Would buying an 8x AGP video card be over kill?

Old December 14th 05, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Would buying an 8x AGP video card be over kill?

My mobo has a 4x AGP slot.
Would buying an 8x AGP video card be over kill?
I am shopping for a reasonably priced card to make Quake 4 run better.
I have a P4 2Ghz with 1 Gig ram.
My current Gforce 2 doesn't do it for me anymore.

Old December 14th 05, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Time to upgrade all of it.

johns

Old December 14th 05, 03:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On 13 Dec 2005 18:09:54 -0800, "Terry" wrote:

My mobo has a 4x AGP slot.
Would buying an 8x AGP video card be over kill?

Yes... you would not see any difference, if 8X AGP was the ONLY
benefit that the new card brings....

I am shopping for a reasonably priced card to make Quake 4 run better.
I have a P4 2Ghz with 1 Gig ram.
My current Gforce 2 doesn't do it for me anymore.

Since you have a 4x AGP-compatible motherboard, buy a 6600GT/128 Meg
AGP (x4/x8)

eVGA version was $139 on Newegg and ZipZoomFly less a $20 mail-in
rebate a couple of days ago ( List price $199 on eVGA website ) Your
2 GHz CPU will then be the limiting factor in your gaming experience.
The 6600GT is DX9.0c/SM3.0 compatible.

No point in splurging any more money for a higher-end AGP card such
as the 6800GT (a) since your CPU won't hack it and (b) AGP is a
rapidly-dying standard. For your next complete computer update, think
PCIe.

John Lewis
Old December 15th 05, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
My mobo has a 4x AGP slot.
Would buying an 8x AGP video card be over kill?
I am shopping for a reasonably priced card to make Quake 4 run better.
I have a P4 2Ghz with 1 Gig ram.
My current Gforce 2 doesn't do it for me anymore.

Can you find a Ti4600? That's a 4x AGP card. Other than that, you will
still benefit from having a DX9 card, like ATI 9800 Pro or nVidia FX5900.
McG.

Old December 15th 05, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

No point in splurging any more money for a higher-end AGP card such
as the 6800GT (a) since your CPU won't hack it and (b) AGP is a
rapidly-dying standard. For your next complete computer update, think
PCIe.

Will a PCIe fit in a standard PCI slot? I gather by the name it will.
If PCIe is better then I should not even worry about having an AGP slot
as long as I have a free PCI slot.
Right?

Should I choose a PCIe card for this machine?
What would be a reasonable card that fits the machine?

P4 2G
1G mem

Thanks for your input

Old December 15th 05, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Terry schrieb:

Will a PCIe fit in a standard PCI slot?

Nope. Totally different beasts...

Benjamin
Old December 15th 05, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article . com,
says...
No point in splurging any more money for a higher-end AGP card such
as the 6800GT (a) since your CPU won't hack it and (b) AGP is a
rapidly-dying standard. For your next complete computer update, think
PCIe.

Will a PCIe fit in a standard PCI slot?

No.

I gather by the name it will.

You gather wrong.

If PCIe is better then I should not even worry about having an AGP slot
as long as I have a free PCI slot.
Right?

Wrong, see above.

Should I choose a PCIe card for this machine?

No, see above.

What would be a reasonable card that fits the machine?

P4 2G
1G mem

An AGP 6600 GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?
Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=679%3A10550&Propert yCodeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyC odeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyC odeValue=696%3A9639
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyC odeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyC odeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0
&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=48&S ubmit=Property

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2451225C

Thanks for your input

Okydoke.

Bill
Old December 16th 05, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

What would be a reasonable card that fits the machine?

P4 2G
1G mem

An AGP 6600 GT.

Okydoke.