Mobile Sempron 64-bit?

Old August 30th 05, 08:04 PM
Yousuf Khan

Default Mobile Sempron 64-bit?

Now that the desktop Semprons have gone 64-bit when do we expect the
laptop ones will be too?

Yousuf Khan

Old August 30th 05, 10:41 PM
rpl

Ed wrote:
On 30 Aug 2005 12:04:19 -0700, "Yousuf Khan" wrote:

Now that the desktop Semprons have gone 64-bit when do we expect the
laptop ones will be too?

Yousuf Khan

Sometime in 1H 06 is my guess or when Intel catches up, but how many
people that buy low-end even care/need 64-bit?

They'll care when 64-bit is standard and Windows-64 is just emulating 32
bit stuff (sound familiar?).

Pat

Ed
--
Intel Dothan vs AMD Turion
http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources/articles/42/1/1/

Old August 31st 05, 05:31 AM
Yousuf Khan

Ed wrote:
Sometime in 1H 06 is my guess or when Intel catches up, but how many
people that buy low-end even care/need 64-bit?

Are you kidding? The Sempron is going to be the ultimate cheap laptop
-- once it gets 64-bit. It's power utilization is the same as a Turion
MT (25W), and unlike Intel which turns off SpeedStep and other power
features when going from Pentium-M to Celeron, AMD doesn't turn
PowerNow off between Turion to Sempron. And once it's got the 64-bit,
it's got a sufficient level of future proofing. I keep my computers a
*long* time, and I want it to be cheap the day I buy it, so it doesn't
matter as much when it's finally time to give it up.

So what if it's got /only/ 256K of L2 cache? That was a power-user's
dream not too long ago.

Yousuf Khan

PC World offer : Packard Bell E6100 mobile AMD Sempron 2600+ laptop Kev UK Computer Vendors 2 March 23rd 05 08:44 PM
Why 2200+ & 2800+ in both model 8 & model 10 Sempron? Michael Brown General 2 September 27th 04 05:40 AM
AMD SEMPRON CPU patrick Homebuilt PC's 0 July 29th 04 12:59 PM
AMD Sempron - New processor johny Overclocking AMD Processors 6 June 12th 04 05:02 PM
FUNNY Gateway Chat about "Centrino Mobile Technology". newtothis Gateway Computers 13 February 29th 04 02:24 AM