Video board for A7N8X-E deluxe

Old January 11th 05, 08:54 AM
Michael Riley

Default Video board for A7N8X-E deluxe

On a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, is an ATI Radeon 9000 64MB 128-bit DDR
AGP 2X/4X
Video Card ok to use?

The manual states that the graphics card should run 1.5 volts. Writeup on
this video board has the following spec.'s:

Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/CeleronT, AMD® K6/DuronT/Athlon®/Athlon XP® or

compatible with -- AGP 2X (3.3v), 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0
bus
configuration (2X/4X/8X).

What I don't understand is the three voltages listed. Obviously, the AGP 2X
at 3.3v wouldn't be what the Asus Mobo manual calls for. The other two
voltages listed for AGP 4X and AGP 8x respectively, have voltages that would
be acceptable.

Would this module run the voltage based on what the Asus motherboard is
operating at, or would the video module try to run a higher voltage than
the motherboard should run at? Which module is in control?

My hunch is the motherboard would have the video board running at AGP 4X
(1.5v), is
my assumption correct? Is anyone out there using a Radeon 9000 with the
A7N8X deluxe?

Thanks for your help!

Old January 11th 05, 05:24 PM
Kylesb

Yes, it will work.

ATI has a good web page explaining the compatibility of various AGP
cards with various AGP version slots, search the ATI site and you
should find it. Primarily, it explains the purposes of the notches or
"slots" in the AGP card edge connectors. If your AGP video card has 2
notches, it is 3.3 and 1.5v compatible (I think that's the way it
goes, best as I recall).

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old January 11th 05, 05:55 PM
Paul

In article , "Michael Riley"
wrote:

[...]

If you hate details, simply skip to the bottom of this post :-)

******

For some background reading, there are the AGP 2.0 and AGP 3.0
specs.

Intel has removed their AGP docs. The web archive has a copy of
AGP 3.0, but AGP 2.0 was on an FTP server, that was not archived.

http://web.archive.org/web/200303140...0_final_10.pdf

This is where I found a copy of AGP20 today.

http://ftp.cizgi.com.tr/info/agp20.pdf

Basically, there are three signal voltages, but only two supply
voltages.

A 1.5V supply is suitable for AGP 4X and AGP 8X. At AGP 4X, the
actual digital signal swings 1.5V, but at AGP 8X, the signal swings
0.8V (half amplitude), due to the bus having a parallel termination
resistor at the end.

A 3.3V supply is suitable for the lower rates.

There is a pin on the video card, called TYPEDET#, which indicates
the video card's preference. If a motherboard has a universal
connector (no plastic keys inserted in the throat of the connector),
then either type of video card can be inserted. Such a universal
motherboard will have a V_agp supply circuit that actually listens
to the TYPEDET# signal. TYPEDET# indicates the video cards voltage
preference, and the motherboard only listens to that voltage
preference, if the motherboard can handle both voltages.

A motherboard with a 1.5V only AGP connector, will have a plastic
key that checks that the card is compatible. A video card that is
1.5V only or a video card that is universal, will have a slot cut
that fits the 1.5V key. A motherboard which is 1.5V only, will only
have a fixed 1.5V power supply on it - it won't have the ability to
make 3.3V at all, and such a motherboard ignores TYPEDET# for the
purposes of setting the AGP I/O supply voltage.

On Asus motherboards more recent than the P4B, there is a tiny
circuit that checks the TYPEDET# pin. If an Asus motherboard would
be damaged by a 3.3V only video card, the circuit checks that
TYPEDET# is indicating the video card prefers 1.5V. This "AGP
Warn" circuit will prevent the motherboard from powering up, if
TYPEDET# indicates that a 3.3V only video card is inserted in
the slot. This check was made necessary due to a number of
(quite old) video cards being mis-keyed. Any modern AGP video card
made in the last two or three years will be properly keyed, and
the keying system will prevent a bad combo of video card and
motherboard from occurring. Any of the "bad" video cards will be
caught by the "AGP warn" circuit. If you combine one of the
few 1.5V only Asus motherboards not protected by "AGP Warn",
with one of the few mis-keyed video cards, then the Northbridge
will be burned out. The moral of that story, is be careful when
searching through your junk bin :-)

******

Your video card likely has two slots cut in it. It will look
like case (e) at the bottom of the mirror.ati.com web page.
Case (e) is a working combo, and there should be no harm
to video card or motherboard.

http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

HTH,
Paul
Old January 12th 05, 08:07 PM
Jorgen [DK/2400]

I'm running both and ati radeon 9500 pro and a radeon 9600 on my board
without problems.. of course not simultaneous ! ;-)

-jorgen¨