ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.

Old June 22nd 04, 03:55 PM
.

Default ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.

ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.

I have never used standby mode on my computer before, but when I tried
it, my RAID-0 drive stopped working. When I boot up, I get the
following error message:

Problem is detected with Array1

Array No: Array 1
RAID Mode: Stripe
Total Drives: 2
Capacity: 120044

My motherboard is an ASUS P4PE. The raid-0 consists of 2 Western
Digital 60GB.

There is a FastBuild utility that I can use, but don't know the effect
of using it. I don't want to destroy the data I have on the raid-0
drive.

MBFastBuild (tm) Utility 1.21 (c) 1996-2001 Promise Technology, Inc.

1. Auto Setup
2. View Drive Assignments
3. View Array
4. Delete Array
5. Rebuild Array
6. Controller Configuration

Any ideas?
Old June 22nd 04, 04:20 PM

If you use a stripe array yr data is spread across two drives, therefore you
are unlikely to have any usable data on the single drive - other than by
using disk editing software -
You might as well rebuild the array
If you wish to have data available at all times, in the event of hd failure,
you should use a mirror array

om...

Old June 23rd 04, 09:30 AM
Tim

Hi,

At a guess I would say the standby has disagreed with the RAID driver. The
status implies that both discs are completely offline (IE not in a ready
state) - may be wrong.

I would just shutdown and restart and see if it comes back.

If you had any applications with files open on the drives at the time of
standby then you may have file corruptions.

Check on Promise web site to see if there are driver / firmware updates that
address the standby issue and also for any help on how to recover /
clarification of Fastbuild, array status etc.

I would not use standby until this is 100% cleared up and would test standby
on a drive you can afford to reformat.

As per D's comments: if the data is important then you should not be using
RAID 0.

- Tim

om...

Old June 23rd 04, 07:19 PM
John Smith

"Tim" wrote in message ...
Hi,

At a guess I would say the standby has disagreed with the RAID driver. The
status implies that both discs are completely offline (IE not in a ready
state) - may be wrong.

I would just shutdown and restart and see if it comes back.

If you had any applications with files open on the drives at the time of
standby then you may have file corruptions.

Check on Promise web site to see if there are driver / firmware updates that
address the standby issue and also for any help on how to recover /
clarification of Fastbuild, array status etc.

I would not use standby until this is 100% cleared up and would test standby
on a drive you can afford to reformat.

As per D's comments: if the data is important then you should not be using
RAID 0.

- Tim

"." wrote in message
om...
[...]

P4PE Motherboard User Guide:

ref: Page 5-31

---Delete Array: This command deletes an array to reconfigure the
system. Deleting an array does not remove information on the hard
disks. If an array is deleted by mistake, recover it immediately by
redefining it as the deleted array---

I've tested this after standby mode put one of my RAID-0 drives
offline. Assuming the array was created with default settings (see
user guide), it's a simple case of deleting the array and then
redefining it.