Please suggest...

Old February 26th 04, 01:01 AM
iTsMeMa

Default Please suggest...

Good day all,

I need a refresher regarding boards, specifically what can I use to run my
XP2400. It's an 0349 locked puppy. I'm thinking 15 x 166 is possible, 15 x
160 more probable.
My question really is:
Via600 or NF2. One thing my current board doesn't offer is locking the
PCI/AGP busses.
I can get it to 15 x 150 Any faster and stability is an issue.
I think the move to DDR (yes I'm using SDRam) and a faster board chipset
combo will give me more out of my proc.
What kind of suggestions can you give me?

Many thanks,

Garry

Old February 26th 04, 01:42 AM
Wayne Youngman

"iTsMeMa" wrote
I need a refresher regarding boards, specifically what can I use to run my
XP2400. It's an 0349 locked puppy. I'm thinking 15 x 166 is possible, 15 x
160 more probable.
My question really is: Via600 or NF2.

Hi,
no contest! it's an nForce2 chipset mobo. I am a big fan of ABIT
motherboards, and they offer 3 choices for you:

NF7
NF7-S
AN7 (New!)

The NF7 series are very nice, with the -S version offering you SATA RAID,
Firewire & Soundstorm. I just got the AN7 and it's a nicer board than the
NF7 series (Grizzled O/C veterans may disagree). Funnily enough I am using
the XP2400+ CPU in this new build which is now clocked at 11x200=2.2GHz.

If you want pure value then I suggest the NF7. . . if you can spend a
*little extra* go with the NF7-S or the AN7
good luck. . . .

Old February 26th 04, 09:14 AM
Cyberia

"iTsMeMa" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Good day all,

I need a refresher regarding boards, specifically what can I use to run my
XP2400. It's an 0349 locked puppy. I'm thinking 15 x 166 is possible, 15 x
160 more probable.
My question really is:
Via600 or NF2. One thing my current board doesn't offer is locking the
PCI/AGP busses.
I can get it to 15 x 150 Any faster and stability is an issue.
I think the move to DDR (yes I'm using SDRam) and a faster board chipset
combo will give me more out of my proc.
What kind of suggestions can you give me?

Many thanks,

Garry

I'm not too sure about running the 2400 at 15x166; that would give a clock
of 2490, and unless you are overvolting and have some serious cooling I
suspect that the highest clock you will be able to reach is in the region of
2200-2300. Therefore I think that your max clock of 15x150 (2250) is
probably CPU limited. I cant recall if the T-bred B's got superlocked or
not but if they did then it's likely that your one is. If it's not
superlocked then the multipliers above 13 are all available, so if you get
DDR ram you could drop the multiplier to about 13.5 and set the FSB to 166
giving you the same clock speed as you are getting now (near enough) but
having an overall faster system because of the higher FSB. If you want even
more from your proc and it isn't a superlocked one then you could wire mod
it or mess with the bridges to unlock all the multipliers and have 200FSB.
As Wayne says the max you are likely to get that way is 200x11

You should check if your memory frequency is locked too because if not you
are currently overclocking your SDRAM quite a lot and unless it's a very
good brand it might not last long.

If you are looking for a new board though, I can really recommend the
N-force2 chipset (specifically the Ultra). Although the KT600 is a
perfectly good chipset too if you're on a budget.

Old February 26th 04, 10:01 AM
iTsMeMa

Wayne
Thanks for the recommendation on the Abit. I was leaning towards MSI but am
always willing to learn. I'll read up on their choices tonight.

Cyberia,
Yep, it's locked :-(
I can currently run it at 15 x 153 on my KT133A board, but stability is an
issue, and YES I know I'm pounding my (generic) ram.
Hence the requst for suggestions. Just want a board that locks PCI/AGP, has
DDR and will let me play harder.
That's two votes for n-force.

Thanks for your reply guys!!

Garry.

"Cyberia" wrote in message
newsOi%b.478$jg7.264@newsfe1-win...

Old February 26th 04, 04:04 PM
Very Cheap Computers

I have the N-force2 Ultra chipset running 2X 512 Samsung 400 DDR XP2600+
running 192 fsb 7 Fans 4x3" front /1X 3" side direct blow on cpu fan/1x5"
at rear 1 Top Sucking air out air out all low speed very quiet HDD Area has
own fan that area is segregated of so that the primary heat dissipation
area becomes smaller and the fans cope with ease i have had it at 200 fsb
but i noted the temperature did raise above 45Celsius running it now at 192
runs 31.2 to 39.8 under load
using AMD approved HS&Fan that came with CPU.
le.rogers.com...