NAV2010 & WinXP Firewall

Old January 9th 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default NAV2010 & WinXP Firewall

I run NAV2010, but not NIS2010. I was wondering how WinXP's Firewall
would work with Nav2010? Is anyone running this combination and could
provide some insights? And also, so possible settings for WinXP's
Firewall.

Thanks for any input!

charliec
Old January 13th 10, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pip22[_20_]

The Windows XP Firewall has no settings to speak of, it just monitors
traffic coming in to the PC, monitors nothing going the other way, and
does this with very little in the way of user intervention. Which is why
many Windows users turn it off and install a stronger firewall.

It should work alongside NAV 2010 with no problems, though why you
would want to use NAV is beyond me. It's still a memory-hog despite
improvements, and it's virus detection is not the best despite the big
name.

If you want a strong anti-virus and firewall package (so they are bound
to work well together) and one that's completely free, try Comodo
Internet Security:
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/d..._firewall.html

I've got it running faultlessly on both my XP and Vista machines. never
regretted it.

Old January 13th 10, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:12:06 -0600, pip22 wrote:

The Windows XP Firewall has no settings to speak of, it just monitors
traffic coming in to the PC, monitors nothing going the other way, and
does this with very little in the way of user intervention. Which is why
many Windows users turn it off and install a stronger firewall.

It should work alongside NAV 2010 with no problems, though why you
would want to use NAV is beyond me. It's still a memory-hog despite
improvements, and it's virus detection is not the best despite the big
name.

If you want a strong anti-virus and firewall package (so they are bound
to work well together) and one that's completely free, try Comodo
Internet Security:
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/d..._firewall.html

I've got it running faultlessly on both my XP and Vista machines. never
regretted it.

This might be a stupid question - but if these items/functionality is
free, what makes it so great and how do they fund the constant updates
requires? What am I missing?
Old January 14th 10, 03:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Moldy Cheese[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

They have a Pro version of the software that you have to pay for. It has more
features than the free version. They're hoping that you'll like the free version and
will then buy the Pro version.