Building PC, to floppy or not to floppy?

Old July 23rd 03, 04:00 PM
Denny Salatino

"Scott" wrote in message . net...
I'm considering not putting a floppy drive in my new computer. I have a LAN
and the other computers have floppies. Anyone see a reason why I should
include one? Thanks.
-- Scott

****
Scott, I aways keep both A and B floppies in my computers even if not
used a lot. the cost is near nothing.
I sometimes copy from one to the other for small files
or read files between them for comparing data on 2 disk's.
there are other reasons for keeping them on line and handy.
you may just wish you had put one in one day when you have a need for it.
Denny.
Old July 23rd 03, 08:24 PM
Tony Hwang

Hi,
FDD costs only 10.00, maybe. Even for using once, I'd rather have it.
Most PC case has a room for it and mobo has controller built-in, so
why not?
Tony

Ben Pope wrote:

Dodgy wrote:

Final thought - You know there's never a CDR about when you want one,
but you can always find a floppy... Usually in the box the CDROM came
in...

I tend to have the opposite problem... loads of blank CDs, but no floppies,
mind you I tend to snap the forever corrupted floppies in half, so as not to
waste my time attempting to use them again. It seems as though I went
through my whole collection of floppies as they were all fscked up.

Ben

Old July 23rd 03, 10:43 PM
Ben Pope

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
FDD costs only 10.00, maybe. Even for using once, I'd rather have it.
Most PC case has a room for it and mobo has controller built-in, so
why not?
Tony

No real reason, when I build my new machine, I'll put one in. I just hate
the damned things.

Ben

Old July 24th 03, 01:27 PM
Ed Medlin

No real reason, when I build my new machine, I'll put one in. I just hate
the damned things.

Ben

I hate them too Ben. My new laptop is floppyless, but I have one on the
desktop so if push comes to shove I can just connect to the network and go.
I wouldn't build a system without it, although the bootable MS readers are
getting to be very appealing. My laptop is a Sony Vaio (I also use Sony
digicams) and I have heard you can set it up in bios to boot from the
built-in MS reader although I haven't tried it yet. There are just to many
instances when I would rather just have the floppy rather than go through
all the other time consuming steps to create a special cd or whatever.

Ed

Old July 24th 03, 02:21 PM
MrDancer

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
FDD costs only 10.00, maybe. Even for using once, I'd rather have it.
Most PC case has a room for it and mobo has controller built-in, so
why not?
Tony

No real reason, when I build my new machine, I'll put one in. I just hate
the damned things.

I read on one of the tech groups a while back that Win2k may require a
floppy in some cases (during install, perhaps?).

Our company decided to get digital cameras for district offices a few years
ago, and they got the Sony floppy disk (ugh!!) cameras because they were
easier for the computer-illiterate old farts to use. After being forced to
use that digicam, I found out there is quite a difference in quality among
brands of 3.5" floppy disks (whodathunkit?). Cheap unbranded disks either
didn't work or worked extremely slowly in the digicam, whether or not you
formatted the disks. The more expensive disks worked much better.

Old July 24th 03, 07:31 PM
NoRemorse

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
R_Supp wrote:
It can be embarrasing to save your MYOB stuff to a USB device then
have your accountant tell you he can`t use it and in the meantime you
are paying in excess of a hundred bucks an hour for his services.
Kind of makes the floppy drive look good.

Kind of makes your 100 bucks an hour accountant look crap for not

investing
in a 50bucks 6in1 card reader.

How will that help with his accountant? If the accountant doesn't have USB,
he probably can't read flash cards either.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Old July 25th 03, 11:12 PM
Ben Pope

MrDancer wrote:
I found out there is quite a
difference in quality among brands of 3.5" floppy disks
(whodathunkit?). Cheap unbranded disks either didn't work or worked
extremely slowly in the digicam, whether or not you formatted the
disks. The more expensive disks worked much better.

I always used 3M or Verbatim and still found them to become corrupt far too
easily for my liking.

Ben