LAN is dropping connection..help Plz

Old August 27th 05, 12:57 PM
Wad

Default LAN is dropping connection..help Plz

My problem:

My LAN connection keeps dropping. Will run for a while but then the
connection just kicks out. Sometimes it will reset by itself, other
times I must reset the modem. Left idle no disconnection until I start
to download data.

My setup:

Mainboard GA-K8NS ultra 939
CPU Venice AMD 64 3000
PS Enermax 400 watt
Vid ATI Radeon 9700
Mem 2 x 512MB PC 3200 Samsung
Optical CDR/CRW
Optical DVD writer
HD 1 x 80 GB Maxtor
2 120cm Case fans
Floppy

Solutions taken to trouble shoot problem:

1. ISP Tech support checks cable and modem - okay
2. Hook cable and modem up to second computer - okay
3. Exchanged motherboard - same problem
4. Update mainboard bios and lan drivers
4. Disable Marvel Yukon Lan (onboard) and insert 3com pci nic - same
problem but not as frequent.

- so I assume that its not a nic issue.
- could it be an IRQ conflic? No IRQs seem to be shared.
- compatabilty issue with video card
- lastly a power supply issue

Adding up all my periferals the recommended minimum power supply
rating should be 258 Watts. At present my 3.3v rail 3.34-3.45 (okay)
and my 12v rail 11.98 - 12.40 (okay).

So any ideas?

Frustrated.

Wad

Old August 30th 05, 12:22 AM
/\\/\\UF/-\\S/-\\

Is this cable or DSL? I'm thinking cable but wanted to be sure before I put
my foot in my mouth. ;p Anyway, try dumping your DNS cache or flushing as
it's called by command. Once you've done that, run the release command,
followed by the renew command & see if that helps. Also, if it is cable,
you may want to suggest that a tech come out & take a line reading
throughout. Drop a bug in his ear about thinking you may need an amplifier
inline to help solve the problem. Make sure you have decent cables & patch
cords. That's a real biggie that most people over look. The more cables &
patch cords you have, poor signals can't be far behind. When you say "keeps
dropping" did you mean just on the LAN or are we talking internet also? What
OS are you using by the way??

--

/\/\UF/-\S/-\

Old August 30th 05, 05:40 AM
Wad

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:22:36 -0400, "/\\/\\UF/-\\S/-\\"
wrote:

Is this cable or DSL? I'm thinking cable but wanted to be sure before I put
my foot in my mouth. ;p Anyway, try dumping your DNS cache or flushing as
it's called by command. Once you've done that, run the release command,
followed by the renew command & see if that helps. Also, if it is cable,
you may want to suggest that a tech come out & take a line reading
throughout. Drop a bug in his ear about thinking you may need an amplifier
inline to help solve the problem. Make sure you have decent cables & patch
cords. That's a real biggie that most people over look. The more cables &
patch cords you have, poor signals can't be far behind. When you say "keeps
dropping" did you mean just on the LAN or are we talking internet also? What
OS are you using by the way??

Its cable and its the internet connection. The signal from the cable
modem drops consistently on 2 different computers. I thought it might
be a nic problem so I exchanged my new motherboard, but no difference.
I was away last month but the wife said there were a few days when
there was no cable connection at all. Sometimes the modem will even
reset itself if left long enough, or i have to manually reset it, but
rebooting the computer does not do anything..so I have to assume its
the line.

I had the technician out last friday and he said the signal was fine,
but I have a feeling the cable between the modem and the splitter
outside the apartment is somehow bad. Ive been waiting days for the
tech to return but of course you know cable companies..never can tell
you when they will come.

Thanks for the help,

Wad
Old August 30th 05, 11:50 AM
Wad

wrote:

Is this cable or DSL? I'm thinking cable but wanted to be sure before I put
my foot in my mouth. ;p Anyway, try dumping your DNS cache or flushing as
it's called by command. Once you've done that, run the release command,
followed by the renew command & see if that helps. Also, if it is cable,
you may want to suggest that a tech come out & take a line reading
throughout. Drop a bug in his ear about thinking you may need an amplifier
inline to help solve the problem. Make sure you have decent cables & patch
cords. That's a real biggie that most people over look. The more cables &
patch cords you have, poor signals can't be far behind. When you say "keeps
dropping" did you mean just on the LAN or are we talking internet also? What
OS are you using by the way??

Thanks for the effort. It turns out to be a bad tap on the cable
outside. Everything is okay now!

Wad