P4P800 - cannot access BIOS

Old December 8th 03, 02:45 PM
ot

Default P4P800 - cannot access BIOS

I have recently built a 2.6 Ghz machine based around the P4P800 Asus m/b and
everything works fine except for the fact that i cannot access the BIOS.

2 x 256MB GEIL 3200
120 Maxtor HDD
Radion 9600 Pro
430 W PSU

Everytime i hit DEL on restart, i am presented with a black screen - blue
bar at the top and the word WAIT in the middle ... nothing else happens.

I thought an update to the BIOS would sort this out - so i went and got the
latest BIOS version fromthe asus web site and flashed it using the afudos
method as listed on the asus website to no noticeable change or improvement
to the problem at hand.

apart from this, the machine works fine, i just want to check if HT is on
etc.

can anyone shed some light on the problem?

thanks in advance

ot

Old December 8th 03, 03:15 PM
ahh

Did you try clearing the cmos with the jumper? I had the same problem with
another mobo a while back and the only way I could get into the bios was

Old December 8th 03, 08:27 PM
ot

ok went and did as advised, followed the instructions to clear CMOS in the
manual.

now on boot it says
CMOS settings wrong;
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Press F1 to run SETUP
Press F2 ro load default values and continue

pressing F1 - results in the WAIT screen

pressing F2 no response ...

I think the situation just got worse :/

ot

Old December 9th 03, 03:38 AM
ot

heheh no problems and thanks for trying.

the problem is still no BIOS access and I have taken images of the error and
have left it with the store i bought the m/b from.

this kinda makes resolution more urgent - and i would not have liked to had
a m/b without BIOS management nehow.

so no probs once again.

ot

Old December 9th 03, 05:37 PM
John

In article ,
says...

"ot" wrote in message
I have recently built a 2.6 Ghz machine based around the P4P800 Asus

m/b

I would try and disconnect everything plugged into the machine except
the video and keyboard. Take out all boards except the video card and
unplug all drives, HD, CD-ROM and floppy. I have had a problem with the
BIOS hanging on a cold boot and it was a peripheral that was plugged in
that was causing the problem. Also, if you have two sticks of memory
try it with only one. Good luck.

- JA
Old December 9th 03, 11:36 PM
127.0.0.1

its normal after you cleared the bios you have to reset you settings so just
follow the instruction and good luck

Old December 10th 03, 09:00 AM
Axel VK

I just had strange problems with the same board. The problem was a faulty
USB hub.
As someone said, try just with the basic keyboard and mouse.

Old December 10th 03, 01:59 PM
ot

ok here's a happy ending (in spite of embarrassment to myself) .. i
unplugged everything and started to plug in each peripheral one by one and
wey hey - access to BIOS ok.

the m/b must not have liked the old IDE CD-ROM i plugged in to install xp -
switched this over with the one from my 'now-back up machine' and all is
well.

thanks for your advice everyone

cheers

ot

u...

Old August 29th 12, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Im going to try unplugging everything from the computer except the keyboard and video, but this literally just happened to me. I accidentally hit the sleep button on my keyboard, the computer restarted on me, then this happened. I have been using the same hardware for the last 4 years after I built it...