Windows XP Driver for Compaq 64 Bit Fibre Channel Adapter

Old December 25th 05, 07:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Windows XP Driver for Compaq 64 Bit Fibre Channel Adapter

Where is the Windows XP / Windows 2003 driver for the Compaq 64 Bit Fibre
Channel Adapter, Compaq spare part 161290-001 and option part 120186-b21?

If no Windows XP driver exists, what recent vintage Compaq FCA has Windows
XP support and also works with the 4100 series Compaq Fibre Channel Arrays?

--
Will

Old December 25th 05, 09:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nope, and none.

FCAL is considered a server-only kind-of-thing

I am afraid you are SOL ....

- LC

PS: if i'm wrong, someone let me know.

thx ...

Old December 25th 05, 11:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Is there a Windows 2003 driver then? Windows XP and Windows 2003 use the
same device driver structure. They are basically the same product with
somewhat different facades on the same user tools and different default
configurations. But the core OS, services, and applets are the same.

If there is a Windows 2003 driver, then where is it located?

--
Will

Old December 25th 05, 05:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

check a server type the has 64bit slots, and windows 2003 support ... like
the ML370.

2003 drivers "might" work under XP, but i would expect a lot of trouble
getting it to work.

- LC

Old December 25th 05, 08:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

That was a great strategy, and everything works! The Windows 2003 drivers
for the older fibre channel storage card installed immediately, and without
problem, on Windows XP. In this case the driver doesn't say 64-bit
explicitly in the title, so I'm thinking the install may have put a driver
for the 32-bit card there, but I'm thankful at this point to have any
support. In my experience, the only times that drivers refuse to
cross-install between the two is when a company - out of ignorance or bad
marketing - makes a business decision to prevent the installation. I'm
sure that Microsoft sabotages many of its server installs and probably
refuses to let them run on Windows XP. But it's clear why they do this:
they have an economic self interest in making you spend more money for a
server OS.

Now I'm setting up hard links from folders on the boot volume to the fibre
channel storage system, and that works well also. I use the linkd command
for this, and because Windows XP shares the same core OS and file system
with Windows 2003, you can usually do some very sophisticated things with
the file system's organization that you would normally only expect to find
on a server. In my case this system is a home system, and I'm installing
Microsoft Flight Simulator on a SCSI drive, but I'm secretly mapping the
directory that contains thousands of terrain files onto a fibre channel
storage system with a four disk RAID 5 using the linkd command. Loading
those terrain files is extremely I/O intensive, involving sometimes the
array off during the week to save energy, and when I do need access to it I
can simply turn it on and reacquire the volume.

Now I just need to find the registry hack to turn on drive mirroring in
Windows XP, and it will be more than sufficient for a high end home system.

Old December 26th 05, 12:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

glad the other method worked for you. native HP drivers dont often denote
the difference between a 32bit and 64bit card. they just say StorageWorks
Fibre Controller /P, or something like that. I dont have any 64bit cards,
but I have several 32bit cards and a bunch of RA4000's.

Now I just need to find the registry hack to turn on drive mirroring in
Windows XP, and it will be more than sufficient for a high end home
system.

Why a reg hack? Use DiskManagement to setup the mirrored volume.

To create a mirrored volume

Using the Windows interface

1.. Open Computer Management (Local).
2.. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

a.. Computer Management (Local)
b.. Storage
c.. Disk Management
3.. Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks on which
you want to create the mirrored volume, and then click New Volume.
4.. In the New Volume Wizard, click Next, click Mirrored, and then follow
the instructions on your screen.
Notes

a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control
Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer
Management.
b.. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer
is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you
from completing this procedure.
c.. You can create mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000
Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.
d.. You need two dynamic disks to create a mirrored volume.
e.. You can mirror an existing simple volume.
f.. Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant and use RAID-1, which provides
redundancy by creating two identical copies of a volume.
g.. Mirrored volumes cannot be extended or striped.
h.. Both copies (mirrors) of the mirrored volume share the same drive
letter.

- LC

Attached Images

Old December 26th 05, 04:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

If you read your own instructions, they clearly say that mirroring is only
available on the server product. On every Windows XP I have ever seen, the
"Add Mirror" menu item on Disk Manager is greyed out. Supposedly you need
to modify some registry entry under XP in order to enable mirroring.

Old December 26th 05, 05:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Yes, I know. I posted that to illustrate that you cant do it on XP. The
workstation products used to be able to do simple stripes and mirrors. im
rather suprised they dropped the support for it. In the meanwhile, use a
hardware based RAID controller. Hardware is always better than software, in
my opinion.

I wipped out my googfing and went to work. I didnt find anything, and i
doubt it would be a simple as a registry tweak.

- LC

Old December 26th 05, 08:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I found the article that talks about how to make RAID-5 on Windows XP work,
and I assume once you did that tweak you would be able to do mirroring as
well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/...pen/index.html

Old December 26th 05, 01:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

interesting ... i would still prefer a hardware based solution. Just out of
curiosity, if your primary drive were to fail under the mirror, do you know
what you would need to do to boot the system again ?

- LC