV/radio reception. But a high
quality case that includes a good power supply often costs more than a
cheap case with a bad power supply and a high quality supply bought
separately. Some good power supply brands are Antec and
Fortron/Sparkle, and www.directron.com and www.newegg.com have the
latter at good prices.

The height and width of a computer case aren't as important as the
depth because depth determines whether the motherboard and disk drives
will clear each other, and the largest motherboards need a case with
at least 18" of depth (excluding front bezel, which adds up to 1.5"
more) to avoid overlap with the CD-ROM drive. Most cases are only 16"
deep.
Old July 12th 03, 06:56 AM
JAD

without stating how many of those brands of cases I've used that are still
running after 3years,I can tell you about as many antec/cases entermax psu's
I have had go out. Its pretty much a damn crap shoot, Quoting brands and
marking them untrustable based on your opinion will only get you a hundred
replies stating the opposite..I agree quality is important but hardly means
definte longevity or trustability. The rest comes down to the basics, How
much room you have Where the Case will reside. Then there is cooling.

"do_not_spam_me" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old July 12th 03, 07:08 AM
JAD

Fry's was born from Silicon Valley,

Isn't everyone Out of work in silicon valley?

So salespeople's knowledge of the products was
unnecessary and unwanted,

Things haven't changed

and if I can pick up a six-pack coke and a razor at
the same time, that's groovy

That's true...Never had to return a coke I have gotten from there before

They got the best return policy of any electronics
retailer I know, and that's mighty important when there is no way to
find out about a product (really) until you bring one home.

They need to have, mainly because 4 out of ten purchases have to be
returned. Which in "returns" you'll find the guy who should be out on the
floor, cause they are the only ones who know anything. I web shop around, I
go to Frys, , Look at specific products I have researched, if they have the
price I'll Buy it. I don't buy ANYTHING with a FRYS repackage sticker on it,
That's a deadly move, Cause EVERYTHING goes back on the self at least 2
times before it hits the BIN. This is because some people believe they don't
really know a product until they plug it in, usually BEFORE they read the
instructions.

"bobb" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:25:39 GMT, "JAD" wrote:

Louisiana? Any large computer store, but Fry's (UG!) would have the

biggest
on hand display that I have seen.

I know some of you like to make fun of Fry's, but u gotta remember
a place where your run of the mill
customer has a Master in Electronics/Material Science/Physic
engineering. all we want to know is what shelf the
stuffs we want is, . Don't go to Fry's expecting in-depth

Old July 12th 03, 07:24 AM
Strontium

I have to agree, totally, with this reply.

-
JAD stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

without stating how many of those brands of cases I've used that are
still running after 3years,I can tell you about as many antec/cases
entermax psu's I have had go out. Its pretty much a damn crap shoot,
Quoting brands and marking them untrustable based on your opinion
will only get you a hundred replies stating the opposite..I agree
quality is important but hardly means definte longevity or
trustability. The rest comes down to the basics, How much room you
have Where the Case will reside. Then there is cooling.

"do_not_spam_me" wrote in message
om...
phantom wrote in message
. ..

[...]

drives will clear each other, and the largest motherboards need a

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Old July 12th 03, 09:35 PM
jaster

"bobb" wrote in message
[...]

You work for Fry's? Yep, the best return policy I've ever encountered. I
really don't like returning merchandise and I only return merchandise that
doesn't work.

Here's an employee tip for you. For all merchandise placed on the floor
Fry's should also place the merchandise manual. That might help with
the questions and returned merchandise. I've noticed this is usually done
for m/bs, a/cs on display but Fry's should do this with all appliances, home
theater receivers, audio receivers, tv, radios, refrigerators, pc systems,
speakers, washer/dryers, etc.

I'm returning a Sony home theater because it doesn't support a phono which I
would have noticed had a manual been available and features (like OSD,
universal remote control ) that don't work as implied, but the sound is
perfect.

Old July 13th 03, 12:16 AM
bobb

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:35:34 GMT, "jaster" wrote:

You work for Fry's?

Heavens, NO. They hire no cute girls for me to get interested.

I really don't like returning merchandise and I only return merchandise that
doesn't work.

Well, it's certainly no fun standing in that long returns line
specially weekends, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Hey, Fry's
management are no dummies and I don't presume so.

Here's an employee tip for you. For all merchandise placed on the floor
Fry's should also place the merchandise manual. That might help with
the questions and returned merchandise. I've noticed this is usually done
for m/bs, a/cs on display but Fry's should do this with all appliances, home
theater receivers, audio receivers, tv, radios, refrigerators, pc systems,
speakers, washer/dryers, etc.

I'm returning a Sony home theater because it doesn't support a phono which I
would have noticed had a manual been available and features (like OSD,
universal remote control ) that don't work as implied, but the sound is
perfect.

Not a bad idea, but a simple look at the back panel for the phono jack
is easy enough. These day, I'd imagine if you insist on built-in phono
input, you are cornering yourself to a few models.

-bobb