OCZ Vertex 4 SATA III or Crucial m4 for la Sabertooth x58?

Old April 21st 12, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AroundTheWorld

Default OCZ Vertex 4 SATA III or Crucial m4 for la Sabertooth x58?

Hello I'm undecided between OCZ Vertex 4 SATA III or Crucial m4 for la
Sabertooth x58. The Mtherboard has sata3 ports but they are managed by
non intel chipset. What is better?
I thank you.
Old April 23rd 12, 11:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

AroundTheWorld wrote:
Hello I'm undecided between OCZ Vertex 4 SATA III or Crucial m4 for la
Sabertooth x58. The Mtherboard has sata3 ports but they are managed by
non intel chipset. What is better?
I thank you.

There are three capacities of Vertex 4 and three capacities of M4.

The write speed, in MB/sec, is a function of the capacity selected.
If you get the 128GB one, it writes slower than the larger drives.

The OCZ might be a slightly better drive, but they haven't been
shipping for as long as the Crucial M4. And you should really see
more weeks of usage of a product, to get some idea for how
reliable they are.

The first review for the Vertex 4 on the Newegg customer review
section, is April 4, 2012. So that is not a long enough period, to know
if there are problems or not. By comparison, the customer review
section for the M4, has a couple hundred reviews available.

I expect either of them would be a good drive, and for the
all important read speed, both will work well. Fast read speed
is what makes them a good boot drive. Having a 200MB/sec write
speed is less important, unless you were say, writing videos to
them all the time. If I owned an SSD, I might write my video to
the hard drive (as a single hard drive is normally fast enough
for video editing applications). There would be less reasons to
store video on the SSD.

Reading the adverts on Newegg, it looks like the OCZ lists
"TRIM support", which frees up NAND flash blocks when you
"empty the trash bin" in Windows. And that's a good thing,
since SSDs work better, if they have more empty storage blocks
available to choose from. Using TRIM, helps keep the write
performance more consistent from day to day.

Paul
Old April 23rd 12, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AroundTheWorld

There are three capacities of Vertex 4 and three capacities of M4.

Do you tink both will run fine with Sabertooth x58? I'm afraid this
motherboard cannot manage at the highest level these two SSD above all
Vertex 4. I will plug the cable in Intel connection (black
connection). What is your tought?
I thank you.
Old April 24th 12, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

AroundTheWorld wrote:
There are three capacities of Vertex 4 and three capacities of M4.

Do you tink both will run fine with Sabertooth x58? I'm afraid this
motherboard cannot manage at the highest level these two SSD above all
Vertex 4. I will plug the cable in Intel connection (black
connection). What is your tought?
I thank you.

Sabertooth X58

ICH10R 6 SATA, 3Gbit/sec
JMB362 2 SATA, 3Gbit/sec
Marvell 88SE9128 2 SATA, 6Gbit/sec

This is how the Marvell is connected in your system. The chip uses
a single PCI Express lane. To work at full rate (or as close to full
rate as it offers), it needs to be connected to a Rev.2 lane.

PCI-E Rev.2 x1 ----- 88SE9128 ----- SATA III
----- SATA III

We need a way to verify where it is connected.

Asus do not provide architecture diagrams in the user manual, like Gigabyte,
so we are left to guess. This diagram shows the facilities available on
the Sabertooth X58. Notice that the lanes available on the ICH10R,
only run at 250MB/sec, and would be a poor place to connect the 88SE9128.

CPU

| QPI

X58 --- x16 Rev.2
| --- x16 Rev.2
| --- x4 Rev.2 (500MB/sec per lane)
|
| DMI

ICH10R --- (6) x1 Rev.1 (250MB/sec per lane)

The 88SE9128 really needs to be connected to a 500MB/sec lane
to work at full rate with a single disk. I suspect the 88SE9128 on
this Asus motherboard (ASUS P6X58D), is connected to the x4 Rev.2 section.
They get write at 371MB/sec and read at 203MB/sec on the Marvell controller.
(The 371 tells us, that a Rev.2 lane must be in usage.)

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...-Single-Vertex

OK, I checked another thread on the vip.asus.com forums, and a poster
got "R350ish/W160ish" on the 88SE9128 SATA III ports. Translated
into English, he got 350MB/sec sustained read from a 500+ MB/sec SSD,
so the Marvell is not as good as a dedicated SATA III port. The 350MB/sec
tells us, that yes, the 88SE9128 on the Sabertooth X58, is connected to
a Rev.2 lane (500MB/sec).

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

The vip.asus.com forums have some opinions on connecting the SSD. The
ICH10R should be a reliable place to make a connection. Both of your
planned SSD purchases, are not Sandforce controller based SSDs,
so should be fine. (M4 is Marvell, Vertex4 is Indilinx Everest2)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

One of the problems with the Marvell controller, is getting a good driver for it.
I see mention, that someone used "msahci" build-in Windows 7 driver
with it, as an example of another way to run it.

*******

I think, if you connect the Vertex 4 128GB to the ICH10R, you
will be getting the write performance of the SSD (as write is
slower than read). The read will not be a match on speed,
but the system will not lose any data. SATA is backwards
compatible, and a SATA III drive will work just fine on a
SATA II port on the ICH10R. If used as a boot disk, it
will still boot faster, and launch programs faster. As to whether
it will accelerate all storage, you will likely still be storing
your user data, on the other hard drives.

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB

Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 535 MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 200 MB/s --- matches SATA II roughly

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB

Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 535 MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 380 MB/s

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G 2.5" 512GB

Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 535 MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 475 MB/s

If you buy the 128GB Vertex 4, and connect it to Marvell 88SE9128,
you get 370MB/sec read and 200MB/sec write. (The Marvell apparently
cannot offer full SATA III rates.)

If you buy the 128GB Vertex 4, and connect it to ICH10R,
you get 200MB/sec read and 200MB/sec write (approximately).
And that's because the ICH10R is limited by the SATA II interface.

HTH,
Paul

Old April 26th 12, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clas Mehus

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:59:59 -0400, Paul wrote:

If you buy the 128GB Vertex 4, and connect it to Marvell 88SE9128,
you get 370MB/sec read and 200MB/sec write. (The Marvell apparently
cannot offer full SATA III rates.)

If you buy the 128GB Vertex 4, and connect it to ICH10R,
you get 200MB/sec read and 200MB/sec write (approximately).
And that's because the ICH10R is limited by the SATA II interface.

Not sure if there have been driverupgraders that fixes it, but most
for the Marvell SATA-controllers (and most other PCIe
SATA-controllers) will not support Trim.

You will get more than 200 MB/sec. on the ICH10. More like 250-260
MB/sec.

For a system drive you will not normaly "need" the high sequencial
speeds that the SSD can give - you normaly would be handeling so much
large files that it make a difference that you notice.

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."
Old April 27th 12, 01:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AroundTheWorld

In your opinion if I like to create RAID0 array with 2 drives (1Tera x
2 = 2 Tera), is it better using Intel port (black on Sabertooth x58)
or Marvel port (white)?
Old April 30th 12, 09:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clas Mehus

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:25:31 +0200, AroundTheWorld
wrote:

In your opinion if I like to create RAID0 array with 2 drives (1Tera x
2 = 2 Tera), is it better using Intel port (black on Sabertooth x58)
or Marvel port (white)?

My guess is that there should be much of a difference. Personally I
would have used the Intel-controller - have quite good experience with
it over time. And if something happens to the motherboard, you could
move the Intel RAID-setup to a another board with Intel-chipset that
support RAID. Normaly Intels have compatibility when new chipsts comes
also, so you can move the setup to another newer motherboard.

Old May 2nd 12, 07:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AroundTheWorld

My guess is that there should be much of a difference. Personally I
would have used the Intel-controller - have quite good experience with

Good news, I thank you. A last question: is it possible to connect a
Blu-Ray burning in a Marvell port (white)? I have any free Intel
port. I thank you.