XFX GeForce FX 5200 get detected as GeForce4 MX 420

Old May 16th 04, 07:09 PM
Rahul Kuchhal

Default XFX GeForce FX 5200 get detected as GeForce4 MX 420

Hi Everyone!, I recently assembled a computer on my own. I used a
GeForce FX 5200 video card from XFX and a Shuttle A35 Motherboard with
Athlon 2800 CPU. I installed Windows 2000 with latest service pack.

The problem is when I install the video driver from NVIDIA (even the
latest one) my video card shows up as GeForce4 MX 420 in windows
settings with a speed of 4x AGP. My motherboard says it supports 8x
AGP and GeForce FX 5200 of course support 8x AGP.

I have tried many things but it is just not able to figure out the
correct card. Are there any BIOS settings that I will have to tweak? I
would have thought as long as AGP 8x is supported by motherboard and
video card, there are no other compatibility issues.

Any hints/ideas will be very appreciated.
Old May 18th 04, 01:13 PM
anon

Tried uninstalling Display drivers in Add/Remove dialogue, rebooting,
stopping the found new hardware wizard on reboot.Then using FX5200 cd for
installing drivers?

om...

Old May 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Rahul Kuchhal

I tried that several times. Infact last time I uninstalled all the
video as well as motherboard drivers. Booted Windows in safe mode,
deleted all the lingering files and then installed the drivers again.
But no luck!

Old May 27th 04, 01:55 PM
Matt

Rahul Kuchhal wrote:
Hi Everyone!, I recently assembled a computer on my own. I used a
GeForce FX 5200 video card from XFX and a Shuttle A35 Motherboard with
Athlon 2800 CPU. I installed Windows 2000 with latest service pack.

The problem is when I install the video driver from NVIDIA (even the
latest one) my video card shows up as GeForce4 MX 420 in windows
settings with a speed of 4x AGP. My motherboard says it supports 8x
AGP and GeForce FX 5200 of course support 8x AGP.

I have tried many things but it is just not able to figure out the
correct card. Are there any BIOS settings that I will have to tweak? I
would have thought as long as AGP 8x is supported by motherboard and
video card, there are no other compatibility issues.

Any hints/ideas will be very appreciated.

Maybe it IS an MX420? Check the FCC ID and other markings on the board.

Old May 27th 04, 11:43 PM
Darthy

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:42:25 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

I bought a "new" FX5200 from Walmart and it is in reality a Ti4200 that was
already overclocked too!!!!!!

Some butheads try the switcheroo trick by applying the wrong bar code
sticker and then returning a lesser product for a better one.

But in my case the buthead screwed himself. This overclocked Ti4200 smokes
any FX5200.....(not literally)

Maybe yours got switched..dunnno - YMMV

My original posts about this are still available in Google...

Yeah, I remember YOU... heh... people still laugh about it I think.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.