9800GX2 30% faster than 8800 Ultra

Old January 7th 08, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default 9800GX2 30% faster than 8800 Ultra

From TH's:

"We don't know yet if the GeForce 9800GX2, which is supposed to be 30%
faster than the 8800 Ultra, will support Quad SLI configurations.

The expected price: around $449 US. Expected announcement date: February
14, 2008."

Something isn't right: Is thee comment that the 9800GX2 is 30% faster
than 8800 Ultra *SLI*, or a single 8800 Ultra? They do not mention SLI
in the above comment and are unclear.

If the 980GX2 is only 30% faster than a single 8800 Ultra, being two
cards, that implies a single 9800 card is about 2/3rds as fast as a
single 8000GTX. That can't be correct!
Old January 7th 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

9800GX2 basically consists of two 8800GTS 512MB cards in SLI. Clock speed
may have even been reduced to fit in a tighter thermal envelope. As you
know, SLI scaling can vary greatly from game to game, and from OS to OS.
"30%", or "at least 30%" as reported by some other websites like HardOCP, is
a meaningless number.

Is that an optical S/PDIF port I see on the back?

From TH's:

Old January 8th 08, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:
9800GX2 basically consists of two 8800GTS 512MB cards in SLI. Clock speed
may have even been reduced to fit in a tighter thermal envelope. As you
know, SLI scaling can vary greatly from game to game, and from OS to OS.
"30%", or "at least 30%" as reported by some other websites like HardOCP, is
a meaningless number.

Is that an optical S/PDIF port I see on the back?

That's all very nice, but it doesn't answer the question of what that
30% increase is referring to, a single 8800 or two 8800's!
Old January 8th 08, 04:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Remember the 9800GX2 is marketed as a single card, so they mean 30% faster
than a single 8800 Ultra. Don't be silly. Remember the nVidia engineers are
not magicians, even with guys like Tarolli working in the company.

Old January 8th 08, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:
Remember the 9800GX2 is marketed as a single card, so they mean 30% faster
than a single 8800 Ultra.

Then the 9800GX2, which is two cards, is only a third faster than a
single card. (But maybe the same price)

All the headaches of SLI, none of the advantages! Sounds like a very
uncompelling purchase.
Old January 8th 08, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
First of One wrote:
Remember the 9800GX2 is marketed as a single card, so they mean 30%
faster than a single 8800 Ultra.

Then the 9800GX2, which is two cards, is only a third faster than a single
card. (But maybe the same price)

All the headaches of SLI, none of the advantages! Sounds like a very
uncompelling purchase.

Being an owner of a 7950GX2, I'd have to agree with that sentiment. I'm
definitely going to be staying away from the 9800GX2 and any subsequent
versions.

RF.

Old January 8th 08, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

The Tomshardware article gave the 9800GX2 a pricetag of $449. It's cheaper
than a 8800Ultra ($660 at Newegg), and cheaper than buying two 8800GTS 512MB
cards. If street pricing can be kept at $449 (and that's nVidia's flagship
offering), then it's reasonable.

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 9th 08, 12:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

All the headaches of SLI, none of the advantages! Sounds like a very
uncompelling purchase.

Being an owner of a 7950GX2, I'd have to agree with that sentiment. I'm
definitely going to be staying away from the 9800GX2 and any subsequent
versions.

Me too. Screw nvidia. If they want to sell us a oldgen card and make
us wait for a nextgen card, then I'll wait and see what AMD/ATI has to
offer. Still hoping ATI will pull it together and release something beyond
the 3870.

rms

Old January 9th 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Yeah, AMD has a 3870 X2 coming up soon...

What nVidia has done is giving the older G80-based cards a die-shrink to 65
nm. If the 9800GX2 at the rumored $449 is the flagship, then the single-GPU
cards like the 9800GTX will be cheaper. This means we'll see better
performance at each price point.

Feel free to wait. I am just glad nVidia isn't going the way of Intel. Intel
is pulling away with its advanced 45 nm QX9650 CPUs: exciting, but quite
irrelevant at $1100 apiece.

et...

Old January 9th 08, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

"First of One" wrote in message
Yeah, AMD has a 3870 X2 coming up soon...

What nVidia has done is giving the older G80-based cards a die-shrink to
65 nm. If the 9800GX2 at the rumored $449 is the flagship, then the
single-GPU cards like the 9800GTX will be cheaper. This means we'll see
better performance at each price point.

Feel free to wait. I am just glad nVidia isn't going the way of Intel.
Intel is pulling away with its advanced 45 nm QX9650 CPUs: exciting, but
quite irrelevant at $1100 apiece.

The difference between the 3870X2 and the 9800GX2 is that the ATI offering
has both GPUs on one PCB. That'll make for a lot less heat, which
definitely is a limiting factor with the dual-PCB design of nVidia's
offerings. Which is why they had to underclock the cores on the 7950GX2 by
about 15% versus a normal 7900.

Crossfire also works differently than SLI, so you get benefits from it no
matter what the game, I think. At least, it's not as finicky.

I do agree that if the price is accurate, that bodes well for other
G92-based offerings.

RF.