sound problem

Old December 11th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Arvind

Default sound problem

Hi,

I was trying to connect my dell inspiron 600m to my stereo system and
play it through AUX of the stereo system.

There was some humming noise, so I tried pressing and turning the
connector that goes into the headphone jack in my laptop. After some
time, all the sound stopped! There is no sound even when there is a
normal headphone into the headphone jack of my laptop and even if there
is no headphone connected into the headphone jack.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what could be the
problem and any solutions.

Thanks,

Arvind

Old December 11th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Matthew Hicks

I would first make sure that your audio levels are fine by looking at the
advanced volume controller. If those are good and you still can't hear
anything, you probably messed up the female audio output jack through all
the jostling you did.

---Matthew Hicks

ps.com...

Old December 11th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
JoeSpareBedroom

"Arvind" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

I was trying to connect my dell inspiron 600m to my stereo system and
play it through AUX of the stereo system.

There was some humming noise, so I tried pressing and turning the
connector that goes into the headphone jack in my laptop. After some
time, all the sound stopped! There is no sound even when there is a
normal headphone into the headphone jack of my laptop and even if there
is no headphone connected into the headphone jack.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what could be the
problem and any solutions.

Thanks,

Arvind

Describe the wire you used to connect the computer to the stereo. Did you
buy it ready-made, or assemble it yourself?

Old December 11th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Arvind wrote:

I was trying to connect my dell inspiron 600m to my stereo system
and play it through AUX of the stereo system.

There was some humming noise, so I tried pressing and turning the
connector that goes into the headphone jack in my laptop. After
some time, all the sound stopped! There is no sound even when
there is a normal headphone into the headphone jack of my laptop
and even if there is no headphone connected into the headphone jack.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what could be
the problem and any solutions.

After sufficient twisting most wires break. Same for solder joints.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Old December 11th 06, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Arvind

Hi,

Something weird. I read a post saying that many problems by rebooting
in safe mode and then rebooting in normal mode. My problem was solved
by doing this. No clue what happened.

This is crazy. Some days back I was playing video on my laptop thru TV
using S-video. After a while everything just hung, so I did a forced
reboot. Upon starting I got a message saying "disk read error". I did
steps to recover from corrupt hive and everything worked after a few
(tense) hours. MS/dell please tell me what is going on!!!!!!

Arvind

Old December 11th 06, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Arvind

Ready-made. Something which has two inputs (white and red) and one
output which goes into headphone jack of laptop. I have used this for
year and a half with no probs.

Arvind

Old December 11th 06, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Matthew Hicks

I have had the sound stop on my laptop before while I was play a movie or
song in a media player program before. I could never get the sound back
until I completely restarted the computer. I think the program messed with
my sound levels with some system calls and they never undid them upon
exiting.

---Matthew Hicks

oups.com...

Old December 11th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Arvind

MS is great and sucky at the same time. When will software work like
cars or is it never possible because OS software is too
complicated???!!!!

Arvind

Old December 11th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Arvind wrote

MS is great and sucky at the same time.

So is everyone else.

When will software work like cars

Never.

or is it never possible because OS software is too complicated???!!!!

Correct. Things do get a lot better over time, most obviously
with networking and hard drives which are now much better
than they used to be, but we keep adding new stuff like
wireless etc so there is always plenty of bleeding edge stuff.

The rate of new technology leaves that in cars for dead basically.