Geforce 4 Ti4400 AGP slot voltage

Old July 29th 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

Default Geforce 4 Ti4400 AGP slot voltage

I have a PNY GF4 Ti4400 that I'm using in my Athlon64 system
till my 7600GT arrives. I also have a legacy Win98SE/DOS box that has
a Voodoo5 5500 AGP. It's an MSI MS-5169 mainboard. The AGP slot is
3.3v. The Voodoo 5 is ok, but It seems to be unstable with alot of
games (all are older Win95/98 era). Even using original 3DFX drivers,
or tweaked newer 3rd party. I'm thinking that it must be something to
do with the Win98SE updates. I've tried only using DirectX 7, and not
updating it to DirectX 9.0c, but still no fix.
Since the only thing I'd be missing is Glide compatability, I
would rather try the GF4 Ti4400 instead. Does anyone know if the GF4
Ti4400 would work in a 3.3v slot?
Old July 29th 06, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Gault

Larry Roberts wrote:
I have a PNY GF4 Ti4400 that I'm using in my Athlon64 system
till my 7600GT arrives. I also have a legacy Win98SE/DOS box that has
a Voodoo5 5500 AGP. It's an MSI MS-5169 mainboard. The AGP slot is
3.3v. The Voodoo 5 is ok, but It seems to be unstable with alot of
games (all are older Win95/98 era). Even using original 3DFX drivers,
or tweaked newer 3rd party. I'm thinking that it must be something to
do with the Win98SE updates. I've tried only using DirectX 7, and not
updating it to DirectX 9.0c, but still no fix.
Since the only thing I'd be missing is Glide compatability, I
would rather try the GF4 Ti4400 instead. Does anyone know if the GF4
Ti4400 would work in a 3.3v slot?

The PNY site has the following info.

Question?
40) Are the PNY Graphics Cards 1.5 volts or 3.3 volts?

Answer

All PNY graphics cards are based on the AGP 2.0 Specification signal in
a 1.5 volt or 3.3 volts.
The AGP interface allows signaling at either 3.3 volts or 1.5 volts. The
signaling level is determined through the value of I/O interface
voltage. AGP add-in cards operate at one of the two signaling levels and
can only be plugged into a motherboard capable of supporting that
particular signaling level. The 1x and 2x modes can operate at either
signaling level. The 4x mode is restricted to the 1.5 volt signaling
level because of signal integrity limitations. The signaling rate is
determined by software negotiation based on the capabilities of the AGP
master and target.

Old July 29th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Larry Roberts:

Since the only thing I'd be missing is Glide compatability, I
would rather try the GF4 Ti4400 instead. Does anyone know if the GF4
Ti4400 would work in a 3.3v slot?

Yes, it does.

Benjamin
Old July 29th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:56:49 -0700, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

* Larry Roberts:

Since the only thing I'd be missing is Glide compatability, I
would rather try the GF4 Ti4400 instead. Does anyone know if the GF4
Ti4400 would work in a 3.3v slot?

Yes, it does.

Benjamin

Thanks for the info.
Old July 29th 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:49:23 GMT, Robert Gault
wrote:

Larry Roberts wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the info.
Old July 30th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

BTW, you should have at least DX8 with the last few official 3dfx driver
builds. DX9c will be fine, too. This could explain why some games are
unstable with that card.

Old July 31st 06, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:20:17 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

BTW, you should have at least DX8 with the last few official 3dfx driver
builds. DX9c will be fine, too. This could explain why some games are
unstable with that card.

That was the first of 5 formats, and reinstalls I tried using
the Voodoo 5. Only the Glide games seemed to work ok. All of the
MechWarrior 2 Titanium series wouldn't work though, nor would MW 2
"Mercs" with the 3D update. As soon as you would launch into combat it
would lockup the system. Every other Direct3D game I tried (which came
from the Win98 era as well) would lockup at the 3D rendered screens.
Same for Jane's Flight Sims, which won't run on WinXP. Very
frustrating.

Old July 31st 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Is this the first time you used a Voodoo5 on a Super-7 board? This site has
some helpful BIOS settings:
http://www.hwupgrade.it/news/stampa/altre/805.html

Old August 1st 06, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:14:55 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

Is this the first time you used a Voodoo5 on a Super-7 board? This site has
some helpful BIOS settings:
http://www.hwupgrade.it/news/stampa/altre/805.html

Yes. This was the first Super Socket 7 system I ever had, but
I did have a Socket 7 (85Mhz FSB was the fastest) that had an AGP 1x
slot. I had tried running a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP on it, but it wouldn't
boot. I ended up using a Voodoo Banshe AGP that worked fine on it.
Thanks for the link. I'll try these settings.