Doom 3 or Far Cry - Slower System

Old November 7th 04, 10:47 PM
Glitch

Default Doom 3 or Far Cry - Slower System

BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious wrote:
BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but

not in
the same "dying for it" way.

Specs:

Win98SE on
P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
512 MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
SB Audigy

Well I'd always choose Far Cry over Doom3,but both games would run at
medium settings on your system.
Far Cry is better than Doom3 in segments of story,missions,etc.
I was really looking forward to Doom3 but when I got the game(pirated
copy) I was so disapointed,I was really happy that I didn't buy the
original.
On the other hand Far Cry didn't have all the media hype but I turned
out as an excellent game.
I played both of them at Medium-High settings,1152x864 res.,4xTAA and 8xAF.
Both games ran really smooth but Far Cry did run slightly better.
My system:
P4 2.8(Northwood 800) on Gigabyte GA-8I875Ultra
2x512 DDR400 Viking
ATI Radeon 9700PRO 128MB
Built in sound card(Realtek ALC658)

Old November 7th 04, 10:55 PM
BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious

Thanks Glitch. I hope some other people chime in too.

The other thing is Doom3 costs $70 while Far Cry is $50.

Old November 7th 04, 11:19 PM
Dek

Doom3 and Far Cry play well at medium image quality settings on my system:
XP2800 and 9800pro/128mb.

The 9800pro card handles the DirectX9 graphics very well with both games and
I get a decent frame rate on both games. However your P4 1.8 will hold your
graphics card back a bit. Both games would still be playable although you
may have to reduce the image quality a tad. I'd consider upgrading your CPU
if you can.

The minimum CPU for Doom3 is 1.5Ghz and it's 1Ghz for Far Cry. Have you
noticed that Doom3 only states that it's compatible with Windows 2000/XP, so
it might not even run on your system.

Both games have next generation graphics but only Far Cry is next generation
in terms of gameplay. Of the two Far Cry is easily the superior and most fun
game to play!

....Dek

PS - but neither game will touch HL2 when it comes out next week ...just to
give you something else to think about ;-)

I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
Service Plan!

Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3 for
Far Cry and hope it is more fun?

BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not
in
the same "dying for it" way.

Specs:

Win98SE on
P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
512 MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
SB Audigy

TIA

Old November 7th 04, 11:46 PM
MJ

"BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" wrote in message
Thanks Glitch. I hope some other people chime in too.

The other thing is Doom3 costs $70 while Far Cry is $50.

Why so much??? Is that US Dollars?

Far Cry performs better on ATI cards when you crank up the settings (but
your CPU will be a factor)
Doom3 better with Nvidia cards like the 6800...
I have both and both games are great! Doom 3 is not a let down like others
might say.
They are both completely different and unique.
I would check to see if anyone has played it on W98. Plus I would return it
and check EBAY.
I bought my copy for $32 a month ago.

Shop around for a better CPU & you might upgrade to XP to run D3.

Old November 8th 04, 12:37 AM
Blaedmon

why choose? get both!
As with any of the new-engine games, Doom3 and FarCry are very scaleable -
and D3 has a number of performance tweaks for it which, given your system,
will make it very playable with some of the bells & whistles turned on. Your
pc is an older system, save for the 9800pro, but I'm sure you could get some
damn good playing out of either title with no hassles.
As for which game to buy... read my first line, if you can afford it. But if
I had to choose... well.. I cant coz theyre both excellent. Theyre both
shooting games.. I dont understand people that use the 'theres no storyline'
point because.. well you're shooting things and trying to stay alive. Why do
you need a storyline!? Both games look excellent, D3 a little more so -
despite it having little to no outdoor environments.

Old November 8th 04, 12:39 AM
Taipan

[...]

Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable of
taxing the 9800 Pro.

--
TP

Old November 8th 04, 05:40 AM
?uzzled

"Taipan" wrote in message
Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable of
taxing the 9800 Pro.

--
TP

That's what I thought at first but you have to persevere with D3. You just
don't notice how subtly the levels changes and how atmospheric the game is
until you're jumping out of your seat. (You know something is behind the
next door and it still makes me jump off my seat :-) )

I downloaded the demo of Far Cry and just can't see anything special about
it. I've got a 9800pro and so 'yes' I can turn up the eye candy. But for ME,
the gameplay is just 'so what..'.

Old November 8th 04, 07:45 AM
johns

Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry?

Honest. Doom3 is a total bore. It is the same thing over and over and
over. Far Cry on the other hand is really fun, and even a lot of fun to
repeat with different and improving tactics at higher levels of difficulty.
I'm ready for Far Cry 2. And I'm also ready for Doom3 to live up to
the level of Doom from years ago. It did not. Far Cry has set a standard
in gaming that nothing else is meeting.

johns

Old November 8th 04, 10:12 AM
Taipan

"?uzzled" wrote in message

"Taipan" wrote in message
Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable
of
taxing the 9800 Pro.

--
TP

That's what I thought at first but you have to persevere with D3. You just
don't notice how subtly the levels changes and how atmospheric the game is
until you're jumping out of your seat. (You know something is behind the
next door and it still makes me jump off my seat :-) )

I downloaded the demo of Far Cry and just can't see anything special about
it. I've got a 9800pro and so 'yes' I can turn up the eye candy. But for
ME,
the gameplay is just 'so what..'.

I guess everyone likes something different - I did play Doom 3 for while
after the 30 mins to see if it got any better but it all just felt too
similar - perhaps I'll reinstall it and try again at some point - Far Cry on
the other hand, whilst having some similar levels, featured a plot and
gameplay that actually kept me wanting to play - the first FPS to do so
since HL (though still not nearly as good as HL's plot/level design IMO).

Looking forward to HL2 as are of the gaming universe I imagine - fingers
crossed it's not a disappointment.

--
TP