my graphic card require 650mhz I have a pIII 450mhz is that enough?

Old June 29th 03, 12:32 AM
Kanolsen

Default my graphic card require 650mhz I have a pIII 450mhz is that enough?

I have a PIII450mhz IBM PL300 with 156ram and agp2X, I have bought a
dualscreen MSI GeForce4 MX440-8X 64MB DDR AGP, MX440-T8X, Tv-Out,
so I can have 2 monitors. The min specification say that I need a
650mhz, but I do not know why that should have anything to do with it
- shouldn't it take some of the load FROM the processor?

Can I still use it or should I return it?

Thanks for all help!

Kanolsen
Old June 29th 03, 03:11 AM
NoSpam

The processor takes the graphics data from the program and sends it to the
video card. Therefore it has everything to do with the video card. If they
say that there is a minimum CPU speed then you may have less than optimum
video performance than you should have with that card. I'd take it back or
upgrade the PC if you want that specific card.

HTH

Old June 29th 03, 03:35 AM
kony

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:32:47 +0200, Kanolsen kanolsen AT mail¤REMOVE¤
dot dk wrote:

I have a PIII450mhz IBM PL300 with 156ram and agp2X, I have bought a
dualscreen MSI GeForce4 MX440-8X 64MB DDR AGP, MX440-T8X, Tv-Out,
so I can have 2 monitors. The min specification say that I need a
650mhz, but I do not know why that should have anything to do with it
- shouldn't it take some of the load FROM the processor?

Can I still use it or should I return it?

Thanks for all help!

Kanolsen

Processor speed is an arbitrary number, the card will work the same
regardless of how fast the processor is, but of course with a slower
processor, gaming would be slower.

Dave
Old June 29th 03, 01:28 PM
Kanolsen

I won't play games, I just want a dual monitor, but I hope I don't
wear out my old 450mhz with it or overload the wattage

Please also look at the above posting "Video Card" 27th this month.

Is it possible I will overload the wattage on the PC? I don't know how
much it is - is it safe to test it or should I return it? I paid about
£70 for it so I don't want to waste the money either.

Kanolsen

Old June 29th 03, 02:13 PM
kony

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:28:07 +0200, Kanolsen kanolsen AT mail¤REMOVE¤
dot dk wrote:

I won't play games, I just want a dual monitor, but I hope I don't
wear out my old 450mhz with it or overload the wattage

Please also look at the above posting "Video Card" 27th this month.

Is it possible I will overload the wattage on the PC? I don't know how
much it is - is it safe to test it or should I return it? I paid about
£70 for it so I don't want to waste the money either.

Kanolsen

It's hard to say if you'll overload it, not knowing exactly what it
is. Even a wattage number may not be extemely useful unless you can
make a positive identification of the manufacturer. I would "guess"
that your power supply is around 250W, that it will be borderline but
may work fine. The parts you mentioned in the prior post referred to
above seem to suggest that most of your load is on the 12V rail, and
with the new video card on the 3.3V or 5V (regulated down), the
current power supply may work fine. Best suggestion is to monitor the
voltages, including before adding the new video card, to see if they
drop after adding the card.

Dave