Athlon X2 3800

Old August 24th 05, 05:45 PM

Default Athlon X2 3800

Hi-
I'm looking at building a new system using an Athlon 64 X2 3800. I
have read that it will work with existing socket 939 motherboards with
a BIOS update. My question is how can I perform a BIOS update if the
processor will not work with the motherboard. I don't have any other
AMD processors to use temporarily. Are there any motherboards that
ship with existing support for the X2 3800. I can find no reference to
this on AMDs page or on several motherboard pages. Thanks. -Philip

Old August 24th 05, 07:57 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:45:41 -0700, philj1972 wrote:

Hi-
I'm looking at building a new system using an Athlon 64 X2 3800. I
have read that it will work with existing socket 939 motherboards with
a BIOS update. My question is how can I perform a BIOS update if the
processor will not work with the motherboard. I don't have any other
AMD processors to use temporarily. Are there any motherboards that
ship with existing support for the X2 3800. I can find no reference to
this on AMDs page or on several motherboard pages. Thanks. -Philip

As long as the bios supports the core the X2 has in it, it will work but
only as a single core cpu until you upgrade the bios. there may be 939
boards that won't support X2's for one reason or another so make sure the
vendor states it will support X2.

Old August 24th 05, 08:12 PM

Thank you so much Wes. That was the answer I was hoping to hear.

Old August 24th 05, 11:00 PM
Ed Light

It *should* boot if it can do Winchesters or later. Then you can update the
bios.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old August 24th 05, 11:29 PM
Lynn McGuire

I'm looking at building a new system using an Athlon 64 X2 3800. I
have read that it will work with existing socket 939 motherboards with
a BIOS update. My question is how can I perform a BIOS update if the
processor will not work with the motherboard. I don't have any other
AMD processors to use temporarily. Are there any motherboards that
ship with existing support for the X2 3800. I can find no reference to
this on AMDs page or on several motherboard pages. Thanks. -Philip

As long as the bios supports the core the X2 has in it, it will work but
only as a single core cpu until you upgrade the bios. there may be 939
boards that won't support X2's for one reason or another so make sure the
vendor states it will support X2.

Nope, this is not true for the ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard with the
1012 BIOS. I had to buy a single core AMD cpu in order to update
the BIOS to 1013 to recognize my X2 4800+.

Lynn

Old August 25th 05, 01:01 AM
LBJGH

My X2 4200+ worked fine as a single core cpu on my Epox 9nda3+ motherboard
but was recognized as an "unknown hammer family" cpu. I purchased a DFI
NF3-Ultra D motherboard and the dual core work right out of the box with the
original (shipping) bios. Most boards will work the core as a single core
cpu if the latest bios works with Venice core chips.

oups.com...

Old August 25th 05, 05:31 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:29:55 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:

As long as the bios supports the core the X2 has in it, it will work but
only as a single core cpu until you upgrade the bios. there may be 939
boards that won't support X2's for one reason or another so make sure the
vendor states it will support X2.

Nope, this is not true for the ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard with the
1012 BIOS. I had to buy a single core AMD cpu in order to update
the BIOS to 1013 to recognize my X2 4800+.

It's possible that a single core cpu (using the same core as the X2)
wouldn't have worked either.