Riva TNT2 Ultra Guillemot

Old September 20th 05, 03:51 AM
nina

Default Riva TNT2 Ultra Guillemot

I am looking for an updated driver for this card. I downloaded a driver
from Nvidia:

When I run the exe it says that I don't have a card that is supported.
Where else should I try?

Thanks,

nina
Old September 20th 05, 04:23 AM
Phil Weldon

Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter cards, a
TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they could be
installed, wouldn't improve performance.

Phil Weldon

Old September 20th 05, 06:01 AM
Larry Roberts

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:51:15 GMT, nina wrote:

I am looking for an updated driver for this card. I downloaded a driver
from Nvidia:

When I run the exe it says that I don't have a card that is supported.
Where else should I try?

Thanks,

nina

The newer drivers no longer support the GF2 GTS/Ti/Ultra, or
the TnT, & TnT2 cards. I'm not sure what the last version was though.
Old September 20th 05, 04:20 PM
nina

"Phil Weldon" wrote in
k.net:

Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter
cards, a TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they
could be installed, wouldn't improve performance.

Phil Weldon

I had to do a re-install of the OS after a hard drive died. I have an old
driver that I used with the filename: 29.42_winxp.exe However, this only
gives me a max resolution of 1024x768, which is not the maximum. I was
just looking to get a better resolution.

Old September 20th 05, 10:24 PM
deimos

nina wrote:
"Phil Weldon" wrote in
k.net:

Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter
cards, a TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they
could be installed, wouldn't improve performance.

Phil Weldon

I had to do a re-install of the OS after a hard drive died. I have an old
driver that I used with the filename: 29.42_winxp.exe However, this only
gives me a max resolution of 1024x768, which is not the maximum. I was
just looking to get a better resolution.

Check NVIDIA's FTP archive. I'm sure the 4x.xx series supported the
TNT2U and you should get fairly recent compatibility (except D3D HAL
DirectX 9 support, that was introduced as a software layer in 52.16).

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/45.23/

If you don't like that version, try 44.03, it was fairly popular too.
Old September 20th 05, 11:25 PM
First of One

You probably got the newest Forceware drivers, which no longer supports the
TNT2.

The final driver release to support it is 71.89:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Blame nVidia for not making this immediately clear.

Old September 22nd 05, 03:43 AM
nina

deimos wrote in
:

nina wrote:
"Phil Weldon" wrote in
k.net:

Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter
cards, a TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they
could be installed, wouldn't improve performance.

Phil Weldon

I had to do a re-install of the OS after a hard drive died. I have
an old driver that I used with the filename: 29.42_winxp.exe
However, this only gives me a max resolution of 1024x768, which is
not the maximum. I was just looking to get a better resolution.

Check NVIDIA's FTP archive. I'm sure the 4x.xx series supported the
TNT2U and you should get fairly recent compatibility (except D3D HAL
DirectX 9 support, that was introduced as a software layer in 52.16).

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/45.23/

If you don't like that version, try 44.03, it was fairly popular too.

Ok, thanks for the link, I will burn that to disk for future use!

However, after installing I am still in the same boat. I can only get a
maximum resolution of 1024x768. My monitor, a MultiSync XV17, supports
a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. I have never updated a monitor
driver as I have always been able to get the max res of a monitor right
out of the box. Any idea why my vid card's max res is currently
1024x768?

Thanks