Computer Problems

Old June 27th 03, 11:17 PM
JosephNicol

Default Computer Problems

Hey
I installed msn messager on my computer and now everytime I run msn messager
it freezes up on me!!! I tried updating the software to MSN MESSAGER 6 and
im still having same problem..If anyone can help me
please reply back???

Thanks
Joseph Nicol

Old June 29th 03, 03:48 AM
MiniDisc_2k2

I have/had the latest version of MSN Messenger (I'm uninstalling it right
now) and I noticed that after I installed it my computer randomly froze for
a few seconds. I thought it was another program I installed, but after I
read your post I decided to uninstall it. I would recommend you doing the
same thing. Windows messenger provides enough features. start-control
panel-add/remove programs.

-- MiniDisc_2k2
To reply, replace nospam.com with cox dot net.

Old June 29th 03, 08:35 PM
rcm711

Same here, my kid installed MSN Messenger 5 and over the next few days, I
crashed jammed froze a few times. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I scanned
for viruses, etc. Semms to be running better but I think it is buggy.

I have a P3 733 256m Win98SE IE6.1 SP1

Old October 5th 04, 10:17 AM
brushes

"Eppz" wrote in message
Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
up.

When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can

fix this?

I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but

hey
it works and it gets me on the net.

what is 'enger'???

the fact that you can, by using whatever 'enger' is, proceed to the boot
would suggest something in the bios maybe?

Perhaps try running auto-detect in the bios

Old October 5th 04, 04:36 PM
WebWalker

In dos prompt, type "scandisk".

--
WebWalker
Old October 5th 04, 05:24 PM
terry smith

"brushes" wrote in message

"Eppz" wrote in message
Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got

messed
up.

When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How

can
fix this?

I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but

hey
it works and it gets me on the net.

what is 'enger'???

the fact that you can, by using whatever 'enger' is, proceed to the boot
would suggest something in the bios maybe?

Look above the 'g' on the keyboard and ghat should give you a clue.

Perhaps try running auto-detect in the bios

Old October 5th 04, 05:58 PM
Tim Jowers

"Eppz" wrote in message .. .
Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
up.

When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can I
fix this?

I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but hey
it works and it gets me on the net.

There is probably an error during boot. It is perhaps supposed to
print a message out to the screen. So, probably waiting for you to hit
enter in order to allow you to read the message.

Or, maybe a bug? Maybe the F5 or whatever special key Win98 uses to
show the boot process is stuck. Turn the keyboad over and shake. Bang
the esc, F* keys a few times to loosen up wahtever may have got stuck
in there. Or spend the $12 on a new keyboard.

And then there's always the Old Microsoft Windows remedy... reinstall.
:-0
Or, better yet, get someone to burn you Knoppix or another bootable
Linux ditro. and have some fun with it instead. The system boots from
the CD so you do not have to worry about trashing your Win98 on your
hard drive.

Wild Guesses :-)
Tim
Old October 5th 04, 06:13 PM
colin

Eppz wrote in message
Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
up.

When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
enter to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can

fix this?

I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but

hey
it works and it gets me on the net.

Have a look at your `autoexec.bat` file for an entry like `prompt` or
similar.

edit autoexec.bat at the C:\ you mentioned, then delete or REM the
offending entry.

or startrunsysedit within windows.

or paste the contents of both autoexec.bat & config.sys back here, if
unsure.

Old October 5th 04, 10:38 PM
kony

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:12:37 -0400, "Eppz"
wrote:

Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
up.

When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can I
fix this?

We need to know _exactly_ what the environment is when you
have to push enter... how far it'd booted, what's on the
screen, etc.

I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but hey
it works and it gets me on the net.

Nothing wrong with that, it's kind of silly really when
someone buys a P4 with 1GB memory, etc, etc, then only
surfs and emails.