Having driver problems getting my new Epson 3170 Photo image scanner to install

Old September 1st 03, 05:32 AM
Idris Alooma

Default Having driver problems getting my new Epson 3170 Photo image scanner to install

I paid $213.00 for my first scanner yesterday at Staples. It wasn't an
EPSON 3170 Photo scanner yesterday because it has very high
resolution and does all the things that I need.

However when I installed it the installation went ok, but when I clicked
on it to run it, it keeps asking for

The file "usbscan.sys" on Windows Professional CDROM is needed"

Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't support EPSON Scanners so that file is
not on the CDROM.

There is a file by that name on the EPSON install CDROM.

When I try and use it I get this message.

The software you are installing for this hardware

EPSON Perfection 3170

has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with
Windows XP.

Continuing your installation with this software may impair, or
destabilize the correct operation of your system. Either immediately,
or in the near future.

Microsoft recommends that you stop the installation now!

I went ahead and told it to continue and my system locked up and failed
to boot for the next two hours. Finally I figured out how to get it back
up and working. Then I un-installed the software and reinstalled it with
every other program shutdown. I still get the same message.

I went to www.EPSON.com and didn't find any answers there. No one will
be working there until Tuesday because of the holiday. I had really
hoped to get it working this evening.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to overcome what appears to be a
fatal error in this EPSON product?

Can I use other software beside the EPSON brand that shipped with the
scanner? Can I get around that driver problem by using different
software? Or is that something that strictly has to do with the scanner
itself and using other software won't fix it?

Thanx in Advance

Idris!

Old September 1st 03, 10:26 AM
Pam

Did you try downloading the newest driver at Epson's site? (You may have to
cut and paste this link as my OE has it on 2 lines.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...eBVCookie=yes&
oid=25021&infoType=Downloads

According to the site it supports WinXP. Probably Tech Support will tell
you to download this anyway and try it before doing anything else.

--
Pam

obal.net...

Old September 1st 03, 02:13 PM
Idris Alooma

In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks Pam,

Yes I believe I downloaded and installed the one below. It was the only
thing there to download. I'm not sure if it pertained to my problem or
not.

In any case, the scanner still gives the same message. Was there a
special place I had to put those files? Or does it know to seek out the
EPSON subdirectory and install the information there automatically?

This is really frustrating. EPSON is closed to day also. so it will be
three days the scanner sits here looking great, but not doing anything
other than powering up OK. :-))

It seems like this is a fairly recent printer so I just don't understand
the problem.

Should I switch to PaperPort 8.0 software? Would that make a difference?

IA
Old September 2nd 03, 11:11 AM
Pam

If you executed the file and it installed, it should install itself in the
proper directory. Did you uninstall the version you got with the scanner
before using the updated driver? If not, go back and uninstall everything
and then try reinstalling the new one. I'm not familiar with how Epson says
to set up that particular scanner so can't be to specific about the how
to's. You're right, it is a newer model and therefore should work with XP.
I'm also not familiar with the Paperport so don't want to say anything
there. Sorry.

It's a shame but you may have to wait till their tech support is working.

Old September 3rd 03, 03:37 AM
CSM1

Try the Start here card for instructions on setting up the scanner.
http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pr317p/pr317pbb.pdf
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old September 26th 03, 06:55 PM
John Legg

i would just take it back and say it doesnt work, and if you have the
receipt they might give u a new one.
[...]

---