New to AMD Processor and not impressed ,what could be wrong with this setup??

Old August 31st 05, 11:18 PM
LouisG

Default New to AMD Processor and not impressed ,what could be wrong with this setup??

I recently upgraded my system and decided to try out a Amd processor
instead of the Intel processor.

I will show you what is in my system below ,, but i upgraded from a
Celeron 1.7 processor and i find that this system is now much slower
since upgrading to the AMD. I use this system mainly for d/ling , movies
, music and decoding them for burning ,,nothing to do with gaming or
programming or the such. But trying to multitask slows the systme to a
crawl ,,, i used to be able to d/l , decode and even burn ,,, plus have
my email and other apps open and not have to much lag ,,now if i have a
virus scan and try to d/l or decode something plus email , it pretty well
slows to a stop.

Any suggestions???

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8VSEDX Rev 2.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1007.003 06/17/2005

Drives c,d
282.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
128.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B [CD-ROM drive]
MITSUMI CR-48XGTE [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

RADEON 9100 SERIES [Display adapter]
Default Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n H9NXA29333, October 2004)

Thanks Gord

Old September 1st 05, 12:23 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:18:11 -0500, LouisG wrote:

[...]

I bet you are running in a low power mode. I don't know Windoze very well
so I can't tell you the exact name of the control panel, but there is a
power mode control panel which will allow you to choose various settings.
Select desktop and that should put the processor in a fast mode. You might
have to go into your BIOS and turn Cool and Quiet on but chances are all
you have to do change the control panel setting. The clock on the A64 can
be changed over a wide range. On your CPU the lowest setting is probably
800MHz, the high setting is 2GHz. At 800MHz it runs very cool and the
performance is still adequate for most tasks, at 2GHz it should feel very
quick.

Old September 1st 05, 03:20 AM
Ed Light

Did you reinstall windows fresh for the new setup? If not, did you uninstall
all the old drivers before switching?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 1st 05, 07:15 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:18:11 -0500, LouisG wrote:

I recently upgraded my system and decided to try out a Amd processor
instead of the Intel processor.

I will show you what is in my system below ,, but i upgraded from a
Celeron 1.7 processor and i find that this system is now much slower
since upgrading to the AMD. I use this system mainly for d/ling , movies
, music and decoding them for burning ,,nothing to do with gaming or
programming or the such. But trying to multitask slows the systme to a
crawl ,,, i used to be able to d/l , decode and even burn ,,, plus have
my email and other apps open and not have to much lag ,,now if i have a
virus scan and try to d/l or decode something plus email , it pretty well
slows to a stop.

Any suggestions???

This looks so much like an Intel troll message, I hesitate to respond.
Will you really have use believe that you think the A64 Probably 3000+ or
3200+ which kills 3GHz P4's is slow compared to a 1700MHz Celeron, which
the cheapest old Duron 1600 Just wipes the floor with. The only thing I
can think of is that you have something grossly misconfigured. Did you
lock the CPU at the slowest CnQ setting (800MHz probably)? Did you do a
repair or new install of Windows XP? Are your drives and other IO items
set up properly? If you are indeed having these problems I'd suggest
double checking all drivers and testing the speed of your cpu, disk, etc.

Old September 1st 05, 08:35 AM
OldFartJC

This is laughable.

Old September 1st 05, 02:44 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:55:28 +0000, f/fgeorge wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:23:39 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

[...]

What you are talking about are settings in the BIOS.

The Clock Speed on the Athlon64 is set by the OS not by the BIOS. I'm not
talking about overclocking I'm talking about Cool and Quiet. In Linux you
can set it explicitly with the Usermode speed governor or let the OS do it
based on load with the Ondemand speed governor. XP doesn't give you the
same fine grain control that Linux does and it's names are more obscure
but you can do essentially the same speed. The Power control panel
you can set it to Laptop Mode (which sets it to a low speed mode) or
Desktop mode which sets it to a fast mode. The range of clocks speeds
depends on the processor, the 3800+ for example is 1GHz to 2.4GHz in .2GHz
steps. The OP has a slower A64, it's range is 800Mhz to 2GHz. The only
thing that has to be set in the BIOS is to enable Cool and Quiet.

Old September 1st 05, 11:58 PM
LouisG

Wes Newell wrote in
Man you guys must be paranoid ,,,someone new comes by asking an innocent
question and all of a sudden he's a troll.

Well i guess i am ,,, i'm trolling for answers to my question.

All i want to do is be able to use the Amd processor to its full
advantage and right now it doesn't seem to be doing so.

I've waited a long time for my Intel processor to be removed from my
system so that i could upgrade to the AMD and i just can't see any
improvements. The improvements that i've been told are there and the
improvements that i would like to be able to utilize.

If that makes me a troll , then add me to your kill files ,,,but to those
who are willing to help me out ,,thank you very much ,, i greatly
appreciate any help or answers forthcoming.

Geez ,, guys ,,chill.

Gord

newsan.2005.09.01.06.17.48.368569@TAKEOUTverizon .net:

Old September 2nd 05, 12:12 AM
Ed Light

Was it bios set to failsafe/optimized defaults, then check that cpu speed
and voltage set to
auto/default, then a fresh install of Windows, all motherboard drivers and
video driver installed?

Also, if you're going to do stuff while rendering a movie, try using the
task manager to lower the priority of the rendering app. That way you
shouldn't have any trouble unless the system has something wrong with it.
Find the app under the Applications tab, right click it, select go to
process, right-click on the process and under set priority choose a lower
priority.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 2nd 05, 12:14 AM
Ed Light

PS When I switched from an Athlon XP to an Athlon 64 Winchester, Win XP just
didn't work well anymore, although I'm sure I uninstalled the drivers before
switching. So I did a clean reinstall and it is quite lively.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:58:23 -0500, LouisG wrote:

Wes Newell wrote in
Man you guys must be paranoid ,,,someone new comes by asking an innocent
question and all of a sudden he's a troll.

Well i guess i am ,,, i'm trolling for answers to my question.

All i want to do is be able to use the Amd processor to its full
advantage and right now it doesn't seem to be doing so.

I've waited a long time for my Intel processor to be removed from my
system so that i could upgrade to the AMD and i just can't see any
improvements. The improvements that i've been told are there and the
improvements that i would like to be able to utilize.

If that makes me a troll , then add me to your kill files ,,,but to those
who are willing to help me out ,,thank you very much ,, i greatly
appreciate any help or answers forthcoming.

Geez ,, guys ,,chill.

Gord

Have you checked your processor speed?. If you aren't seeing any
improvement then you most likely are running at 800MHz.