System for Battlefield 2 (1 gig or 2?)

Old September 6th 05, 07:42 PM
jammie

Default System for Battlefield 2 (1 gig or 2?)

I am about to build a new computer and would like to know what setup
people think i will need to play games like Battlefield 2.

The maximum i can afford is
P4 3.2 GHZ 775
PCI-E Gigabyte motherboard
2 gig ram
x800xl graphics card

I would like to play the upcoming and future games smoothly will this
system be able to haddle that.

The other option is
P4 3.0 GHZ 775
PCI-E Gigabyte motherboard
1 gig ram
7800gt

I have been told that the 2 gig of ran in the first system would help
extremly and that the 7800gt isnt needed for most games and that the
x800xl will be fine.

Plz help with this as i am stuck for advice plz keep in mind that
battlefield 2 and the upcoming games will use over 1 gig of ram.

Thanks Jami

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-B...pict61686.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311139
Old September 6th 05, 07:51 PM
John Doe

I think the short answer is "yes", one or two GB is enough.

The impression I got from reading was that about 1.5 GB was
enough.

You can find a whole lot of discussion about the real system
requirements for Battlefield 2 by looking in the UseNet archives
(Google groups).

But hey, you really don't need to know ahead of time. Just leave
at least one memory slot open on your mainboard.

Good luck.

Old September 6th 05, 08:11 PM
TonyC

"jammie" wrote in message
news:7_311139_b97e80e1b47670fc16eea1a63d739450@har dwareforumz.com...
[...]

AMD64 is faster for games, I wouldn't touch P4 unless heavily into video
encoding.

Of your choices I'd pick the 2nd, you can always add anothe Gig of RAM
later.

Old September 6th 05, 09:06 PM
kony

On 6 Sep 2005 14:42:17 -0400, jammie
wrote:

I am about to build a new computer and would like to know what setup
people think i will need to play games like Battlefield 2.

The maximum i can afford is
P4 3.2 GHZ 775
PCI-E Gigabyte motherboard
2 gig ram
x800xl graphics card

I would like to play the upcoming and future games smoothly will this
system be able to haddle that.

The other option is
P4 3.0 GHZ 775
PCI-E Gigabyte motherboard
1 gig ram
7800gt

This is better than the first system. Better to get that
video card then later, IF you find Task Manager reports
memory running out, add another .5-1 Gig of memory. I also
agree with the other posters' comment about A64 for gaming.
That P4 will just run hot and do you nothing positive unless
you ran other things a P4 is best suited towards.

I have been told that the 2 gig of ran in the first system would help
extremly and that the 7800gt isnt needed for most games and that the
x800xl will be fine.

Are you really building a box only to run 1 game? Bad
long-term strategy, IMO... if there can be such a thing as a
"long-term" gaming box. Yes you're better off with a little
more than 1GB memory, but all the memory in the world won't
speed up a video card when you come upon that game that
needs it in the future. IMO 7800gt has better long-term
viability and is the better option for a gaming box in
general, ignoring specifics of BF2.

What you might do is compromise, buy a 1GB memory module now
and see how it does. You'll loose out on dual-channel mode
but can see if the performance is suitable as-is, and if
not, you merely need buy 1, 1GB module then. This is
assuming you were buying 2 x 512MB modules for the 1GB total
configuration. The video card is also reusable if you were
to eventually upgrade the board and CPU, since a P4 @
3-3.2GHz will also become a bottleneck in future gaming.

Plz help with this as i am stuck for advice plz keep in mind that
battlefield 2 and the upcoming games will use over 1 gig of ram.

"Will use" is true, but "necessary" usually is not. Game
developers tend to make effort for their games to be
playable on moderate systems as well as high-end, else they
lose a lot of marketability. If you are planning on
replacing this gaming box 1 year from now, I might suggest
2GB of memory and the slower video card, but for long-term,
I'd get the faster card and decide later whether or not to
extend the budget for another Gig of memory.
Old September 7th 05, 06:46 AM
jammie

wrote:

[...]

Wot AMD would u suggest think i only have enough money for a 3400+
would that b alryt 4 a while?

Thanks for the help Guys

Jamie

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-B...pict61686.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311202

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 7th 05, 03:37 PM
Clyde

As long as we are on the subject of Battlefield 2, I curious about
running it on my system. I am not a gamer; just ask my kids.

I have recently been running my video on my homebuilt system on a TNT2
with all of 16MB of memory. That is only so the integrated video doesn't
interfere with system memory. I recently upgraded Photoshop to CS2 and
learned that Adobe recommends a video card with 128MB of memory or more.
This seems to solve a lot of speed and stability issues with CS2. So, I
found an ATI 9550 with 256MB of memory pretty cheap.

The only thing 3D on my system are the graphics in iTunes and WMP. And
they aren't much. So, I've given a bit of thought to a 3D game. (I could
also use the recreation from time to time.) I'd like to find out what my
system with the 9550 will actually do.

Simulation games seem to be the only thing that interest me and I'm not
into shooters. (Well, real live shooting is much more fun.) Battlefield
2 seems like it might be interesting. I read somewhere about Black &
White 2 coming out and it sounds interesting too. I'm so out of it that
I don't even know what games are out there. (49 year old fart)

Does anyone have any idea how well Battlefield 2 would run on my system?
What other strategy games are out there for us old and slow guys?

P4 3.2 GHz Prescott (Yes, properly cooled. I work Photoshop pretty hard.)
2 GB of RAM in Dual Channel
ATI 9550 video card
WD Raptor 36.5 GB 10K for swap and scratch space
Plenty of HD space
etc.

Thanks,
Clyde
Old September 8th 05, 07:54 AM
jaster

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:37:23 -0500, Clyde wrote:

[...]

I don't have BF2 but recommend Blitzkrieg, War Lords Battle Cry,
Home World I and II, Catalysm, Ground Control I and II all strategy
games. Waiting on HW III and GC III.

Call of Duty, Breed, Far Cry are action games were you are the shooter but
you have missions to accomplish that you have to think about which
weapons, were to hide, how to sneak in where. Sometimes I forgot the AI
in COD and Far Cry were not humans.

Does anyone have any idea how well Battlefield 2 would run on my system?
What other strategy games are out there for us old and slow guys?

P4 3.2 GHz Prescott (Yes, properly cooled. I work Photoshop pretty
hard.) 2 GB of RAM in Dual Channel
ATI 9550 video card
WD Raptor 36.5 GB 10K for swap and scratch space Plenty of HD space etc.

It's not the top of the line card for gaming but it has Directx 9.x
support. It'll run a little slow in the very, heavy action screens, lots
of little things moving but it's good enough for you, BF2 and most games
available. I played all those games and FS2004 on a XP2000+, GeForce
TI4200-128 no problem.

Old September 8th 05, 03:48 PM
Clyde

jaster wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the game suggestions. I'll look into them. It's good to know
that my video card will handle them.

Clyde